Author Topic: Dark Souls (and Dark Souls 2)  (Read 16756 times)

Online Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1545
Re: Dark Souls (and Dark Souls 2)
« Reply #90 on: April 30, 2014, 01:20:27 PM »
I played the new one for about an hour and was really disappointed by the controls and graphics. I kept hearing people say it was a completely new engine but it pretty much looks exactly like the first one with DSfix applied. The art design is still incredible and people love Dark Souls, so if it aint broke don't fix it I guess.

Do you play with a gamepad or keyboard?  I agree about the graphics though.  Pretty much the same as the last game.

360 pad, it us basically un-playable with kb&m

I like the 360 controls. 

Offline d00hickey

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 478
  • Rohan Stan the Jelly Man
« Reply #91 on: April 30, 2014, 04:50:46 PM »
Having jump and sprint bound to the same button will take some getting used to.

Online Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #92 on: April 30, 2014, 05:41:26 PM »

It is?  I jump by holding sprint then pressing the left joystick in. 

Offline d00hickey

« Reply #93 on: April 30, 2014, 07:04:55 PM »

It is?  I jump by holding sprint then pressing the left joystick in.

My bad, I meant roll not jump, hold B to run and tap B to roll.

Offline Blasarius Yonder

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 10
« Reply #94 on: May 01, 2014, 11:01:32 AM »
You can change the jump command under 'Options.'  It can be either the left joystick or the double-tap B option, like the previous game.

Offline JimJ

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 103
« Reply #95 on: May 02, 2014, 06:29:22 AM »
PC servers appear to be down :(

Offline Blasarius Yonder

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #96 on: May 03, 2014, 01:49:34 PM »
I just finished a no-bonfire run last round and got a ring as a reward, and I decided to try a no-death run in my next playthrough, which is NG+8.  (I failed my previous attempt at a no-death run about halfway through the game.)
I didn't even make it halfway through my 2nd level before I got squashed this time.  This game is so much harder than the previous two.

Offline d00hickey

« Reply #97 on: May 03, 2014, 06:40:30 PM »
Man, I keep trying to get into Dark Souls but it just doesn't catch me the way it catches others. I like a good challenge in a game but I don't like pattern learning challenge, also I'm not a fan of collecting items being so integral to a game. I like to play games for atmosphere and immersion, but there are always exceptions. I'll keep playing it for a while and see if it catches me.   

Online Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #98 on: May 04, 2014, 11:44:58 AM »
I'm a little stuck.  I could google this, but I'd prefer a gentle prod in the right direction instead of outright spoilers.

So I'm in what seems to be the final castle.  Talked to the ghost, went down stairs and found the fire.  There's a door that I need a kings ring for, which I don't have, and then a room with two giants that don't do anything.  Upstairs there's two empty thrones, and two green doors that don't open.

Not quite sure where to go.  Been hunting around for the king's ring, but no luck.  Is what I need inside the castle?  Or is it elsewhere?  Or am I just missing a ladder or something?

Offline JimJ

• Big Montana
« Reply #99 on: May 04, 2014, 05:21:35 PM »
I'm a little stuck.  I could google this, but I'd prefer a gentle prod in the right direction instead of outright spoilers.

So I'm in what seems to be the final castle.  Talked to the ghost, went down stairs and found the fire.  There's a door that I need a kings ring for, which I don't have, and then a room with two giants that don't do anything.  Upstairs there's two empty thrones, and two green doors that don't open.

Not quite sure where to go.  Been hunting around for the king's ring, but no luck.  Is what I need inside the castle?  Or is it elsewhere?  Or am I just missing a ladder or something?

You have everything you need to progress and you want to be in the room with the two giants.  Since you said you don't want outright spoilers, I won't say anything else.

Online Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #100 on: May 04, 2014, 06:23:36 PM »

You have everything you need to progress and you want to be in the room with the two giants.  Since you said you don't want outright spoilers, I won't say anything else.

I figured it out before I read this, but that was a good hint, thanks. 

Offline JimJ

• Big Montana
« Reply #101 on: July 22, 2014, 07:11:39 PM »
Anyone else playing the DLC?  I haven't played much but I'm really enjoying it.  The level design feels very Dark Souls 1 like, which is a great thing.  It is pretty damn difficult though.  Probably doesn't help that I'm on New Game ++, but I really don't feel like starting a new character to play it.

Online Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #102 on: July 23, 2014, 04:21:05 PM »
The hurdle I have is that I really don't like my character in new game+.  He needs a lot of work to be useful. 

Offline Blasarius Yonder

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #103 on: July 24, 2014, 09:46:39 AM »
Anyone else playing the DLC?  I haven't played much but I'm really enjoying it.  The level design feels very Dark Souls 1 like, which is a great thing.  It is pretty damn difficult though.  Probably doesn't help that I'm on New Game ++, but I really don't feel like starting a new character to play it.
I feel your pain... and then some.  I went in with my main character on NG+13.  I was loving it until I hit the first boss.  Up until then I was in heaven because of the level design.  Bonfires 2 and 3 were both such HUGE reliefs to find, and I'd been missing that feeling.  Then when that shortcut wound back to the starting bonfire it was almost as good as taking the elevator down from Undead Parish for the first time and seeing the words: Firelink Shrine come up on the screen.  Brilliant level design.

Then I found a boss.  A boss that requires co-op to beat at NG+infinity.  As much as I love co-op, if I have to summon to be able to beat a boss I don't feel like I beat it; there's no satisfaction winning that way. 
So I moved on till I found another boss.  I couldn't believe it when I found that it too requires phantoms to beat.  So far I've been unable to solo either boss despite dozens of attempts.  My appreciation for the DLC is wearing thin.

Offline JimJ

• Big Montana
« Reply #104 on: July 24, 2014, 02:59:57 PM »
Fuck
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
so fucking hard. I take back every nice word I ever said about that scumbag.