Author Topic: Dark Souls (and Dark Souls 2)  (Read 16255 times)

Offline Blasarius Yonder

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 10
Re: Dark Souls (and Dark Souls 2)
« Reply #75 on: April 24, 2014, 03:19:22 PM »
So I found out there are two rings you can get for beating Dark Souls II without dying and without resting at a bonfire.  I decided to try it on my main character, on NG++++++.  Not the best idea I ever had.  Several enemies can 1-shot me.  2 of them have, so far.
I'll at least complete the "no bonfire" part this playthrough, then try again next playthrough to avoid dying.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1473
« Reply #76 on: April 24, 2014, 03:36:09 PM »
So I found out there are two rings you can get for beating Dark Souls II without dying and without resting at a bonfire.  I decided to try it on my main character, on NG++++++.  Not the best idea I ever had.  Several enemies can 1-shot me.  2 of them have, so far.
I'll at least complete the "no bonfire" part this playthrough, then try again next playthrough to avoid dying.

I ran this through google translate's 'nerd to english' option, and it came back with this:

So I found out they give you a piece of bread if you climb Mount Everest nude from the waist up while holding your left hand behind your back.  I slipped and fell on my left hand, but I should at least get the bread crust for not wearing a shirt this time.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #77 on: April 25, 2014, 07:58:58 PM »
Finally out for the PC.  Beat the first boss.  Having quite a lot of fun.  Unlocked the blacksmith and upgraded a bunch of my gear.

Not sure how I feel about the game forcing you to restore your humanity after about 6 deaths by whittling away at your health bar.  I'm quite happy staying hollow.  But I guess they want to encourage you to invade and be invaded and all that jazz that I could do without. 

Offline Blasarius Yonder

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #78 on: April 26, 2014, 09:03:28 AM »
Finally out for the PC.  Beat the first boss.  Having quite a lot of fun.  Unlocked the blacksmith and upgraded a bunch of my gear.

Not sure how I feel about the game forcing you to restore your humanity after about 6 deaths by whittling away at your health bar.  I'm quite happy staying hollow.  But I guess they want to encourage you to invade and be invaded and all that jazz that I could do without.
It's really encouraging co-op.  Put down your White Sign Soapstone to help another player out, and if you're succesful you return to your world back in human form.  So like, if you're having trouble with a boss or something, and don't want to spend the effigies but need more health, just put your sign down outside the fog gate and someone will summon you to help them. Voila! you're human and have a bunch more souls to spend.

There's also a Ring of Binding that won't let your HP drop below the 80% (or maybe 75%) mark when hollow.  It's available early.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #79 on: April 26, 2014, 09:23:10 AM »

It's really encouraging co-op.  Put down your White Sign Soapstone to help another player out, and if you're succesful you return to your world back in human form.  So like, if you're having trouble with a boss or something, and don't want to spend the effigies but need more health, just put your sign down outside the fog gate and someone will summon you to help them. Voila! you're human and have a bunch more souls to spend.

There's also a Ring of Binding that won't let your HP drop below the 80% (or maybe 75%) mark when hollow.  It's available early.

Ahhh thanks.  Didn't know that.  I thought I had to use up an effigy.  Normally one would consider that a flaw that an integral mechanic like that isn't explained, but it's one of the game's charms. 

Offline JimJ

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 103
« Reply #80 on: April 26, 2014, 02:20:35 PM »
You can also put down your sign before you go through a boss fog so you can fight the boss and see it's patterns with no risk.

Anyway, the PC version is so good. Going from 720p 30 FPS (at best) and 20-30 second load times on PS3 to 1080p 60 FPS and 2-3 second load times on PC is amazing. Glad they got the port right this time. I'm almost done with my first PC playthrough and my first first ever playthrough as a cleric. The mace is ridiculous for a starting weapon. Still rocking it +10 with lightning infusion at Dragon Shrine. Does more than enough damage in conjunction with all my miracles. I usually just roll with a knight or warrior and do a strength build, but I think cleric may be my new default class, I've really enjoyed murdering everything with lightning spears.

