login

Author Topic: Dark Souls (and Dark Souls 2)  (Read 15916 times)

Offline Blasarius Yonder

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 10
Re: Dark Souls anyone?
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2013, 11:21:49 AM »
Speaking of retreating, how the hell do I get back out of Blighttown after killing
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I'm almost out of mosses! And I sure as hell can't get out the way I came.
Assuming you came in from The Depths and descended through Upper Blighttown, you can get out the same way, but don't.  Ride the giant wooden contraption up and ascend from there.  There are a couple of branching areas to explore, but if you don't have Purple Blooming Moss you can come back later (it's worth it).  For now just keep going up.  There's usually a torch by the ladders in case you get stuck.

Offline CJones

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 646
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2013, 05:49:29 PM »
Speaking of retreating, how the hell do I get back out of Blighttown after killing
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I'm almost out of mosses! And I sure as hell can't get out the way I came.
Assuming you came in from The Depths and descended through Upper Blighttown, you can get out the same way, but don't.  Ride the giant wooden contraption up and ascend from there.  There are a couple of branching areas to explore, but if you don't have Purple Blooming Moss you can come back later (it's worth it).  For now just keep going up.  There's usually a torch by the ladders in case you get stuck.

The giant wooden contraption is the way I got in (I started with the Master Key), but there didn't appear to be any way to get on it going up. I'll have go back and check that. I was trying to get out using the Depths route, but I kept getting killed. Thanks for the advice.

Offline Blasarius Yonder

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2013, 12:00:50 PM »
Sure.  Follow the torches, that makes it easier.  If you didn't explore those branching paths I mentioned before, make sure you do it at some point.  There's a valuable item up there.  Be smart to have at least a couple of the Purple Blooming Moss clumps when you do.

Offline CJones

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2013, 03:50:10 PM »
Oh my God, there was a ladder I didn't see before, leading to the other side of the lift. I'm finally back up to Firelink!

I never could get through the depths route, up or down.

Offline CJones

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2013, 07:45:01 AM »
BTW, this a 100% accurate representation of this game:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/6M9ONL6BcbU" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/6M9ONL6BcbU</a>

Offline Blasarius Yonder

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2013, 08:06:10 AM »
I never could get through the depths route, up or down.
Upper Blighttown has a lot of treasure.  No biggie though, it's mostly just soul items.  There's a weapon and a shield, but they're hardly game-breaking (getting the weapon requires a risky jump).  There is one powerful spell up there though, in case you go back don't miss it. 
Same rule applies, look for torches to find the ladders.

One a separate Souls note, I found a video of a blind playthrough on YT that cracked me up.  The guy was getting murdered by the Asylum Demon over and over.  He still had his Broken Sword that does like 2 damage per hit.  Finally, after a bunch of deaths he goes, "I f-ing hate this game... wait, is that a door?  THERE'S A ****ING DOOR???  GOD******* THERE'S A MOTHER******* DOOR!!!"  It was pretty funny, but the amazing thing was how great he felt when he went back and took the boss out.  Not many games provide that amount of satisfaction from beating bosses, and this is the TUTORIAL BOSS.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 1408
« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2014, 02:05:08 PM »
Yahtzee's review of Dark Souls is pretty spot on in my opinion.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/STrYyhEwkbY?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/STrYyhEwkbY?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

Offline JimJ

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 103
« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2014, 07:13:39 PM »
I'm on my first play of this and it's amazing how this game can make you feel. Last night it made me feel like an ultimate badass after I killed the Capra Demon in my first try. Tonight it made me feel like the ultimate dumbass. After beating the Gaping Dragon and my first invasion, both with summoned help, I was exploring the boss chamber. I didn't notice the fact that there was a huge drop. Of course, I also died on the way back to the bloodstain. 38,000 souls lost forever because I accidentally threw myself off a cliff  after beating the boss :'(

Offline Blasarius Yonder

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2014, 06:37:14 AM »
I'm on my first play of this and it's amazing how this game can make you feel. Last night it made me feel like an ultimate badass after I killed the Capra Demon in my first try. Tonight it made me feel like the ultimate dumbass. After beating the Gaping Dragon and my first invasion, both with summoned help, I was exploring the boss chamber. I didn't notice the fact that there was a huge drop. Of course, I also died on the way back to the bloodstain. 38,000 souls lost forever because I accidentally threw myself off a cliff  after beating the boss :'(
Gravity is the ultimate boss in Dark Souls, and will be again in Dark Souls II, I think.  It has taken more souls and humanity from experienced players than all the game's bosses combined.
Don't stop experimenting!  (Buy yourself a bunch of Prism Stones when you come across them.  Drop them and they'll alert you if a fall is terminal.)
Pretty soon 38,000 souls won't seem like much.

