Author Topic: October Horror Movie a Day 2013  (Read 18930 times)

Online The Lurker

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4126
Re: October Horror Movie a Day 2013
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2013, 04:04:34 PM »
Okay, sticking this here, just because it's appropriate.

Warning: This is a tale of monster sex. This story was written to unlock your darkest fantasies and innermost desires. It is not for the faint of heart and is not your mother's erotica. All of the sexual descriptions found in this book are very explicit in nature. It's not suitable for someone under 18 years of age. Read at your own risk.

In a land before time, Layla hunts for her tribe.  The men belittle and threaten her, a woman who hunts like a man, until, desperate, she sets out alone after the most fearsome beast in the world- a T-Rex.

As she hunts the giant predator, a very special T-Rex is hunting her- this T-Rex has psychic powers and a desire for human flesh.  Naked and alone, Layla bargains with the beast: her body for her life.

Can Layla accept the beast’s carnal demands?  Can her body accommodate its relentless desire?  Can she hold to her part of the bargain?  Or will she become the T-Rex’s next meal?

...okay, giving up on humanity now.  Bye everyone! Heading to Venus!

Offline losingmydignity

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 272
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2013, 05:15:49 PM »
Speaking of naughty bits...I've been watching the 1972 Blood Sabbath (not to be confused with Black Sabbath) on youtube. Would be a great riff but there's lots of full frontal female nudity. It's directed by Jerry Warren's wife--so that explains a lot. Guy gives up his soul to witches to be with water nymph. Hilarious.
My work schedule precludes watching one horror film a day, but I'll check in when can.
"Do you know how I can get rid of my soul?" our hero asks the priest.

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 199
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2013, 05:45:51 PM »
Speaking of the V/H/S movies (well, speaking off before Taken by a T-Rex became the most frightening thing I've seen all day), I actually asked for us to order both V/H/S and V/H/S 2 at work...I did want to watch them this year to see if they're worth the fuss.  Also got the Grave Encounters movies...and before anyone says those suck, too, be forewarned I told us to get Sharknado on the shelves as well.  I do not discriminate when it comes to showcasing crap to our customers.  I may not recommend some of these films to others, but I'll be damned if I shun them outright.  ;)

Anywho, Day 4: Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters

I'll admit it: this movie is fairly dumb and predictable.  But you know what?  I liked it.  Not only is Jeremy Renner just fun to watch doing nearly anything, but hat tip to whoever designed the troll in this movie.  It made my day to see an oversized monster in a movie and have it be a live-action animatronic instead of another damn CG creation (well, I think his eyes might've been CG, but even then I don't think they were the whole time, either).  Hell, ALL the makeup looked pretty good.  It was enough to make me almost overlook the CG gore...almost.  But at least there was plenty of the real stuff in there to make me happy that there are still moviemakers out there who know that it just looks nicer on film, and damn adding it later.
If you haven't seen it, the whole film is a spin on the Hansel & Gretel story, where after cooking the witch in her own oven, the two siblings decide to make a career out of getting rid of any witch they can find.  When the grand high evil witch of a small town (Famke Janssen, who at the end of the movie starts doing what sounds like a Dr. Evil impression, which is hilarious) kidnaps children in an overwrought plot to make herself invincible, Hansel & Gretel go out to rescue the children...while finding out why their parents abandoned them in that forest so many years ago.
While it is darkly humorous, it isn't quite the laugh riot you might expect from a film produced by Will Ferrell and Adam McKay...it mostly feels like someone reached back, grabbed an '80s fantasy movie, and updated it with some minor CG and better effects.  The scene with the troll and Gretel actually feels like a scene stolen directly from something like Legend, especially with the soundtrack.  Of course, the 80s didn't have Peter Stormare, who has fun here as a weaselly Sheriff.
And sure, the main cast all have the wrong accents for German folklore, but here it seems like they did that on purpose.  I recommend.
RIFFABILITY: Medium.  It has a good pace that would be easy to riff, but the fact that it works as a comedy does sort of make the proceedings difficult.
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 972
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2013, 06:34:56 PM »
Yeah, I saw the other Sims "novels" including the "Mounted by the Gryphon" one. My faith in humanity is still on rather shaky ground.  Hey! Let's see if the next horror film helps restore my faith in my fellow human beings.

Blackout (2008)

Three strangers get trapped in an elevator. But one of them is the devil! And... Oh, wait. That's Devil.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yeah, not really helping the cause there.