Offline Blasarius Yonder

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #81 on: April 26, 2014, 04:49:25 PM »
Yeah, Lightning Spears are ridiculously strong in this game.  I'm watching a playthrough where the guy was just getting murdered left and right, understandably having a really hard time with the game.  He found Lightning Spear, re-spec'd, now he's just cruising through with like 30+Spears for ammo, almost untouchable.

I know Lightning Spears saved my butt when I fought Darklurker.  That's an insanely difficult fight without a strong ranged attack.

Offline JimJ

• Big Montana
« Reply #82 on: April 26, 2014, 06:49:58 PM »
I still have never fought that boss. I've also never beaten Vendrick or Ancient Dragon though I have half-heartedly attempted those in the past.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #83 on: April 26, 2014, 10:39:06 PM »
Fucking chariot. I don't feel bad at all about using 80 arrows to slowly kill you as you drove around in circles. 

Offline Blasarius Yonder

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #84 on: April 29, 2014, 08:33:07 AM »
Fucking chariot. I don't feel bad at all about using 80 arrows to slowly kill you as you drove around in circles.
I'm going to use that method from now on, even on NG, just so I don't have to watch that horse spin around like he's on a rotating dish during the last phase of the fight.  I wouldn't have thought Fromsoft capable of the degree of laziness they've shown when it comes to the tracking of certain enemies.  Like the Covetous Demon and the Fire Salamanders, they just spin in place.  If you change direction, they instantly change direction with no regard for momentum.  They should've added the robotic sound effect from the The Terminator, when Arnold moves his head around.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #85 on: April 29, 2014, 08:58:38 AM »
I'm going to use that method from now on, even on NG, just so I don't have to watch that horse spin around like he's on a rotating dish during the last phase of the fight.  I wouldn't have thought Fromsoft capable of the degree of laziness they've shown when it comes to the tracking of certain enemies.  Like the Covetous Demon and the Fire Salamanders, they just spin in place.  If you change direction, they instantly change direction with no regard for momentum.  They should've added the robotic sound effect from the The Terminator, when Arnold moves his head around.

Yeah that last phase was annoying and hard enough to get to, so I skipped it.

There have been a few challenges, like the chariot, but overall I'm having a much easier time with this game. I think it's perhaps because I'm using summons a lot for bosses. So far I've never been invaded so I'm not getting the down sides to being human.

Offline JimJ

• Big Montana
« Reply #86 on: April 29, 2014, 09:53:09 AM »
You can be invaded while hollow now. Invasions are just a rarity in NG, outside of the PVP covenant areas.

I got bored today and finally took a crack at the three bosses I'd still never beaten, Vendrick, Ancient Dragon and Darklurker. Vendrick is very easy if you have the giant souls and get his patterns down. Took down Darklurker in one try with lightning spears, though I came close to dying twice. Ancient Dragon was the worst. I did the strat of running in and beating the shit out of his toes and it seemed totally random when he would decide to do the insta-kill fire AOE. He did that attack once in my final attempt and I thankfully was able to avoid it.

Offline d00hickey

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 478
  • Rohan Stan the Jelly Man
« Reply #87 on: April 30, 2014, 09:39:50 AM »
I played the new one for about an hour and was really disappointed by the controls and graphics. I kept hearing people say it was a completely new engine but it pretty much looks exactly like the first one with DSfix applied. The art design is still incredible and people love Dark Souls, so if it aint broke don't fix it I guess.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #88 on: April 30, 2014, 11:20:21 AM »
I played the new one for about an hour and was really disappointed by the controls and graphics. I kept hearing people say it was a completely new engine but it pretty much looks exactly like the first one with DSfix applied. The art design is still incredible and people love Dark Souls, so if it aint broke don't fix it I guess.

Do you play with a gamepad or keyboard?  I agree about the graphics though.  Pretty much the same as the last game. 

Offline d00hickey

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 478
  • Rohan Stan the Jelly Man
« Reply #89 on: April 30, 2014, 12:40:07 PM »

Do you play with a gamepad or keyboard?  I agree about the graphics though.  Pretty much the same as the last game.

360 pad, it us basically un-playable with kb&m