Offline JimJ

• Big Montana
« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2014, 10:05:53 AM »
Gravity is the ultimate boss in Dark Souls, and will be again in Dark Souls II, I think.  It has taken more souls and humanity from experienced players than all the game's bosses combined.
Don't stop experimenting!  (Buy yourself a bunch of Prism Stones when you come across them.  Drop them and they'll alert you if a fall is terminal.)

Thanks for the advice.  I may invest in some prism stones, but they wouldn't have saved me here as I just totally missed the fact that the drop existed and just wandered off the edge.  I did the same thing this morning after beating the Hydra  ::).  Thankfully I did manage to get back to that blood stain.

Anyway, I had my first real rage moments this morning, as I ventured back to the Undead Asylum and proceed to get my ass handed to me repeatedly by the Stray Demon.  Seriously, fuck that guy.  Did finally manage to beat him though with some help from YouTube. I think my main problem was that I'm wielding the Zweithander, which is slow as shit and pretty terrible for a fight that requires speed.  I suppose the next stop is Blighttown, which I've heard nothing but horrible, terrifying things about    :speechless:.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2014, 12:16:43 PM »

Thanks for the advice.  I may invest in some prism stones, but they wouldn't have saved me here as I just totally missed the fact that the drop existed and just wandered off the edge.  I did the same thing this morning after beating the Hydra  ::).  Thankfully I did manage to get back to that blood stain.

Anyway, I had my first real rage moments this morning, as I ventured back to the Undead Asylum and proceed to get my ass handed to me repeatedly by the Stray Demon.  Seriously, fuck that guy.  Did finally manage to beat him though with some help from YouTube. I think my main problem was that I'm wielding the Zweithander, which is slow as shit and pretty terrible for a fight that requires speed.  I suppose the next stop is Blighttown, which I've heard nothing but horrible, terrifying things about    :speechless:.

Just know that not all enemies respawn.  Sometimes it's worth sacrificing yourself to take out a particular nuisance.   

Offline Blasarius Yonder

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2014, 03:42:58 PM »
I'm wielding the Zweithander,
The Zwei is amazingly effective at clearing levels, but there are a few bosses that will test your ability to be patient and not spam the R1 attack.

I think Blighttown would be one of my favorite locations if it weren't for the framerate.  It took a loooong time for me to warm up to it though.

Offline JimJ

• Big Montana
« Reply #57 on: March 04, 2014, 09:31:49 PM »
So, I actually ended up skipping the majority of Blighttown with the Master Key.  What I did do wasn't that bad once I cleared out the blowdart douchebags.  I just beat the Four Kings and I'm not sure what comes next.  The guide I've been occasionally looking at lists Duke's Archive as the next area, so I guess I'll try that.  I think Anor Londo is my favorite area.  That place is fucking gorgeous.  Also had a pretty epic win over an invasion there.  I think we hit each other at the same time and I went down to like 1 HP and he died.

BTW, I've since switched from the Zweithander to a heavily upgraded Black Knight Halbeard.  I wreck everyone's shit with that thing.  I think I 5 or 6 shot each of the Four Kings when two handing it.  Might've been slightly more than that, but still took them out pretty quick.

Edit: "Ceaseless Discharge" may be my favorite boss name ever.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 08:13:45 PM by JimJ »

Offline JimJ

• Big Montana
« Reply #58 on: March 15, 2014, 11:27:19 AM »
Am I the only one here whose life is being consumed by Dark Souls 2?  I was going to wait for the PC release but my will power failed me and I got it on PS3.  I've really enjoyed it and have become hopelessly addicted. Some of the earliest bosses are a little too easy and similar to each other, but they get much more challenging and varied later on. I really like a lot of the boss and enemy design. Right now I feel like I may have wandered into some areas that I probably shouldn't be at yet, but I've been able to make some progress and beat some bosses in them, so maybe I am supposed to be there.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #59 on: March 15, 2014, 12:26:05 PM »
I only have a PC, but I'll be joining in the fun soon enough.  Glad to hear that it's living up to expectations.