It's actually not too badly done. Actual recognizable actors. Good pacing. A nice sense of tension that ramps up.  Decently shot. Just a rather grim film.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 12:56:03 AM by Compound »

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4671
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2013, 07:58:33 PM »
The Conjuring

A not very scary movie has some effective and clever moments, but largely trades in jump out and saying boo.  The characters are completely uninteresting and it is really hard to get invested.  The funny thing is they set up a room full of "haunted objects" that's inherently more interesting.  MAKE A MOVIE ABOUT THAT!

Offline Raven

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 177
  • Nevermore...
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2013, 12:27:47 AM »
Day 4:  Night of the Living Dead. 5/5 I whole-heartily love the collective works of George Romero and I caught this on TCM while at work tonight.   The ending of this movie is the strongest of his titles and I can't wait for the riffed version.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2013, 08:47:53 AM »
Frankenstein's Army 4/5

A Euro film made out in the Czech country area......all and all, not bad at all.

I was wondering how a "Frankenstein" monster could cause any damage in the modern age (hello, we got guns) to the Soviet Army invading Germany.....but they did a good job of this by following a small group of soldiers on a mission, so they got away with it just fine.  Don't want to give away too much of the story, but the acting was fine and the monsters were weird as hell and creepy.

Offline SJP

• Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2013, 05:16:40 PM »
Day 5: John Carpenter's The Ward (2010)

I've always been waiting for the day when John Carpenter would come close to his pre-90s awesomeness.  And how does The Ward stack up?  Eh, I'd stick it between Prince of Darkness and Escape from L.A.  It's not Ghost of Mars "What the hell was I thinking?" bad...it's actually not BAD...but it's a far cry from The Thing, Halloween, and of course, Big Trouble in Little China.

Kristen, who starts the movie burning down a house, is dragged away by the cops and thrown into a mental institution, where Dr. Stringer (Jared Harris) tells her he is trying to cure her (note the movie takes place in 1966, so the state of mental care may vary).  Locked up in a wing with several other troubled girls, she tries on numerous occasions to escape, but also keeps seeing a weird, zombie-like creature roaming the halls, which starts picking off the girls one by one.  As Kristen tries to figure out who this creature is and why the doctors don't even seem to care about what's happening, the darker truth behind her imprisonment begins to take shape.

Ok, the acting is good, and the characters well-defined, but there's something that bothers me about this...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
If you didn't read the spoiler, just know that John Carpenter pretty much ripped off something else, which is a sad, sad day for him.  He pretty much built the slasher genre.  He shouldn't have to copy wholesale from other directors.  Not a bad film, certainly quite watchable...just still not quite the Carpenter we wish he would be.  But it's a hell of a lot better than 90s Carpenter, who I hope vanished as a result of a certain hot needle blood test. ;)  Actually, speaking of which, that's another point in the movie's favor: practical effects.  Not much CGI that I could detect, if any.
RIFFABILITY: High.  Dialogue isn't as bad as the last few films I've watched, but it has a good pace and a premise that gets sillier the further in it goes.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4671
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2013, 06:18:44 PM »
A Rifftrax trifecta!

Robin's Wild Ride

Because... Batman is spooky?  Well, not this version.  Why doesn't the Wizard use his powers more interesting.  Much more interesting than the super-dull gangster that Batman and Robin routinely get beat up by.

The Creeps Machine

A great Halloween short.  Also, I wish the video would tell me how to build my own Creeps Machine.

Tourist Trap

This is one I've been interested in before the VOD was announced because I remember seeing the trailer on youtube.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sDpxEdIxxg4" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sDpxEdIxxg4</a>

This one is fairly silly, but it feels like it should be scarier than it is.  It also feels like there's elements that are supposed to be funny that are half-way successful but not quite.  In fact, I would say that about much of the movie: not a good movie, but not far removed from a good movie.  It's got an incredibly wacky premise, but in a good, fun way.  I think that some moments feel like with a little altering that they could be both scary and funny rather than just silly (the scene were Jerry has his body taken apart is kind of neat but it isn't entirely effective).  And it does remain fun despite not being good.  I get the feeling that the makers wanted to make a fun horror flick.  Chuck Connors also seems to be having fun with his villain.  But the villain seems inconsistently constructed (it he a tortured guy with an evil second personality, or is he a fun loving killer who wants friends) and we are far too ahead of all of the twists, which is never good for a horror film.  I mean, being ahead of the characters is one thing: having much more knowledge of how much hot water they are in can make things tense.  But there's a bunch of stuff that is super-telegraphed.

The riff is, of course, great (I would have loved to see this one in the original MST3k).  And the film is not good, but it is fun and very watchable.

