Author Topic: Batman VS Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016)  (Read 42188 times)

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2510
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
Re: Batman VS Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016)
« Reply #360 on: April 10, 2016, 10:45:02 AM »
If I were to overgeneralize, a bit, I'd say DC comics are very much about perfect people in a flawed world. Marvel is about flawed people in a flawed world. But the real world has grown maybe a bit cynical and it's hard for us to accept perfect people. (I dare say that's what Superman Vs. Batman is all about.) So DC is left with two options: Give the cynical world a non-cynical superhero movie (Which probably wouldn't be the disaster that movie studios seem to think it would be) or make the perfect heroes flawed, which irks people who know they're supposed to be better.

Marvel just lucked out that the type of story they specialize in is the type of story the world wants to hear at the exact same time that we started enjoying comic book movies. You don't have to change Spider-Man or Hulk or Iron Man to get the audience to buy into them.

Offline Henry88

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 600
  • Riff Super Monsters
« Reply #361 on: April 10, 2016, 11:26:10 AM »
for the best riffers of the age got to
 www.robotco-op.com

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2268
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #362 on: April 10, 2016, 03:46:32 PM »
...So DC is left with two options: Give the cynical world a non-cynical superhero movie (Which probably wouldn't be the disaster that movie studios seem to think it would be)...

See also: Captain America
FINE

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1223
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #363 on: April 10, 2016, 06:49:40 PM »

...So DC is left with two options: Give the cynical world a non-cynical superhero movie (Which probably wouldn't be the disaster that movie studios seem to think it would be)...

By 'studios' do you mean Warner Bros and maybe Fox, because Marvel seems 100% fine with it
Scottotd on Instagram or @Scottotd on the Tweety :)

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #364 on: April 10, 2016, 07:09:14 PM »

By 'studios' do you mean Warner Bros and maybe Fox, because Marvel seems 100% fine with it

It could certainly be argued that one of the best things about Marvel is how much it's not acting like other studios - And how much the other studios are struggling to recapture what they are doing.
FINE

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
    • Facebook
« Reply #365 on: April 10, 2016, 07:26:23 PM »

It could certainly be argued that one of the best things about Marvel is how much it's not acting like other studios - And how much the other studios are struggling to recapture what they are doing.

I'd say the X-Men movies aren't really cynical and Deadpool was but in a way that worked 100% with the character so it's really just F4

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

Offline RoninFox

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 2358
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #366 on: May 01, 2016, 01:07:01 PM »
Finally saw it. I feel like there is a decent movie in there, hitting a lot of the notes I wanted it to. Unfortunately it was buried under a hot mess of bullshit.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
FINE

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
    • Facebook
« Reply #368 on: May 03, 2016, 02:26:38 AM »
https://cdn.ampproject.org/c/www.vox.com/platform/amp/2016/5/2/11565932/zack-snyder-justice-league

I fail to understand why they remain so tied to Goyer and Snyder, isn't Nolan supposed to be overseeing this stuff? 

If you've got a plan for 6-7 movies, the first big one is panned and you think it 'under-performed' despite making money surely you look at the big picture and throw money at people like Jon Favreau, Paul Dini, Joss Whedon, Guillermo Del Toro, Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick, Shane Black, etc, etc to write, direct or consult on what you already have invested in and right the ship.

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #369 on: May 03, 2016, 05:39:06 PM »
https://cdn.ampproject.org/c/www.vox.com/platform/amp/2016/5/2/11565932/zack-snyder-justice-league

I fail to understand why they remain so tied to Goyer and Snyder, isn't Nolan supposed to be overseeing this stuff? 

He acts in an 'advisory capacity' from my understanding, but i don't really know how much input he has at all. Meanwhile we have seen Snyder and Goyer produce similar dreck plenty of times before plus say outright offensive, misguided and crazy things about comics in interviews constantly. I don't find the Dark Knight trilogy as great as I think most do, but at least I think the problems I have with it don't come from contempt for the source material.
FINE

Offline RoninFox

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 2358
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #370 on: May 04, 2016, 04:35:47 AM »

He acts in an 'advisory capacity' from my understanding, but i don't really know how much input he has at all. Meanwhile we have seen Snyder and Goyer produce similar dreck plenty of times before plus say outright offensive, misguided and crazy things about comics in interviews constantly. I don't find the Dark Knight trilogy as great as I think most do, but at least I think the problems I have with it don't come from contempt for the source material.

I can tell, if nothing else, Nolan loved The Long Halloween, he borrowed enough from it.

Makes sense I'd like his movies more than a Snyder Batman, just by how much I enjoyed and relished Long Halloween compared to how I slogged through reading DKR.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5173
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #371 on: May 04, 2016, 08:59:18 AM »

Makes sense I'd like his movies more than a Snyder Batman, just by how much I enjoyed and relished Long Halloween compared to how I slogged through reading DKR.
I've never read TLH but presumably it has Batman behaving like we normally are used to Batman, not killing, etc. Whereas TDKR was all about Batman behaving OUT OF CHARACTER, which was meaningful because of the history of the character. Something that doesn't apply when it's his first appearance in this particular series of movies.

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
FINE

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5173
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #373 on: January 24, 2018, 09:10:46 PM »
Instead of bonding over the fact their mothers have the same name, it would have made more sense if this Batman and Superman had bonded over the fact they both kill people.
"You kill people!"
"You kill people!"
"...you want to be friends?"
"YEAH!"
Cut to Batman and Superman skipping, holding hands, 'Happy Together' playing, as they massacre an orphanage.