login

Author Topic: La Nouvelle Cuisine Thread  (Read 93962 times)

Offline wihogfan

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 89
Re: La Nouvelle Cuisine Thread
« Reply #1050 on: July 09, 2018, 04:01:30 PM »
Been eating way too much pork lately-grilled and smoked.
Meijer that opened up here had grand opening specials:
-Pork chops 69 cents a pound.
-Spare ribs 8 bucks a rack, buy 1 get 1 free
-Pork shoulder 89 cents a pound
Ate the last of the pork chops tonight. Still have a rack of uncooked ribs and 5 lbs of pork shoulder that I smoked in the freezer.

Offline wihogfan

• Big Montana
« Reply #1051 on: July 09, 2018, 08:58:45 PM »
Something that has been revolutionary in my diet (low carb for the last 2 plus years) has been psyllium husk powder. Using it in low carb wheat flour free and sugar free bread recipes makes for much more bread like wheat free and sugar free  bread (if that makes sense). Almond flour bread without psyllium husk powder can be good, but it's heavy.
Trick I've found is to also add yeast to the receipe (for flavor as yeast won't rise without sugar, but recipes with psyllium husk powder, almond and/or coconut flour and baking powder will rise-again the yeast gives it a more breadline flavor).
Word of caution though-psyllium husk powder is pure fiber-used to be the main ingredient in Metamucil before they went cheap and replaced it with a plastic derivative. In other words, psyllium husk powder will make you a lot more "regular" than usual until you adjust to it. The wife, who always hated most of my almond flour breads really likes my almond flour and psyllium husk powder bread and buns, but won't eat it due to not being on a low carb diet herself and hating that ummm..."regularity" that is it's side effect if you're not used to consuming that much fiber on a regular basis.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 09:25:37 PM by wihogfan »

Offline wihogfan

• Big Montana
« Reply #1052 on: July 16, 2018, 07:18:07 PM »
Limiting pork to once a week and beef to once a week and eating a lot more turkey and chicken.
Turkey bacon <<<< real bacon
But
Turkey bacon >> no bacon

Offline The Lurker

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 3785
« Reply #1053 on: July 22, 2018, 07:52:57 AM »