Author Topic: La Nouvelle Cuisine Thread  (Read 123701 times)

Online Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6257
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
Re: La Nouvelle Cuisine Thread
« Reply #1185 on: March 23, 2020, 09:28:04 PM »
Managed to get enough beef and canned beans to make a big ol' pot of chili. That, plus a turkey in the freezer means leftovers for days. I'm now prepared for a weeks-long shut-in, should it come to that.
That seems like a bad plan in a situation where toilet paper might be hard to find...

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 2920
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #1186 on: March 31, 2020, 07:02:03 PM »
 Back in January I tried a coconut aminos soy sauce substitute from Better Body Foods and it was terrible.

Yesterday I tried Coconut Secret brand and it was much better, the other stuff was very sweet and tasted like burnt caramel, this had that slightly bitter soy sauce flavor and was only a little sweet.  I put some on a bowl of jasmine rice and it was close to what I remember.  I loved soy sauce on rice before I figured out I was allergic to soy, so haven't had it in almost 30 years.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 346
« Reply #1187 on: April 04, 2020, 03:39:30 PM »
J L Kraft Chipotle Aoli- highly recommend. Great on lots of things including in place of ketchup. Love restaurant chipotle ranch, but stuff you buy in stores almost always sucks. J L Craft Aoli not a ranch, but nice bit of chipotle heat without being too hot.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #1188 on: April 05, 2020, 12:22:53 PM »
Made a sugar free apple pie with an almond flour crust and homemade garlic and onion farmers cheese today (seperate things- not for eating together.
Apple pie turned out a bit crumply, but tastes great.
Farmers cheese still needs to cool a bit.
Have made homemade apple pie before, but this was first attempt to make homemade cheese.

Update: Homemade cheese still needs to chill a bit more. Good, but not great. Kind of like a dry cream cheese. Was easy enough to make that I'll probably make it again with more agressive seasoning. Very basic recipe- heat a half gallon of whole milk on medium heat setting until it reaches 190 degrees, turn off heat and stir in 1/4 cup white vingegar, let it sit for 15 minutes, add seasonings of your choice, strain using cheese cloth and a colandar, add teaspoon of salt, leave in cheese cloth and press curds into a ball, cool in fridge.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 02:01:40 PM by wihogfan »

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5899
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #1189 on: April 06, 2020, 04:17:17 PM »
Been working on overnight steel oats.  Working on making it better, but my first attempt... I accidentally put in quinioa by mistake.  Yikes.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #1190 on: April 08, 2020, 02:11:44 PM »
Haven't made a lemon meringue pie in probably 20 years, spent the afternoon making one.  Didn't have lemon zest so put some extra lemon oil in the lemon juice, probably won't be as "zesty" but should still be fairly tart.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #1191 on: April 09, 2020, 04:55:54 PM »
Was planning to grill steaks for dinner,  but too windy and snowy to grill. Stopped by the grocery store to pick up a few things for the weekend. Chicken wings on sale. Damn I love homemade chicken wings.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #1192 on: April 11, 2020, 07:05:11 PM »
Since powered milk isn't in stock anywhere I could find I looked at powdered malted milk for baking.

Unfortunately most of the brands of it contain soy, but I did find one on Amazon that didn't and it arrived today.

Since it's basically 5:1 powdered milk and barley malt I simply replaced the powdered milk and sugar in my bread recipe with it.  Instead of 3 tbls of milk and 1 tbls of sugar I used 4 tbls of malted milk.

It worked great, last loaf I made without milk powder didn't brown as nicely, this one did and the slight taste of the malt is very good.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #1193 on: April 16, 2020, 04:22:03 PM »
Hated meatloaf as a kid. Mom was generally not a very good cook and her meatloaf was a log of beef covered in ketchup. But there are a hundred ways to make it and a good meatloaf is now one of my favorite foods despite hardly ever eating it. Local grocery store makes a bake at home loaf that has ground pork as well as ground beef that makes for amazing sandwiches.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #1194 on: April 20, 2020, 09:23:52 AM »
Made the most mushroomy pizza ever yesterday.

Sliced up an entire small container of white mushrooms, saved the best looking slices for the top.  The rest I mixed with the sauce and cooked it on the stove for about half an hour to dive off the extra water from the mushrooms.

The best mushroom pizza I've had in a very long time.  Might try this method with portabellas sometime.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4439
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #1195 on: April 20, 2020, 12:59:29 PM »

Sliced up an entire small container of white mushrooms, saved the best looking slices for the top.  The rest I mixed with the sauce and cooked it on the stove for about half an hour to dive off the extra water from the mushrooms.

The best mushroom pizza I've had in a very long time.  Might try this method with portabellas sometime.
We request pics please  :P

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #1196 on: April 20, 2020, 01:59:14 PM »

Sorry, didn't take any.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3702
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #1197 on: April 20, 2020, 02:13:42 PM »
Digestion takes 24 to 72 hours, so there's still time!

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #1198 on: April 20, 2020, 02:21:36 PM »
Digestion takes 24 to 72 hours, so there's still time!

Dang it, I thought about adding a line like: "You don't want to see what it looks like now".  Oh well, another joke down the crapper...

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4439
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #1199 on: April 20, 2020, 02:45:55 PM »

Sorry, didn't take any.
Next time then. We'll wait :P