login

Author Topic: List of Crap #75: Top 50 Ghosts Countdown  (Read 23810 times)

Offline ColeStratton

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 294
  • I'm king of the room!
    • SF Sketchfest
Re: List of Crap #75: Top 50 Ghosts Countdown
« Reply #120 on: October 31, 2013, 05:52:46 PM »
This list was BOOOOOOOOOOtiful!

Here's mine:

1.   Large Marge (Pee-Wee’s Big Adventure)
2.   Slimer (Ghostbusters)
3.   Beetlejuice (Beetlejuice)
4.   Dennis Pearson (Buffy the Vampire Slayer)
5.   Nearly Headless Nick (Harry Potter series)
6.   Dr. Malcolm Crowe (The Sixth Sense)
7.   Sam Wheat (Ghost)
8.   Subway Ghost (Ghost)

9.   Johan Krauss (Hellboy II)
10.   LeChuck (The Secret of Monkey Island)
11.   Zero (The Nightmare Before Christmas)
12.   Boo (Mario Bros. video games)

13.   Ghost Rider (Ghost Rider comics)
14.   Elliot Hopper (Ghost Dad)
15.   Samara (The Ring)
16.   Casper the Friendly Ghost
17.   The Headless Horseman (Sleepy Hollow)
18.   Jacob Marley (A Christmas Carol)
19.   Grace Stewart (The Others)

20.   The Scoleri Brothers (Ghostbusters II)
21.   Cyrus (The Frighteners)
22.   Inky, Blinky, Pinky and Clyde (Pac-Man
23.   Starscream's Ghost (Transformers)
24.   Space Ghost (Space Ghost)

25.   Johnny Bartlett (The Frighteners)
My website!: www.colestratton.com
My podcast!: www.popmyculturepodcast.com
My comedy fest!: www.sfsketchfest.com
My goodness!

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 744
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #121 on: November 03, 2013, 07:32:55 AM »
I wish I could have participated in this list, but my hard drive crashed a few weeks ago, and I only just recently got it replaced. Still in the process of reinstalling everything.

But if I had submitted a list, The Winchester Mansion would have been my #1. I've been there, and it's insane. Staircases that go nowhere. Doors that open to the outside, that aren't on the ground floor. Trap doors, secret passages, one of which leads to a seance room. There's even a pair of cabinets, facing each other, one of which just opens to a wall, while the other opens to an entire room. Sarah Winchester served as her own architect, and it's clear she had no idea what she was doing.

Unfortunately, the top two floors were destroyed by an earthquake in 1906. There used to be a bell tower too, but it's not there any more. I really wish I could have seen the place as it was when she died.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #122 on: November 03, 2013, 07:35:21 AM »
it's clear she had no idea what she was doing.
No, no I think she had a very clear and definite idea of what she was doing.....

Offline stethacantus

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 95
« Reply #123 on: November 03, 2013, 01:59:58 PM »
My list vanished. In true ghost fashion, my ghost list vanished. I cut and pasted it onto the PM and completely forgot to back it up. Now the list is no longer on my WordPad. I still have the preliminary list from a different WordPad with my 25 ghosts in alphabetical order, so I know which ghosts I submitted, just not the final ranking I gave them.

I know my top 4 were the following:
#1 Blair Witch
#3 Merlyn Temple
#2 Flying Dutchman
#4 Nip-Su Sin

And the bottom 4 were the following:
#22 Inky
#23 Blinky
#24 Pinky
#25 Clyde

The following ghosts on my list made the final 50

# Large Marge
# Booberry
I always found it intriguing that monsters were the mascots of their own individual cereals. Especially Count Chocula, who as a vampire would have needed the blood of victims to survive. In other words, a cereal based on a mass murderer. For the longest time it was just the Count and his nemesis Frankenberry hawking their individual cereals, then after a few years they were joined by a third monster, Booberry, who I am assuming was the ghost of one of Count Chocula's many victims. One summer the monster cereals began offering a free record as a prize. There were three records, "The Monsters Go Disco", "The Monsters Go To Hollywood" and the elusive "The Monsters In Space". My mother frowned upon buying us cereal coated with sugar ( which were all technically clumps of sugar coated with cereal ) and we usually ate Raisin Bran or Cheerios instead. But once she got us one monster cereal with the free record, she had to get more so everyone had their own record. Everyone got the Disco and Hollywood record, but for some reason the Space record never showed up. In the end we had three spare Disco records and five spare Hollywood records, but the Space record was as rare as Bigfoot. We rotated the monster cereals, and Booberry was the one I liked eating the most. But they still owe me that f*&king record.
# Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come ( which I listed as The Ghost of Christmas Future )

and

# Jasper
# Grubb
# Boo
# Moss

which are the names of the Lonesome Ghosts.