Offline Raven

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 177
  • Nevermore...
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2013, 01:34:04 AM »
Day 5:  Slither 4/5 Had never seen this before and it's a nice throwback to the 80s body horror films like The Fly and The Thing.  Michael Rooker is perfect casting for the big bad and it's awesome to see Nathan Fillian in anything.  A little confused as I watched this one thinking it was the trapped in a hotel room mind f*ck film which is apparently "Bug." So I guess I'll have to get that one for later in the month. 

Offline SJP

• Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2013, 01:34:19 PM »
Yes, Bug is completely different...think either William Peter Blatty or William Friedkin was involved.  One of the Exorcist guys, anyway.

The Howling (1981)
This movie has gone through some ups and downs for me.  When I first saw it as a kid, I thought it was terrifically freaky.  When I saw it in its entirety years later, I thought most of the movie was way campier and sillier than I remembered it.  Now looking at it, I realize the campiness and silliness is still there, but it was ALWAYS there.  Despite him coming onboard the project late, this is a Joe Dante production through and through, with the lighting, in-jokes, and throwbacks to the golden days of cartoons and filmmaking.  Sure, it goes a bit overboard, but it's supposed to.  And dammit if the werewolf effects still don't look good...even allowing for it being a 32-year-old film and the state of animatronics at the time, it's especially awesome when you read that Rob Bottin had to do the final transformation scene after the film ran over budget.  Maybe Werewolf in London looks more realistic, but the movie was way more 'realistic' as well, even though both are technically comedies.

Anyway, for those who've never seen it, Dee Wallace plays Karen White (because everyone's name in this is a joke name, for the most part), a reporter who has been invited by a weird stalker for an interview.  With the police in tow, she meets with the stalker, but he attacks her...and when she is rescued, she can't quite remember what she saw there.  Luckily for her, a doctor (Patrick MacNee) has been interviewed recently by her studio and is willing to help her remember as she convalesces at his resort, The Colony.  Unfortunately for Karen, The Colony's philosophy revolves unleashing the passion within...quite literally.

Maybe a little dated, but still great fun to watch.  Everyone in the cast is having fun except, reportedly, Robert Picardo, who hated having to endure his makeup for the role (which is funny, since four years later he played a green sea witch in Legend which had to have been a worse situation).  Also interesting to find out is that Chris, the nerdy reporter sidekick, is Dennis Dugan.  Even if you don't recognize him, he is responsible for directing numerous Adam Sandler projects.  Whether you find that funny or extra horrifying is up to you.

RIFFABILITY: High.  Movie is fun, but definitely goofy.  Besides, this has a scene where John Carradine shouts, "Let me burn!" while trying to jump into a campfire...that alone is comedy gold.

Offline JimJ

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 103
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2013, 06:08:04 PM »
Yes, Bug is completely different...think either William Peter Blatty or William Friedkin was involved.  One of the Exorcist guys, anyway.

It's Friedkin.  He also directed Killer Joe, which I loved.  Bug is great too.  Michael Shannon does crazy better than anyone.

BTW, I'm way behind.  I watched American Mary (it was OK, nothing special) on Friday and haven't watched anything since.  Will try to catch up sometime.  I started Silent House last night but ended up passing out not long after starting it and I've been watching football and playing GTA V all day today.  Maybe this weekend I'll try to watch a bunch to make up for my missed days.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1242
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2013, 02:51:03 AM »
1. The Hills Have Eyes (remake)
2. VHS
3. The Descent
4. John Carpenter's Prince of Darkness
5. Quarantine
6. Planet Terror
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline gojikranz

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 23
  • im baaaack
    • my facebook?
« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2013, 09:38:39 AM »
well theres no way i will get 31 movies in but we are watching scary movies when we can. 

Funhouse:
good creepy early 80's flick from Tobe Hooper, the scenes with the monster and his father were excellent and a pretty creepy makeup.  the stuff with the little boy was pretty superflous though still a fun ride.

Dawn of the Dead Argento Cut: we watched this because we are going to see Goblin live later this month and since this version has the most Goblin music in it seemed appropriate for a refresher.  still i wouldn't really recommend this version to anyone unless you are a fan of the original cut already.  far too many nice scenes cut out and losing some of the memorable library music (particularly that piece of music) hurts the film.  The Goblin music is good but it gets a bit repetitive without the other bits of music to mix it up the ending in particular feels wrong here with the different music.  there are a few added moments but overall it turns a brilliant film into a more normal film. 
MICROPHONE MANIAC COMING SOON!!
Promo Featurette: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vzYR6_-UqE

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 972
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2013, 12:23:46 PM »
Well, ranking high on the "things I've never considering seeing list but now have seen" list : A psychotic Punch and Judy killing folks.