login

Author Topic: Dark Souls (and Dark Souls 2)  (Read 15934 times)

Offline Blasarius Yonder

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 10
Dark Souls (and Dark Souls 2)
« on: September 24, 2013, 12:19:09 PM »
You can pick it up for less than $20 now.  The PC version is less than $10 sometimes.  If you're on the fence, go for it. 
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 09:22:56 AM by Blasarius Yonder »

Offline CJones

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 646
  • 5000 deaths and counting
Re: Dark Souls anyone?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 12:06:58 AM »
This is a brilliantly designed game. But Blight Town was my breaking point. I've already put about 55 hours into this game, and I haven't even rung the second bell yet.

I have a love/hate relationship with this game. But now that VarietyofCells is playing it, I hope to at least stay ahead of him. Time to load up my pathetic save :-[

Offline Lembach

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 8272
  • Hormel Batch Master
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 03:40:23 AM »

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 1414
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 05:04:33 AM »
Making a bunch of progress after my initial frustration. I rang the first bell, beat the hydra, and I guess now I'm looking for a divine smith in the forest to make me a weapon that can Beat the skeletons in catacombs, and hopefully the ghosts down below, because a smith mentioned something about that.

Which is my main problem with the game, the lack of anticipation. For the most part I'm just wandering around killing stuff because dead stuff makes me stronger. But I have no idea where I should be going or why. You definitely have a feeling of accomplishment after beating a tough opponent (which most everything is), but that feeling would be enhanced if you knew the stakes behind beating them. For example, I had no idea where the first bell was until I was physically ringing it. Some anticipation of being close to a goal would be nice.

But this is the most direction I've had all game, finding a smith in the forest. Now I just need to figure out if he's beyond these huge fast cats or somewhere else. Hopefully not with these drakes.

Offline CJones

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 09:37:55 AM »
There is a Divine Ember at the top of one of the towers, right around where the Moonlight Butterfly was. Andre does mention that their used to be a blacksmith that specialized in Divine Equipment in that area. Take the Ember to Andre, and he'll be able make Divine weapons,

-OR-

Just go to the Valley of Drakes, and grab Astoras Strait Sword, out of the mouth of the "obviously" dead dragon. Then haul ass back to the entrance.

Offline CJones

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2013, 09:43:22 AM »
Also, is Dark Souls on PC broken for anybody else? I can't get it to start. I went on the Steam forum for DS, and they were saying Fromsoft had somehow broken the game with the most recent patch.

Offline Blasarius Yonder

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2013, 10:56:52 AM »
Making a bunch of progress after my initial frustration. I rang the first bell, beat the hydra, and I guess now I'm looking for a divine smith in the forest to make me a weapon that can Beat the skeletons in catacombs, and hopefully the ghosts down below, because a smith mentioned something about that.

Which is my main problem with the game, the lack of anticipation. For the most part I'm just wandering around killing stuff because dead stuff makes me stronger. But I have no idea where I should be going or why. You definitely have a feeling of accomplishment after beating a tough opponent (which most everything is), but that feeling would be enhanced if you knew the stakes behind beating them. For example, I had no idea where the first bell was until I was physically ringing it. Some anticipation of being close to a goal would be nice.

But this is the most direction I've had all game, finding a smith in the forest. Now I just need to figure out if he's beyond these huge fast cats or somewhere else. Hopefully not with these drakes.
First playthrough blind?  Admiration.  What level are you, and how are your stats shaping up?  Have you raised strength, dex, faith, etc...?
I remember the agony of my first playthrough.  I couldn't even figure out the Asylum Demon at the tutorial because I never noticed the doorway!  Then after 60+ hours I gave up and started over when I accidentally had a blacksmith downgrade my best weapon (I didn't realize how easy it would've been to just have him re-up it).

Offline Blasarius Yonder

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2013, 10:59:13 AM »
Also, is Dark Souls on PC broken for anybody else? I can't get it to start. I went on the Steam forum for DS, and they were saying Fromsoft had somehow broken the game with the most recent patch.
I normally play on Xbox, but I have it on PC too.  I'll check when I get home if it works for me.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2013, 09:52:56 PM »

First playthrough blind?  Admiration.  What level are you, and how are your stats shaping up?  Have you raised strength, dex, faith, etc...?
I remember the agony of my first playthrough.  I couldn't even figure out the Asylum Demon at the tutorial because I never noticed the doorway!  Then after 60+ hours I gave up and started over when I accidentally had a blacksmith downgrade my best weapon (I didn't realize how easy it would've been to just have him re-up it).

I think I'm level 45. Something like 25 strength, 20 endurance. 19 dex, 12 intelligence, 8 faith. Is that going to screw me later?  Is there some I NEED faith for later?  Cause so far I'm doing pretty good muscling through everything with my +3 dark knight sword that's at like 245 physical and my stone armor.

Figured out the whole catacomb deal with why the skeletons weren't dying. So now I'm working through that because Blight Town was a little too hard for me for now. Doesn't have much to counter the poison. I did kill the big poison drake outside Blight Town though.