Here is what did not make the Top 50:

# Babe Ruth
With the recent World Series win by the Boston Red Sox, it seems ridiculous that just a decade ago Bosox fans believed that their team was the victim of the Curse of the Bambino. Way back in 1919 the owner of the Red Sox traded Babe Ruth to the NY Yankees. Ruth went on to be one of Baseball's greatest players, while the Red Sox went through a 96 year drought where they were unable to win another World Series title. The idea that Babe Ruth had somehow cursed the Red Sox only dates back to 1990, but soon after the legend expanded to include Babe Ruth's Ghost causing things like Bill Buckner to allow the game winning run to roll through his legs. 
# Brown Lady of Raynham Hall
This ghost is reported to have haunted Britain's Raynham Hall. She is suspected to be Lady Dorothy Walpole, the sister of Robert Walpole, Great Britain's first Prime Minister.  Various accounts had Dorothy imprisoned in her room at Raynham Hall until her death by smallpox in 1726. Starting in 1865 visitors at the hall reported to have seen the ghost of a woman wearing a brown dress who looked a lot like Lady Walpole's portrait. In 1936 photographers for Country Life magazine photographed the ghost walking down a staircase.

# Ghost from Ren & Stimpy episode "Haunted House"
# Grant Pritchard

Grant and his wife Claire were enjoying a leisurely drive in the country when they were both simultaneously killed in a car wreck. Returning to his home as a ghost, Grant was forced to put up with the obnoxious Mike Dooley and his equally annoying family that moved into his house. He was eager to use his Ghostly powers to haunt the Dooley into leaving, but his wife ( also a ghost ) browbeat him into promising not to scare anyone.  Grant and Claire remained invisible and undetected by the Dooley's, until Liz Dooley's father Jack Garrett moved in. Jack could not only hear but see the Pritchards, and being an old codger could not care less that he was living among ghosts. This was the premise for the NBC sitcom "Nearly Departed" which was created for British comedian Eric Idle. Six episodes were shot, and according to Idle NBC had asked him to shoot 8 more episodes. Then came the sudden unexpected cancelation. The fifth episode was still on the schedule as of 7:00 pm on May 8 1989. A promo for that nights episode aired at 7:55 pm. But at 8:00 what aired instead was a rerun of "Gimme a Break". NBC announced that the series was canceled due to low ratings, and the remaining two episodes never aired.
# Horatio Primm
During the American Revolution, Horatio Primm and a female friend Melody Allen are shot to death by Colonial soldiers who mistake them for British spies. They were on their way to warn George Washington of a plot against his army when they were killed trying to cross his lines. Mistaken for traitors, their bodies are thrown into a well, and cursed by a colonial commander to spend the rest of eternity haunting the estate. Unable to leave the perimeter of the estate, Horatio and Melody are trapped for 166 years, until in 1946 when the manor house is restored and for the first time in over 100 years a group of people stay over for the night. If he can somehow make contact with them and get them to find a lost letter that proves Horatio's innocence, then the curse would be broken and they both could move on to Heaven. Abbott and Costello had broken up as a comedy team in 1945, but were still under contract to make films for Universal Studio. As a result they made films like "The Time of Their Lives" where they were not featured as a team, but as separate characters in the same film. Shortly after this film was completed Abbott and Costello settled their differences and reteamed.
# Harry Houdini
This is a ghost that no one has ever seen or heard, but millions believe exists and spend every Halloween attempting to contact. This all stems from an incident in the late 1910's. Still grieving the death of his mother, Houdini was talked into visiting a spiritualist who could contact the dead.  Houdini immediately recognized the magic tricks of the spiritualist which was suppose to be his mother signaling him from beyond the grave. Outraged, Houdini decided to prove that all of the so called spiritualists were frauds, and spent the next decade exposing their tricks. Eventually psychics refused to perform seances in Houdini's presence. So he began visiting them in disguise. He was so determined to continue debunking spiritualists that he made plans to continue even after he died. Houdini gave his wife Bess a secret code phrase that the psychics were to repeat should they legitimately contact him. On Halloween 1926, Houdini died from a ruptured appendix. For the next 10 years Bess attempted to contact her husband on seances held every Halloween, but none of the psychics ever produced the secret phrase. Although Bess officially gave up trying to contact Houdini in 1936,  magicians worldwide continue to hold seances every Halloween.
# Jonathan Wellington Muddlemore aka  The Funky Phantom
The thing I like most about this ghost, is that he is a character in a Saturday morning cartoon for kids, and yet he had what must have been a horrific agonizing death. Jonathan and his cat managed to get themselves locked in a grandfathers clock back in 1776, and it would not be opened again for another 200 years when a group of trespassing teenagers decided to investigate his now abandoned house. Once the clock was opened the ghost of Muddlemore and his cat popped out, and now finally freed decided to join the teenagers on their cross country trek to solve mysteries. But the fact remains that Muddlemore and his cat died from being trapped in a box. No one responded to his desperate screams for help, and for the next week or two they both slowly starved to death. But at least their horrific tragedy was the perfect set up for a zany Saturday morning cartoon show.
# "Uncle" Lewis Vendredi
In a deal with Satan, Lewis Vendredi sold cursed antiques from his shop. One night Lewis decided he no longer wanted to work for the devil, therefore reneging on his side of the deal. He was promptly pulled down an elevator shaft and directly to Hell. Thus began the first episode of "Friday the 13th: The Series". Now that Lewis was dead, the antique shop went to his closest living heirs, his nephew Ryan and his niece Micki. Unaware that the antiques were cursed they quickly sold most of them off in a fire sale as an attempt to convert their inheritance into cash as soon as possible. After discovering what they had done, they spent the rest of the series tracking down each individual antique, each of which had it's own dark magic. Lewis would return a few times during the run of the series as a malevolent ghost. He was given a new deal with the devil to steal Ryan and Miki's soles in trade of having his own soul released from hell, and possibly even being granted a new life. Uncle Lewis was the best and only recurring villain of the series.
# Lucy Muir
SPOILER
One of my earliest memories was of the television shows I watched as a kid. In the afternoons the local channels usually aired cartoons beginning at 2pm Then beginning around 4:00 there was a gradual segue into more adult programming, first with live action shows that appealed to kids like "The Little Rascals", "Batman" or "Lost in Space", followed by fantasy based sitcoms like "Bewitched", "I Dream of Jeannie" or "The Nanny and the Professor", then into high concept sitcoms like "Gilligan's Island", "Get Smart" or "The Beverly Hillbillies", then shows that still appealed to young adults like "The Partridge Family" or "The Brady Bunch", followed by zany adult sitcoms like "I Love Lucy" or "The Honeymooners" before heading into something like "Adam-12" by 7:00. There was also a similar segue of programming in the morning hours.  Somewhere in that mix was a sitcom called "The Ghost & Mrs Muir" which which featured the widow Lucy Muir and her two kids living in a house that was haunted by a friendly ghost of a captain.  There was also Charles Nelson Reilly who played the goofy landlord who was often chased off by the captain. The series was based on an old Hollywood movie which one of the stations decided to air one night. My mother was eager for us to be exposed to classic films other than "The Wizard of Oz" and thought we would be interested in seeing the movie one of our favorite sitcoms was based on. While there were some major differences, such as the cast and the year the movie was based in, and a romance between Mrs Muir and the Captain, we all soon accepted that these were the same characters we loved from the sitcom. But then the movie ended showing Lucy Muir old and living alone in the house, and finally dropping dead of old age. The Captian's ghost shows up to reunite with Mrs Muir who is now a ghost. A nice romantic ending to the film, but a complete shock to kids between the ages of 5 and 8 who were associating the movie with the zany sitcom of the same name. We just watched a beloved character die. My sister left the room in tears and spent the rest of the night crying. I myself spent the rest of the evening stunned. My mother was also shaken because she had either forgotten how the movie ended, or had never seen it before, and was not yet ready to have that talk with us about what death was. It did make it easier for her to take us to see Bambi a couple of years later now that the topic was behind us.
# Spike
The vampire Spike had been killed in the final episode of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer", but then turned up as a ghost in the season 5 opener of "Angel". About halfway through the series he is returned to a mortal, or at least undead, status.

