Author Topic: Dark Souls (and Dark Souls 2)  (Read 16800 times)

Online CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 746
  • 5000 deaths and counting
Re: Dark Souls anyone?
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2013, 03:15:55 PM »
Actually made it to Quelaag's Domain today. Unfortunately, if there was a bonfire between Firelink and there (and there must have been), I didn't see it. Naturally, I died, and I'm too pissed off to try that again today.
Ouch.  There is.  You went down from Firelink using the Master Key then, right?  The good news is that it can be a very fast run back down to the swamp.  You can just run past those giant guys with the clubs, after that just keep going down.  I'll try to avoid spoiling anything but the bonfire is very close to where you land after your descent.
As horrible as the area is, there's a ton of good loot and drops around, so once you've rested at the bonfire it's worth exploring.

To really appreciate how good you have it you should go to the Depths and enter Blighttown that way.  That's what people without the Master Key have to do, and oh my God it's the most horrible experience in the world.  It'll make the descent from Firelink seem so gentle and peaceful in comparison.

I did that too. After expending so much effort to get the Depths Key, I figured it had to be important. Well, after beating the Gaping Vagina Dragon, and getting the key to Blight town, I figured, this must be the intended way down. Nope... I got totally stuck trying to find a way down going that route, and went back to the entrance from Valley of the Drakes. I feel bad for anyone who didn't start with the Master Key.

Offline Blasarius Yonder

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 10
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2013, 10:13:25 AM »
I started with the Master Key but had no idea about the shortcut, and man, Upper Blighttown was sooooo horrible.  Looking back (from a safe distance) though, it's one of my fondest gaming memories.  A little less than halfway through the level there is a bonfire, and I can't tell you the relief I felt when I saw it.  Crazy that a game can cause such intense panic and relief, but that's Dark Souls, I guess.
It probably took me two hours to find that bonfire the first time through, and the other day I sprinted to it in about 20 seconds.  Since then I've started sucking my thumb.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1547
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2013, 05:36:24 PM »
Soooo just figured out what kindling does... pretty useful that... would have been nice to know some 30 hours ago.  Oh well.  Figuring things out is tough.  On one hand the game wants you to figure out how to play for yourself through trial and error.  But on the other hand, you can permanently fuck things up either by killing npcs or wasting items. 

Found the other entrance to Blightown after the vagina monster.  Seems even harder than the drake entrance.  Stupid blight town.  At least I found a merchant that sells the good moss, and those ghost hands that let you fight ghosts.  Should be useful.  Maybe I'll try to make it though the ghost area a bit farther next to try and get the fire keeper back from whoever killed her.  I have a fire soul burning a hole in my pocket and I want to boost my flasks to +2.

Either of you kill that red dragon guarding the bridge?  I feel like maybe... if I got lucky... after many many attempts, I could beat it.  Is it worth it?

EDIT:  Also just figured out that there's a way to aim a bow at something you aren't locked onto that isn't incredibly clumsy and broken.  Would have also been nice to know that.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 05:38:02 PM by Variety of Cells »

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2013, 08:10:07 PM »
Making a bunch of progress now that I understand how the game thinks.  Just received my new quest from the goddess of having big tits the sun.  There's quite a lot of game in this game, which is nice.  I also really like the character designs and the level art.  Some of the places look quite pretty, and they all have their own feel. 44 hours in now.  The wife has a writing class all day tomorrow, so I expect to get pretty close to the end.  Or I should at least have two of the 4 final souls, probably 3.

Black knight sword is now maxed out at +5.  Oh, and I beat the guys who killed the fire keeper at the firelink shrine, but she's still dead.  Is there a way to get her back or does she just remain dead?

And lastly, being human is not worth it.  Sure you can summon people, but having strangers come into your game and kill you is pretty annoying.  They always do it in the most annoying way possible, usually by walking backwards at me, having half their body clip through me, and then attacking which apparently counts as a critical.  Really annoying.

Offline Blasarius Yonder

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2013, 11:01:28 AM »
The backstabs in Dark Souls are notorious, and 99 out of a hundred invaders are all too happy to exploit the lag.  I don't know if there's any truth to it, but I heard that in DS2 they're making it so you can be invaded whether you're hollow or human.  It'll be interesting to see how it goes, but I'm guessing the majority will either play offline or not at all.

When you go to the Firelink Shrine Firekeeper's cage you will be prompted to return her soul to her UNLESS you already used it to up your Estus Flask with a different Firekeeper, in which case that bonfire will remain extinguished for the current playthrough.

Sounds like you're moving right along.  Are you planning on doing NG+?

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2013, 11:21:20 AM »
Hmmmm not sure. If I go for NG+ right away I know I won't finish it. But I might want to check it out. I'd probably want to be a caster, so I'll most likely quit in frustration.

Surprisingly this is the first time in the game where I'm not quite sure where to go next. I have three of the four souls, and I'm not quite sure where the fourth is. I think it's in the valley of the giants (the dark place.) because it's the only place that has seemed like a dead end. But I haven't been able to find a new path yet.  I'll figure it out.

