login

Author Topic: Acute Psychological Distress: Help  (Read 68727 times)

Offline Lunquewill

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 17
Re: Acute Psychological Distress: Help
« Reply #540 on: June 21, 2019, 01:26:52 PM »
I'm unraveling completely.

I'm in the hospital again, alone. I've been in and out of the hospital for over a decade now, but lately it's been torture. Last admission, I ended up curled up under the sink at one point. I can't bring myself to work, play games, anything. I feel pointless most of the time outside the hospital, but in here the feeling consumes me.

And now I read this thread about America's concentration camps. What the hell am I going to do about this? The 115 pound man with a severe, progressive lung disease in the hospital? How am I going to live with myself if I don't do anything? My

Not knowing anything about yourself, I can only suggest that you focus on your own health right now. The refugee crisis will continue to be there when you are better. Also, watch out for those manipulative political Twitter threads. Those things may well be happening, but they could also be taken out context.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 5067
« Reply #541 on: June 21, 2019, 06:57:29 PM »
I'm unraveling completely.

I'm in the hospital again, alone. I've been in and out of the hospital for over a decade now, but lately it's been torture. Last admission, I ended up curled up under the sink at one point. I can't bring myself to work, play games, anything. I feel pointless most of the time outside the hospital, but in here the feeling consumes me.

And now I read this thread about America's concentration camps. What the hell am I going to do about this? The 115 pound man with a severe, progressive lung disease in the hospital? How am I going to live with myself if I don't do anything? My brain wants to delete this knowledge, and my surroundings are making that very easy. Nurses just go about their day. Nothing is different. I'm fighting as hard as I can not to slip into denial, but I don't know how I can possibly stay sane if I don't.

I need therapy. Badly. Have for a long time. Can't get any in here.

I need my spirits high and my strength up to do my treatments the best I can, because they are not passive and I have to actually DO them for them to be effective. I have nothing left, physically or emotionally, and mentally I'm just broken.

I don't want to post about this here, but I have nowhere else. As pathetic as it is, seeing as I almost never post here, this is the closest thing I have to a community.

I'm really sorry you are going through another period in the hospital.  I understand the frustration with repeated severe dips in functioning, although I can not fully imagine the feelings involved from its gradual progression.

Especially when I am at my most emotionally drained, what I find helps is to avoid reading about the horrors of this administration.  They are too numerous and too horrific.  I subscribe to progressive e-mail groups that have letter-writing and petitions that can be fairly quickly signed and sent to my reps in Washington.  Beyond the brief context reading before signing, (and occasional donations when there is a particular action event that needs financial help) I try to avoid it.  I can only do what I can do with these things.  I learned that continuing to inundate myself with reading about the worst of humanity did nothing to enhance my life (such as it is).  Heck, I've eliminated many of the film genres I used to watch with regularity (e.g. action flicks of the Bruce Willis 'real life bad guy' type) because I realized that each of these things I was putting in my brain was deforming my view of life itself.

Now I don't know how feasible (or relevant) that may be for you, but from what I know of psychology, the brain focuses more on what it is exposed to regularly, so focusing on the horrors of humanity is guaranteed to fuck with one's emotional state.  i.e. I learn JUST enough to act in the ways that are available to me (generally writing letters or signing petitions, can't manage even brief phone calls), and then deliberately extract myself from such articles (and more importantly, discussions).  It is not chosen ignorance (as those who choose to watch propaganda like FOX News choose), it is self-protection, while still acting on the knowledge in the ways I can.  Being 'trapped' with awareness of horrors that I can't do anything (else) about is a sure-fire way for me to end up feeling more helpless and hopeless.

Caring for others, and the planet, are important human emotions and reactions.  Burying oneself under awareness of the horrors of others doesn't help anyone.  I always think of it as akin to the 'loss of cabin pressure' instructions on airplanes:  make sure your OWN oxygen mask is on and secure before trying to help others with theirs.  If I cannot get out and protest directly, in-person, then I do what I can from home and let it go.  (I will be blunt here: that took me a LONG time to get to, and I still struggle with it at times.)

I am happy that Lesbunny provided the assortment of regional resources that might be helpful to you, as well as offering her own communication capacities.  If you would like to chat with me, or if there is something I might be able to help with, e-mail me.  I am struggling right now as well, but am willing to do what I can, Quirk.  I am at least functional enough where if I can't fully manage something I will say so, so it would not be putting me out.  You are a great person that I have a great deal of respect for.  If I can help, within my limitations, I will.
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Quirk

« Reply #542 on: June 22, 2019, 08:45:40 AM »
Thank you for your replies. The night I posted, I talked a little with my nurse. She was very supportive and sympathetic (most nurses are, when you need it). Like you suggest, LucasM, she said it helps her to consume as much positive media as negative. I've been trying to do that, and it is helping. I also looked into what I can do to help the refugee crisis and found that foster parents are needed. My wife and I just so happen to be nearly done with our fostering certification classes. She didn't even hesitate to agree that we should do it, even if it means moving (I haven't looked into it deep enough to know if we need to or not).