I have to protest that the rules of the ghost hunter list where you could only list individuals. So basically you could not count the entire Ghost Busters as a single unit, but rather list the individual characters. The problem being there are not that many likable ghost hunters that work as individuals, and many likable ghost hunting groups. So if you liked the Ghost Busters then that was four positions on your list gone. I was forced to list the members of the Ajax Ghost Exterminators as separate individuals, knocking two other rankings including the Ghost Busters off my list. And the only reason I am complaining now is that I noticed that their target, The Lonesome Ghosts, were all bunched as a single ranking on the final list. ( I gave them all separate rankings, but with an * that they were really tied for the same place. )

My ghost hunter list was as follows:

# Carl Kolchak
# Sherlock Holmes

He counts. The Hound of the Baskervilles was reportedly a ghost dog for most of the novel. BTW, the basic plot of this book was the model for every Scooby Doo cartoon.
# Mickey ( from Ajax )
# Goofy  ( from Ajax )
# Donald ( from Ajax )
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 02:16:25 PM by stethacantus »

Offline Raven

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 177
  • Nevermore...
« Reply #124 on: November 03, 2013, 07:04:04 PM »
Let's put this in the right place.

Here's mine.  My browser glitched while I was reading through the thread and for a second I thought Slimer didn't make the list at all.  lol

1.  Beetlejuice
2.  Large Marge- Pee Wee's Big Adventure
3.  Ghost of Christmas Present- Scrooged
4.  The Vanishing Hitchiker Urban Legend
5.  Casper the Friendly ghost
6.  Stay Puff Marshmallow Man Ghost Busters
7.  Slimer-Ghost Busters
8.  Headless Horseman
9.  Ghost and the Darkness- African Lions
10. Clyde- Pac Man
11. Nearly Headless Nick-Harry Potter
12. Jackyl -Thirteen Ghosts