Author Topic: Dark Souls (and Dark Souls 2)  (Read 16132 times)

Offline d00hickey

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 478
  • Rohan Stan the Jelly Man
Re: Dark Souls anyone?
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2013, 10:45:43 AM »
Do you have the Steam or GFWL version? I bet the mod is probably the same just need to research

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 1464
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2013, 11:30:24 AM »
Steam version here. 

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 695
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2013, 04:59:53 AM »
If you're talking about DSFix, definitely get it. But make sure you get the most recent version. Otherwise it won't work. In the DSFix config file, unlock the frame-rate. I also suggest disabling the startup logos, unless you really want to watch them over and over.

I got my copy from Steam as well, but it still accesses GFWL. I'm assuming that's unavoidable.

Offline Blasarius Yonder

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 10
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2013, 01:59:16 PM »
I play it on PC a little, unmodded.  I get some frame-rate issues in lower Blighttown but not too bad.  Then again I'm an easy audience because I'm used to it on the consoles.

Offline Blasarius Yonder

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2013, 10:22:41 AM »
I played 3 hours of Dark Souls 2 Saturday night during the beta.  I'll give no spoilers, but I will tell you that if you're worried about them dumbing down the series to reach a larger audience, you can put those worries to rest.  Brutal difficulty.

Offline d00hickey

« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2013, 03:21:19 PM »
Okay, I beat the tutorial boss and that was all fine, now I'm in the second area with ghosts that I can't damage. I had some sort of item that allowed me to damage them but I'm all out. Every time I get near them one grabs me and the other kills me. After my 7th or 8th attempt I was able to run past the first ghost only to enter a new area with more ghosts. What should I do? 

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2013, 04:17:45 PM »
Okay, I beat the tutorial boss and that was all fine, now I'm in the second area with ghosts that I can't damage. I had some sort of item that allowed me to damage them but I'm all out. Every time I get near them one grabs me and the other kills me. After my 7th or 8th attempt I was able to run past the first ghost only to enter a new area with more ghosts. What should I do?

You did the same thing as me.  That is not where you should go first.

Say you are standing at the first bonfire.  If you are looking at the stairs that lead down to where there are ghosts, turn 180 degrees and go the other way.  You should start heading up some stairs and there will be some undead that throw fire at you.  That's where you should go first.

Another tip that I didn't find out till late in the game: kindling a bonfire with humanity will give you extra estus flasks when you rest at that bonfire.  Very helpful.

Offline Blasarius Yonder

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2013, 11:46:57 AM »
Another tip that I didn't find out till late in the game: kindling a bonfire with humanity will give you extra estus flasks when you rest at that bonfire.  Very helpful.
But wait, there's more!  To kindle the bonfire so you get 10 Estus instead of 5 you will have to first use a humanity to turn human, then use a second one to kindle the fire.  When you turn human you open yourself up to being invaded by other players UNLESS you've already killed the area boss.
So d00hickey, the Firelink Shrine bonfire is automatically kindled to 10 (because it has a Firekeeper present), but the next one you find won't be.  If you go human there you will be invaded by a player with end-game gear, guaranteed, so I advise against kindling that one till after you've killed the boss.

Offline d00hickey

« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2013, 03:11:06 PM »
I spent 3 hours trying to kill all the Skeletons in that first grave yard and came to the conclusion I'm truly playing this game wrong. It's extremely compelling and it doesn't play like any other game I know of. I was focusing way too much on combat and I wasn't really reading all the item details or even keeping good track of my items and exploiting them properly. I plan to draw out a new character and try a new approach.

It's funny because I get extremely frustrated while I'm playing it but I can't stop thinking about it when I'm not.     

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2013, 04:29:17 PM »
I spent 3 hours trying to kill all the Skeletons in that first grave yard and came to the conclusion I'm truly playing this game wrong. It's extremely compelling and it doesn't play like any other game I know of. I was focusing way too much on combat and I wasn't really reading all the item details or even keeping good track of my items and exploiting them properly. I plan to draw out a new character and try a new approach.

It's funny because I get extremely frustrated while I'm playing it but I can't stop thinking about it when I'm not.   

I banged my head against those skeletons in the graveyard for about 3 hours as well.  And then I finally realized that that wasn't the first place I was supposed to go, and they were way too high level for me.  The game is hard, definitely, but it's not supposed to be THAT hard. 

From the first bonfire after the crow drops you off, face towards the cliff and the water.  The opposite directions from the ruins and the guy who's sitting there.  Then follow the edge of that cliff to the left and it will take you to some stairs that go up where some zombies will throw fire at you.  Then you'll go up inside this bridge with a big rat inside.  Then you'll know you're on the right path.

Since the enemies don't scale to your level, a big part of Dark Souls is figuring out where exactly to go next.  You could beat your head against those skeletons and eventually level up enough where you could perhaps make it down a ways.  But nothing useful lies down that path until much later in the game.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 04:30:57 PM by Variety of Cells »

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 695
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2013, 06:08:57 PM »
I read somewhere that the Catacombs (including the graveyard) was originally supposed to be a starter dungeon. Which explains why Pinwheel is so weak. Now, either this person is full of shit, or the designers changed their minds halfway through.. I'm leaning towards the latter.

Yeah, they're a huge pain in the ass, but there are several powerful weapons, both in the graveyard and in the catacombs, worth running in and retreating for. However, barring that, you should go to the far right of that guy sitting at Firelink and take the stairs up to the Upper Undead Burg.

Speaking of retreating, how the hell do I get back out of Blighttown after killing
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I'm almost out of mosses! And I sure as hell can't get out the way I came.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2013, 07:22:32 PM »
I read somewhere that the Catacombs (including the graveyard) was originally supposed to be a starter dungeon. Which explains why Pinwheel is so weak. Now, either this person is full of shit, or the designers changed their minds halfway through.. I'm leaning towards the latter.

Yeah, they're a huge pain in the ass, but there are several powerful weapons, both in the graveyard and in the catacombs, worth running in and retreating for. However, barring that, you should go to the far right of that guy sitting at Firelink and take the stairs up to the Upper Undead Burg.

Speaking of retreating, how the hell do I get back out of Blighttown after killing
I'm almost out of mosses! And I sure as hell can't get out the way I came.

One thing I didn't realize...

Offline d00hickey

« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2013, 08:07:37 PM »
I appreciate you guys inserting spoilers.

Offline d00hickey

« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2013, 08:08:46 PM »
I appreciate you guys inserting spoiler blockers.

Offline Blasarius Yonder

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2013, 10:51:31 AM »
That should replace "Prepare to die," as the Souls motto.  It's amazing how this game hooks you.