login

Author Topic: Dark Souls (and Dark Souls 2)  (Read 16786 times)

Offline JimJ

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 103
Re: Dark Souls (and Dark Souls 2)
« Reply #105 on: July 27, 2014, 11:33:28 AM »
Anyone else playing the DLC?  I haven't played much but I'm really enjoying it.  The level design feels very Dark Souls 1 like, which is a great thing.  It is pretty damn difficult though.  Probably doesn't help that I'm on New Game ++, but I really don't feel like starting a new character to play it.
I feel your pain... and then some.  I went in with my main character on NG+13.  I was loving it until I hit the first boss.  Up until then I was in heaven because of the level design.  Bonfires 2 and 3 were both such HUGE reliefs to find, and I'd been missing that feeling.  Then when that shortcut wound back to the starting bonfire it was almost as good as taking the elevator down from Undead Parish for the first time and seeing the words: Firelink Shrine come up on the screen.  Brilliant level design.

Then I found a boss.  A boss that requires co-op to beat at NG+infinity.  As much as I love co-op, if I have to summon to be able to beat a boss I don't feel like I beat it; there's no satisfaction winning that way. 
So I moved on till I found another boss.  I couldn't believe it when I found that it too requires phantoms to beat.  So far I've been unable to solo either boss despite dozens of attempts.  My appreciation for the DLC is wearing thin.

If you haven't gotten there yet, I think you'll like the last boss more.  It is hard as balls and I still used summons, but definitely seemed doable solo.

Offline Blasarius Yonder

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 10
« Reply #106 on: July 28, 2014, 11:45:05 AM »
If you haven't gotten there yet, I think you'll like the last boss more.  It is hard as balls and I still used summons, but definitely seemed doable solo.
I went through with a different character just on NG+, and it was much more realistic, though I still summoned for Elana. 
That inspired me to go back on my main character, and I summoned a couple really good phantoms and we beat her.  What a relief.
Then I went in to Sinh, who I'd killed on NG+ with considerable difficulty... and he 1-shot me.  I have like 2,500 hp!  I went back in, a bit more careful this time, and holy crap his defenses are INSANE.  It's going to be one tedious fight at NG+infinity.  I'm half-expecting that at infinity when I get him down to half health he'll summon Elana, who will in turn summon Velstadt, who will then summon Smough, who will barf up 6 Belfry Gargoyles.
I wonder if Fromsoft even tested the boss fights at infinity.  Did someone sit there in the office fighting the boss for like 25 minutes thinking, "Yeah, this is about right."

Offline Blasarius Yonder

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #107 on: July 31, 2014, 01:23:29 PM »
I was getting really fed up with Sinh at NG+infinity, so I re-spec'd to a sorcerer with 99 Attunement and 99 Intelligence, upgraded a Staff of Wisdom, equipped 7 Crystal Soul Spears (28 casts) and 6 Soul Spears (24 casts), summoned both NPC phantoms, and just spammed spells.

It was no fun, and it still took 13 minutes, but it's done.  The CSSs only did 224 damage.  I had to replenish spells twice.  It ended up taking 84 CSSs and about 60 SSs.  Plus whatever damage the NPCs did.  Sheesh.

Online Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1546
« Reply #108 on: August 16, 2014, 12:24:02 PM »
Uhhg.  Can't beat the first boss in the Dark Souls II DLC.  I've been close twice when she didn't summon the big gold guy, but that's very rare.  And there must not be many people playing because I rarely get the chance to summon a human player.  Not sure I'll be able to get past her.

Offline Blasarius Yonder

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #109 on: August 18, 2014, 04:26:54 PM »
Uhhg.  Can't beat the first boss in the Dark Souls II DLC.  I've been close twice when she didn't summon the big gold guy, but that's very rare.  And there must not be many people playing because I rarely get the chance to summon a human player.  Not sure I'll be able to get past her.
There are a huge number of people playing, especially since the DLC released.  Many of them are doing co-op at the new bosses too, since all the DLC bosses are balanced for co-op. 

If I see no player signs when I get to Elana's fog gate I'll either quit and reload, or I'll put my own sign down to help others.  Often when I return to my world I'll hear the 'swoosh' server sound and player signs will show up.  If you aren't confident enough to help others yet you might try putting your sign down in an out-of-the-way area for a minute or two, then just picking it back up.  That may help after a few tries.

(Summoning Benhart is hilarious though.  Sometimes he will sprint up to the boss and simply stand there doing nothing but taking hit after hit after hit.  Funny but not exactly helpful.)

*EDIT* I don't want to give too much away, but hopefully you found a secret that shortens the run back to the boss considerably?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 04:33:04 PM by Blasarius Yonder »

Online Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1546
« Reply #110 on: August 18, 2014, 07:21:06 PM »
Managed to beat her, though human summons are still quite rare for me.  When I was playing the normal game I'd see them all the time, but rarely ever now.  Maybe something is wrong with how the game is connecting to the internet.  And I would put my sign down a lot and wait a goof 4 minutes, but no one would take it.

Pretty sure I can beat the next boss with enough time by using ranged attacks and summoning the two npcs.  Got it down about half way once. 

Offline JimJ

• Big Montana
« Reply #111 on: October 13, 2014, 12:25:27 AM »
I'm starting to get really into Dark Souls 1.  Never really had time to get REALLY into that game, seeing as how I finished my first playthrough like a week before Dark Souls 2 came out. Finished a SL1 run this weekend and I'm now playing through with the hyper-aggressive enemies mod.  Thinking about trying the mod that gives you a random weapon every 7 seconds, that seems like a lot fun.

Offline Blasarius Yonder

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #112 on: October 24, 2014, 05:56:24 PM »
Was looking around the front page at BBC.COM and was surprised to see a, "Dark Souls II wins game of the year" headline.  The Golden Joystick award, evidently they had 9 million gamers in the voting this year.  Pretty impressive.
Here's a list of winners:
The winners of the Golden Joystick Awards 2014 are:

Lifetime achievement: Hideo Kojima

Game of the year: Dark Souls II

Best original game: DayZ

Best online game: Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft

Best storytelling: The Last of Us: Left Behind

Best visual design: Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag

Best audio: Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag

Most played game of the year: Rust

Best multiplayer: Battlefield 4

Best indie game: DayZ

Innovation of the year: Oculus Rift DK2

Best gaming moment: The Last of Us: Left Behind - "The kiss"

Best handheld game: Pokemon X & Y

Best mobile game: Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft

Most wanted: The Witcher III: Wild Hunt

Gaming personality of the year: PewDiePie

Studio of the year: Ubisoft Montreal

Gaming platform of the year: Steam

I was amazed to see that whoever this pewdiepie guy is, he has 31.5 million subscribers to his YT(?) channel.  Good lord.

Offline JimJ

• Big Montana
« Reply #113 on: October 25, 2014, 12:42:05 PM »
Dark Souls 2 is still my game of the year, though that's not saying much because this year has been really weak IMO.

I'm surprised you'd never heard of Pewdiepie before. I personally can't stand his style of content but I've heard he's a really nice dude who does a lot for charity and such, so I've got nothing personal against him.