Oh, and I beat the dragon guarding that bridge!  Pretty proud of that. It only have me 10,000 souls so it was a waste of time, but I enjoyed the sense of accomplishment.

Offline Blasarius Yonder

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2013, 11:56:07 AM »
Beating the red dragon on the bridge is quite the accomplishment.  Took me multiple playthroughs before I even tried.

NG+ just continues with your current character, there's no option to reset stats, so you may want to start a new character as a sorcerer rather than start building up your intelligence on your current one.  Maybe not though.  On my main character I eventually built up everything.  Difficulty jumps up pretty high in NG+, so it's a lot of fun.  Your Black Knight sword will still make short work of early mobs, but bosses will be noticeably tougher, and by the time you get to Anor Londo it should be pretty challenging.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2013, 12:42:20 PM »
Ahhh gotcha. Maybe I'll continue with my big tank then. He's sporting Havel's armor, the stone shield and the black knight's great axe at the moment. The sword was nice but I like the reach of the great axe. Plus the strong attack is basically the same as a jumping attack so I don't have to worry about not executing a jump correctly.

Online CJones

« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2013, 03:19:22 PM »
Congrats Variety of Cells. I PM'ed you on Steam, but I'll say it again here, you did in ~50 hours what I haven't been able to do in over 60 hours. Yeah, I couldn't believe I'd spent that much time on the game either. And yes, I'm still stuck on Quelaag.

But here's the best part. I've seen some insane speed runs of this game. Runs that don't involve cheating or exploiting glitches. These people could have beaten the game 50 times in the time I've spent to get halfway. Check this out:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Quu8TDRb6OU" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Quu8TDRb6OU</a>

Offline Blasarius Yonder

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2013, 09:46:43 AM »
It's incredible how fast true speedrunners manipulate the menu.  Dark Souls is the rare game many, MANY people measure their hours in by the thousands though, and at that point it actually isn't that difficult a game to speedrun since you can run past almost all non-bosses in the game.  1 hour is still insane, but the average Souls addict can probably do 2 hours on their first try no sweat.  I'll put my money where my mouth is and test it, as a true speedrun is something I've never done.

I wish I could remember the name of the game, but I saw a speedrun of a 2D puzzle platformer that completely blew my mind.  I'll try to find and post it.  Some of the time I couldn't even follow what the player was doing things were moving so fast.

*EDIT*  The game is called The Swapper.  Beautiful game, though you wouldn't know it by the WR speedrun since it's so insanely fast.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 06:34:37 AM by Blasarius Yonder »

Online CJones

« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2013, 01:28:45 PM »
After a long hiatus, I've started playing Dark Souls again. I finally beat Quelaag. Actually made it to her, from Firelink, and beat her on the first try. I did find the bonfire I missed previously. But why did I find it so hard before? Sometimes I feel that this game is more intimidating than actually hard. I never did figure out how to get to the bottom of Blight Town entering from the Depths. But from the Valley of Drakes it's incredibly easy.

Found what I assume is Quelaag's sister. She refused to speak to me, but I joined her Covenant anyway because, why not. I have yet to figure out what any of the Covenants actually do.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2013, 08:18:12 PM »
After a long hiatus, I've started playing Dark Souls again. I finally beat Quelaag. Actually made it to her, from Firelink, and beat her on the first try. I did find the bonfire I missed previously. But why did I find it so hard before? Sometimes I feel that this game is more intimidating than actually hard. I never did figure out how to get to the bottom of Blight Town entering from the Depths. But from the Valley of Drakes it's incredibly easy.

Found what I assume is Quelaag's sister. She refused to speak to me, but I joined her Covenant anyway because, why not. I have yet to figure out what any of the Covenants actually do.

I never found out what they did either. 

Offline Blasarius Yonder

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2013, 11:49:30 AM »
The Chaos Covenant doesn't do to much of anything, really, other than give you that bitchin' Chaos Fireball spell and open up a shortcut later.  It costs 30 humanity to open the shortcut though, so not many people use it.

Sunlight Covenant increases your chances of getting summoned as a friendly phantom by another player (supposedly), and the Way of the White Covenant keeps you from getting invaded as often (also supposedly). 

Most of the other covs are PvP-based, so if you want to invade other players I guess they're pretty cool.  It's definitely worth joining the Gravelord Covenant though, as it gives you a pretty badass sword.

Offline d00hickey

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 478
  • Rohan Stan the Jelly Man
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2013, 11:46:02 PM »
I should play this again sometime, I bought it and gave up like a little bitch really soon after the tutorial. I wan't to put the mod on it to make it look better on PC, have any of you done that? it's a really poorly done port and it looks awful on PC. I also avoid GFWL like the plague, so there's that too.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2013, 05:03:06 AM »
I should play this again sometime, I bought it and gave up like a little bitch really soon after the tutorial. I wan't to put the mod on it to make it look better on PC, have any of you done that? it's a really poorly done port and it looks awful on PC. I also avoid GFWL like the plague, so there's that too.

The mod works great. My impression was that the game looked pretty good on PC, but I always had the mod on.