Author Topic: R.I.P. Marcia Wallace  (Read 6272 times)

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5136
  • Mr. Robot
R.I.P. Marcia Wallace
« on: October 26, 2013, 11:04:22 AM »
Marcia Wallace, best known as Mrs. Krabappel from the Simpsons and Carol from the Bob Newhart Show died on the 25th from complications due to breast cancer.  This is really sad and a reminder how great the character of Edna Krabappel was and the humanity that Wallace gave her (she's one of the few characters who really improved as the show aged, becoming less one note, while others became more).  I admit I'm not too familiar with the Bob Newhart show to comment on that, but Marcia's voice had certainly been a constant presence in my life and I'm saddened to know that it will no longer be there.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/rip-marcia-wallace-aka-the-simpsons-mrs-krabappel,104770/

Offline Toyland Chairman

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 78
    • Toyland: The First DEMONIC TOYS Homepage
Re: R.I.P. Marcia Wallace
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2013, 12:10:15 PM »
She's been a part of THE SIMPSONS since the Golden Age (seasons 4-9) and the Silver Age (seasons 10-13), back when the show had no equal in my opinion. I think my favorite line of her's was when the class watch that Fuzzy Bunny sexual education video, and during the sex scene Edna says "she's faking it".

Marcia was also in THE CASTAWAYS ON GILLIGAN'S ISLAND and GHOULIES III: GHOULIES GO TO COLLEGE.
For DEMONIC TOYS and updates on Full Moon Films:
www.freewebs.com/demonictoys/

Offline Thrifty Version II

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 556
  • Now with 30% Less Fat!
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, 12:25:55 PM »
Oooh... I wonder how the producers of The Simpsons are gonna handle this.  They can recast the voice, but folks are gonna notice.

I've been saying for years that I think the only thing that will get The Simpsons off the air is the mortality of the voice actors.  Harry Shearer is 69.  He sure can't do another 25 years.  Dan Castalleneta is 55.  Hank Azaria is a relatively young 49.  It'll be weird when such iconic television disappears.

Offline Toyland Chairman

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 78
    • Toyland: The First DEMONIC TOYS Homepage
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2013, 12:32:41 PM »
Oooh... I wonder how the producers of The Simpsons are gonna handle this.  They can recast the voice, but folks are gonna notice.

Chances are they won't recast, just like with Phil Hartman, and Edna will probably just become the occasional background character. Marcia was with the show even longer than Phil was.
For DEMONIC TOYS and updates on Full Moon Films:
www.freewebs.com/demonictoys/

Offline doggans

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 453
  • w00tstock Photobomb is TEARING Zombie Wiseau APAHT
    • doggans.com
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2013, 06:13:37 PM »
Marcia was fantastic in everything. I loved her on The Simpsons, I loved her on The Bob Newhart Show, I loved her on That's My Bush...she was consistently hilarious, and it's so sad to see her go.

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 1185
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2013, 07:34:35 PM »

I've been saying for years that I think the only thing that will get The Simpsons off the air is the mortality of the voice actors.  Harry Shearer is 69.  He sure can't do another 25 years.  Dan Castalleneta is 55.  Hank Azaria is a relatively young 49.  It'll be weird when such iconic television disappears.

From the Simpsons facebook. 

I was tremendously saddened to learn this morning of the passing of the brilliant and gracious Marcia Wallace. She was beloved by all at "The Simpsons" and we intend to retire her irreplaceable character.

Earlier we had discussed a potential storyline in which a character passed away. This was not Marcia's Edna Krabappel. Marcia's passing is unrelated and again, a terrible loss for all who had the pleasure of knowing her.

• Big Montana
  • Now with 30% Less Fat!
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2013, 08:37:27 PM »
Krabappel is a pretty major character.  Troy McClure and Lionel Hutz were more minor recurring characters.

I guess they'll just have to come up with a new full time character to be Bart's teacher.  This is really weird though.  She has literally been there since the first episode.  Krabappel was such a detailed and fleshed out character that I can't comprehend the show without her.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2013, 03:13:07 AM »
So long Ms. K  :'(
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 1185
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2013, 06:52:09 AM »
Krabappel? I've been calling her Crandall. Why didn't someone tell me? Oh, I've been making an idiot out of myself!

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6861
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2013, 07:57:54 AM »
why does ned keep killing his wives?
dF = 0
d*F = J

Online The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4475
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2013, 05:08:52 PM »
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

• Big Montana
  • Now with 30% Less Fat!
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2013, 06:08:50 PM »
Maybe they'll just have Groening's voice saying "I HAVE TO GO NOW.  MY HOME PLANET NEEDS ME." followed by Krabappel floating out of frame.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5136
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2013, 06:12:10 PM »
It's been announced that the character will simply be retired, though how literal that is remains to be seen.

Again, Krabappel was a great character and managed actually to strengthen as the show went on, while a lot of long running characters became a bit more one note (in fact, I think her with Flanders proved to be a surprisingly effective move to invigorate the character of Ned, who was getting increasingly one note).

I wish I could find this in English, but this late series episode opener was really effective to me.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/mmYQyzdUZGs" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/mmYQyzdUZGs</a>

On a lighter note...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/WLNkbRvraho" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/WLNkbRvraho</a>

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2645
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2013, 10:55:36 PM »
I'll always think of her first for being on the Bob Newhart show, and for the game shows she was on when I was a kid.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2383
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2013, 12:43:07 AM »
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing