Author Topic: Dark Souls (and Dark Souls 2)  (Read 16103 times)

Online CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 693
  • 5000 deaths and counting
Re: Dark Souls anyone?
« Reply #60 on: March 24, 2014, 12:50:35 PM »
Yeah, same here. I guess I'll have wait til April 25  :(

Offline Blasarius Yonder

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 10
« Reply #61 on: March 25, 2014, 04:23:29 PM »
Am I the only one here whose life is being consumed by Dark Souls 2? 
I got it at 12:13am, March 11th, and checking my counter I've played it just short of 240 hours.  So... no, you're not the only one.  I scheduled my entire year's vacation for its release, and amazingly have no regrets, other than being awfully tired.

Offline JimJ

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 103
« Reply #62 on: March 26, 2014, 11:55:49 PM »
Funniest Dark Souls 2 moment I've seen.  Guy doesn't understand what the red summon sign is for and hilarity ensues.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/MQyhmiYZBZc" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/MQyhmiYZBZc</a>

Offline Blasarius Yonder

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #63 on: March 27, 2014, 09:44:21 AM »
I can't see that video while I'm at work but I've seen some things that sound similar.  A guy playing through The Pit got summoned by a Rat Covenant dude.  He assumed he was there to help the guy and couldn't understand why the rats kept attacking him.  Then Rat Dude himself showed up and started attacking.  He's like, "Dude, I'm here to help you!"  He didn't last long.

Offline d00hickey

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 478
  • Rohan Stan the Jelly Man
« Reply #64 on: March 27, 2014, 08:13:59 PM »
Funniest Dark Souls 2 moment I've seen.  Guy doesn't understand what the red summon sign is for and hilarity ensues.

That's kind of the experience of Dark Souls. Complete confusion, hilarity ensues.

Offline Blasarius Yonder

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #65 on: April 03, 2014, 09:22:06 AM »
Dark Souls 2 is really hard.  My main character is NG++++ now, and I'm getting my ass handed to me by some previously 'easy' bosses. 

The Scorpioness was so easy before, but suddenly I can't get away from her magic and she destroyed me 5 times in a row.  Had to completely change the way I fight her to get through it.

Lost Sinner has become so hard I simply can't solo it.  Takes 15 minutes to get her down to about 1/3 health, then I get destroyed by one of the pyro guys and have to start all over.  That's gets old after a couple hours.

Offline JimJ

• Big Montana
Re: Dark Souls (and Dark Souls 2)
« Reply #66 on: April 03, 2014, 06:07:56 PM »
Dark Souls 2 is really hard.  My main character is NG++++ now, and I'm getting my ass handed to me by some previously 'easy' bosses. 

The Scorpioness was so easy before, but suddenly I can't get away from her magic and she destroyed me 5 times in a row.  Had to completely change the way I fight her to get through it.

Lost Sinner has become so hard I simply can't solo it.  Takes 15 minutes to get her down to about 1/3 health, then I get destroyed by one of the pyro guys and have to start all over.  That's gets old after a couple hours.

I don't think I'm man enough to go past NG+. I'm just taking my first charcter through that and am having an OK time with it, but I wouldn't want to go much harder.

I'm starting to get more into PVP and co-op than I did in Dark Souls. I go back and forth between the Sunbros and the Blood Bros. When I need some chunks I scum it up with the Bell Bros. It seems odd that you can just switch covenants at will with no consequences. I guess it was like that in the first game too but I never messed with covenants much in that.

Offline Blasarius Yonder

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #67 on: April 04, 2014, 06:17:51 AM »
If you're using the cat in Majula to abandon your covenant it should be free of consequence, but if you're just changing from one to the other you should be accumulating sin.
Sin seems pretty broken though.
In NG I killed all the NPCs before going to NG+, and instead of having my sin cleared when I started NG+, it carried over and is still with me in ++++.  The pardoner who absolves sin doesn't recognize it though, he won't cleanse me of sin because he says I have none.

Offline JimJ

• Big Montana
« Reply #68 on: April 06, 2014, 08:35:48 AM »
I've certainly seen my share of blue arbiter spirits, especially in NG+. I don't really mind though. I also have no way to tell if it's the covenant thing that causes it, because I'm sure I've accumulated plenty of sin by invading and Bell Broing. The only NPCs I killed were the fire keepers for their effigies and the big scorpion dude in the shaded woods because, well, I had poison arrows and I saw a big scorpion dude.  Gotta love how Dark Souls 2 throws in hideous abominations that turn out to be friendly. Apparently that giant ant in the Gutter is friendly and the smoke he emits cures poison. Makes me feel kind of bad for slaughtering him mercilessly.

Offline JimJ

• Big Montana
« Reply #69 on: April 07, 2014, 07:39:03 PM »
I have to say, I take a perverse amount of satisfaction in killing blue invaders. It doesn't happen often because I'm pretty bad at PVP, but it feels so good when it does.  I usually strive to be somewhat honorable in PVP, but all bets are off when I'm invaded by the self-righteous blues.

Offline Blasarius Yonder

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #70 on: April 08, 2014, 07:23:06 AM »
The blues won't stop for me.  I get to the Dragon Aerie/Shrine and kill a blue, and within 30 seconds I get another one, he kills me and I start the level again.  I can't progress this way.

I heard that getting killed by blues will cleanse you, so I died to a few in a row.  Eventually messaged a guy asking if he knew how many times I needed to die to get clean, he said he had no idea and was in the same boat.  He was invading as a blue to try to get rid of his sin, but he said his sin has actually increased from 'Sinner' to 'Wretch!'

Unless I want to specifically stop for PvP I have to go offline to be able to progress through the game.

Offline JimJ

• Big Montana
« Reply #71 on: April 10, 2014, 09:54:10 PM »
Looks like someone had a rough time fighting Demon of Song

Offline Blasarius Yonder

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #72 on: April 12, 2014, 01:10:50 PM »
Ouch.  Cool bloodstain though.

Reminds me of a mysterious bloodstain I found right next to the Firelink Shrine bonfire in Dark Souls.  The player was slammed up into the air -- WAY up into the air like when you get hit with the Black Knight (ultra)Greatsword's 2-hand strong attack -- and I never could figure out what enemy could have done that at Firelink Shrine. 

Online CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 693
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #73 on: April 20, 2014, 04:59:00 PM »

That's kind of the experience of Dark Souls. Complete confusion, hilarity ensues.

That's Dark Souls in a nutshell. Nobody has the slightest idea what the HELL is going on... and we like it that way >:D

Come on April 25, arrive already!

Offline JimJ

• Big Montana
« Reply #74 on: April 22, 2014, 12:27:41 PM »
It's available to pre-load on Steam now. It also seems like it will unlock at 6 PM EST on Thursday. Honestly, the main thing I'm looking forward to is shorter load times. The PS3 load times are really slow. I've got the PC version on my SSD so they should be much better. 60 FPS and 1080p will be nice too.