login

Author Topic: October Horror Movie a Day 2013  (Read 18933 times)

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 972
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
Re: October Horror Movie a Day 2013
« Reply #165 on: October 30, 2013, 06:14:58 PM »
FYI: A few years ago Warren Ellis wrote a webcomic called Freakangels, which was basically "The Midwich Cuckoos grow up."

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4673
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #166 on: October 30, 2013, 07:37:53 PM »
I read the first three volumes of that, which was cool.  I never got around to actually reading it online.

Offline d00hickey

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 478
  • Rohan Stan the Jelly Man
« Reply #167 on: October 30, 2013, 09:49:34 PM »
Street Trash (1987) sitting through this whole movie made me loose my dignity.  :gouge:

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #168 on: October 30, 2013, 11:12:46 PM »
Like your dignity was set free?  But I kid typos.

That is the risk you take with a Troma film.  And by risk, I mean guarantee.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5475
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #169 on: October 31, 2013, 07:59:28 AM »
Street Trash (1987) sitting through this whole movie made me loose my dignity.  :gouge:
Yeah, that movie is really cool at the very beginning and the very end. The rest feels like a completely unrelated and pointless dirty grimy unlikable Tarentino-esque bullshit.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #170 on: October 31, 2013, 11:57:51 PM »
Watch three Halloween movies with friends last night.

Cabin in the Woods

A bunch of teens go to a cabin in the woods.  It plays out like you expect, until it doesn't.  I've seen it before but it's still pretty good.  Not too scary, but an incredibly fun film that is very rewatchable.  I know it's more Drew Goddard's film with some help from Whedon (all of the best dialogue, I imagine), but it makes me hope that he'll take the time to make something a bit more offbeat like this (and the recent Much Ado About Nothing) between his big Marvel projects.

Session 9

A rather good horror film, albeit one that doesn't quite live up to it's reputation.  Still it has some really frightening and unsettling moments.  A bunch of people are ordered to remove asbestos from an insane asylum closed and abandoned in the 80's.  One of them agrees to have it done within a week.  It's not as good as the directors next film The Machinist (which is funny because a lot of what was done in the Machinist was done here first.  Still, the film manages to make you unsettled but cleverly doesn't have the characters realize that something is wrong.  Until a certain point, there's signs all around the movie that something is off but it doesn't force the point and try to tell you to be scared.  Worth checking out.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/LsxkRNvEbhM" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/LsxkRNvEbhM</a>

Uzumaki

In the small town of Koruzo-cho, Kirie is worried about her boyfriend (who looks like the Japanese Crispen Glover).  He's become increasingly worried about his father, who has become obsessed with spirals.  But the madness seems to extend beyond him to the town as a whole.  What is going on in the town where everything that is a spiral seems to attract horror and death.

Sadly, this wasn't quite as good as I remember.  I think I was so in love with the comic it was based on when I was younger, I overlooked the film's faults.  The big one is that in trying to adapt an episodic comic, it introduces a lot of the elements, but never quite finishes its stories.  There are good points: it seems intentionally filmed like a wacky comedy at some points to make the whole affair a little more dizzying (a good strategy, but not entirely successful).  There are spirals hidden throughout the film.  There are small details of people walking backwards and a character lighting an unlit cinema.  There's a red herring where it looks like what the Hell is going on is going to be explained, but it isn't,which is good, because any explanation would take away from the horror (there was an explanation in the original, but it was incredibly vague).  Still, I would say it's problems outweigh the good points.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/E9DD538jdXo" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/E9DD538jdXo</a>

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 199
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #171 on: November 01, 2013, 09:26:51 AM »
Well, finished things up last night with...well, perhaps not the most hardcore movie ever, but themed well enough.

Day 31: Beetlejuice (1988)

When the Maitlands drown while running errands, they find they are bound as ghosts to their Connecticut home...which has been bought by the snobby, eccentric Dietz family.  Wanting to get rid of the Maitlands resort to anything and everything to scare them out, including hiring bio-exorcist Betelgeuse (what?  That's the way it's spelled in the movie!).  However, when they befriend Lydia Dietz, the teenage daughter who can see ghosts, they begin to rethink their feelings on the matter...but by that point, between the Dietzes wishing to exploit them and Betelgeuse running amok, it might be too late to make things right.

The movie that defined both Tim Burton and Danny Elfman forever.  Still funny, still just as weird as it ever was.  If you haven't seen it, or you haven't seen it lately, see it again.  It's worth it.  It's especially nice to see a pre-crazy Alec Baldwin as the least crazy person in the whole movie.

For everyone who finished, I plan on making a PDF of something nice...or not.  But I don't have it ready as of yet...I seem to have been busy most of the month engaged with some other activity...possibly involving watching movies...
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.

Offline Malt

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 89
« Reply #172 on: November 01, 2013, 10:02:46 PM »
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

My attempt was for all the movies to be new to me, and I was succesful in that. I hadn't seen any of these before, so that was cool. I tried not to review all of them, because I'm sure most of you are familiar with them already. Also once I get started I can tend to ramble. The only one that really warrants a review is BoF but I'm simply too tired right now. Happy belated Halloween!

Offline Malt

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 89
« Reply #173 on: November 01, 2013, 10:06:39 PM »

Session 9

A rather good horror film, albeit one that doesn't quite live up to it's reputation.  Still it has some really frightening and unsettling moments.

They should've based the story on the actual history of the building they filmed it in. Would've been much more interesting in my opinion. There's a behind the scenes on the dvd that explains it all, creepy stuff.

Oh and as for Beetlejuice, that was the very first movie I ever saw in theaters. I didn't even know what a theater was until that day. I've always loved it.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 10:10:44 PM by Malt Dismal »