And yeah, I got stuck at first similar to how you did. Kept trying to go the catacombs route first off cause I didn't see the path upward. I also killed the guy at the first fire place cause he pretty much told me that killing him would give me humanity, which I thought was more important than it is. Of course I got my clock cleaned at level 3, but he would keep attack when I spawned so I just kept at it till i countered him enough times.

Is that bad?  Should I have not killed him and the large guy waiting for the gate to open?

Offline CJones

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2013, 08:51:45 PM »
I normally play on Xbox, but I have it on PC too.  I'll check when I get home if it works for me.

Don't bother, I figured it out. Fromsoft did indeed update the game with another patch, one that was incompatible with DSFix (which you absolutely need to make the PC version playable). But the makers of DSFix are on the ball, and DSFix21 has been released. Replacing the old version with this one fixes the game, so now it works again.

I'm at level 52, have put in about 60 hours, and I'm currently stuck on Blighttown. I made it all the way to the bottom once, but died somewhere in that poison marsh. I tried to make a mad dash for the next area, but didn't make it.

And no shouldn't have killed that guy at Firelink. He's basically the closest thing you have to a guide. He'll often tell you useful (or at least interesting) information about places or characters you come across. As a general rule you shouldn't kill NPCs unless you know you won't need them for anything later. Though they often do drop useful stuff. The shopkeeper in the Upper Undead Burg drops the Uchigatana, a very powerful Dex weapon, particularly in the early game.

Offline CJones

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2013, 03:42:23 PM »
Actually made it to Quelaag's Domain today. Unfortunately, if there was a bonfire between Firelink and there (and there must have been), I didn't see it. Naturally, I died, and I'm too pissed off to try that again today.

Offline Blasarius Yonder

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2013, 11:42:06 AM »
Actually made it to Quelaag's Domain today. Unfortunately, if there was a bonfire between Firelink and there (and there must have been), I didn't see it. Naturally, I died, and I'm too pissed off to try that again today.
Ouch.  There is.  You went down from Firelink using the Master Key then, right?  The good news is that it can be a very fast run back down to the swamp.  You can just run past those giant guys with the clubs, after that just keep going down.  I'll try to avoid spoiling anything but the bonfire is very close to where you land after your descent.
As horrible as the area is, there's a ton of good loot and drops around, so once you've rested at the bonfire it's worth exploring.

To really appreciate how good you have it you should go to the Depths and enter Blighttown that way.  That's what people without the Master Key have to do, and oh my God it's the most horrible experience in the world.  It'll make the descent from Firelink seem so gentle and peaceful in comparison.

Offline Blasarius Yonder

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2013, 12:08:17 PM »
I think I'm level 45. Something like 25 strength, 20 endurance. 19 dex, 12 intelligence, 8 faith. Is that going to screw me later?  Is there some I NEED faith for later?  Cause so far I'm doing pretty good muscling through everything with my +3 dark knight sword that's at like 245 physical and my stone armor.

Figured out the whole catacomb deal with why the skeletons weren't dying. So now I'm working through that because Blight Town was a little too hard for me for now. Doesn't have much to counter the poison. I did kill the big poison drake outside Blight Town though.

And yeah, I got stuck at first similar to how you did. Kept trying to go the catacombs route first off cause I didn't see the path upward. I also killed the guy at the first fire place cause he pretty much told me that killing him would give me humanity, which I thought was more important than it is. Of course I got my clock cleaned at level 3, but he would keep attack when I spawned so I just kept at it till i countered him enough times.

Is that bad?  Should I have not killed him and the large guy waiting for the gate to open?
You killed the Onion Bro?  The fatty outsided the locked gate?  That's cold, man.  He's such a jolly guy.  He would've reappeared many times throughout the game, and if you somehow managed to do his questline just right it would've caused another NPC to spawn; between the two of them you can get a ton of gifts, including one that allows you to upgrade a weapon or armor to its ultimate level (you'll still have access to at least 2 of those this playthrough.)  Most of the rest of what you get you probably wouldn't use anyway.
Sounds like the guy you killed at Firelink was the depressed guy by the fire, which is no biggie. If it was Petrus you killed there are some consequences.

You've already figured out The Catacombs, so you don't need Faith for anything, really.  If you ever get into co-op (which I HIGHLY recommend!) it isn't a bad idea to give yourself 12 Faith so you can heal yourself.
That Black Knight Sword was a great drop to get.  Very fortunate.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2013, 05:03:09 PM »
Figured maybe if I killed the onion guy the gate would open... but nope.  Think I'm done killing NPCs.  Didn't realize there were such consequences. 

Offline Blasarius Yonder

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2013, 10:52:07 AM »
There can be.  Since you're playing blind the chances are pretty slim that you'd have gotten the upgrade item (Titanite Slab) I mentioned anyway, so it's not such a huge deal, and there's always NG+.
Thing is, there may be an NPC that deserves killin'.  And it may be soon.  Or you may already have met that NPC, I don't know.  I just suggest listening to them all and going with your gut.