I also spoke with somebody here from Behavioral Health, who agreed that I need to change my antidepressant, so we've begun that process. When I get out, I will be looking into the places you recommended, Lesbunny.

Thanks again for all your replies. It always helps more than I think it will just to have others connect with me on a human level. It makes me feel much less alone.

Offline F-Zero

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 185
« Reply #543 on: June 22, 2019, 11:15:30 AM »
Thank you for your replies. The night I posted, I talked a little with my nurse. She was very supportive and sympathetic (most nurses are, when you need it). Like you suggest, LucasM, she said it helps her to consume as much positive media as negative. I've been trying to do that, and it is helping. I also looked into what I can do to help the refugee crisis and found that foster parents are needed. My wife and I just so happen to be nearly done with our fostering certification classes. She didn't even hesitate to agree that we should do it, even if it means moving (I haven't looked into it deep enough to know if we need to or not).

I also spoke with somebody here from Behavioral Health, who agreed that I need to change my antidepressant, so we've begun that process. When I get out, I will be looking into the places you recommended, Lesbunny.

Thanks again for all your replies. It always helps more than I think it will just to have others connect with me on a human level. It makes me feel much less alone.

Dad advice: ...then stop thinking. Go be an athlete at something.

Offline Russoguru

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1139
« Reply #544 on: June 27, 2019, 12:15:26 AM »
I don't understand people who feel absolutely zero guilt or zero remorse for the shitty things they've done. My mind has been so effed up over the years that I personally felt guilt over things that weren't even my fault or things I didn't do. For example, right after 9/11 somehow I got it in my head that I should have been there to stop the terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center. For years part of my brain endlessly chided me with "You should have been there to stop it.".
"Russoguru is a naive jackass"
“I have no issues calling you a fucking moron. That's not dehumanizing you.”

Quirk

« Reply #545 on: June 28, 2019, 08:57:58 AM »
I don't understand people who feel absolutely zero guilt or zero remorse for the shitty things they've done. My mind has been so effed up over the years that I personally felt guilt over things that weren't even my fault or things I didn't do. For example, right after 9/11 somehow I got it in my head that I should have been there to stop the terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center. For years part of my brain endlessly chided me with "You should have been there to stop it.".

I think some people feel that way until they can't take it anymore and just shut the guilt down so they can survive.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 04:04:56 AM by RVR II »

Offline Russoguru

« Reply #546 on: June 28, 2019, 08:08:24 PM »
Today I went out of my way to be extra nice to people. I mean I'll be damned if two rude and inconsiderate middle-aged assholes change the kind of person I am. For years, as a lot of you know I could be a real asshole at times and I didn't even think about how sometimes the things I said were hurtful and I should have been more mindful of the people I was addressing. I can't change being mentally disabled but I can still at least try to be good to other people in spite of the shitty people I encounter and the shitty behavior they show towards me.

Offline linszoid

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 609
« Reply #547 on: July 04, 2019, 04:36:27 PM »
I think this is kind of key to life. Imagine the person you want to be and then try to be that person. Don't try to control the actions of other people. You'll probably be disappointed if you do. Focus on what you can change.

Offline CJones

• Liked: 1231
  • My name is Raphaël Ambrosius Costeau
« Reply #548 on: July 05, 2019, 01:51:26 AM »
I'm not religious at all, and I've had religious people ask me "how do you know the difference between right and wrong without Jesus?" I tell them I have one simple rule: Don't be an asshole.

It is astounding how many people have trouble with this concept. Life is shitty enough as it is. The best thing you can do is not make it worse.

Offline Lunquewill

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 17
« Reply #549 on: July 05, 2019, 08:07:54 AM »
I tell them I have one simple rule: Don't be an asshole.

It is astounding how many people have trouble with this concept. Life is shitty enough as it is. The best thing you can do is not make it worse.

The Bible quotes Jesus with that statement. Maybe not with those exact words, but the idea is there.

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 600
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
« Reply #550 on: July 05, 2019, 10:01:37 AM »
I'm not religious at all, and I've had religious people ask me "how do you know the difference between right and wrong without Jesus?" I tell them I have one simple rule: Don't be an asshole.

There was a time where I would've asked someone this. Secular humanism is very confounding to a lot of conservative Christians because, philosophically speaking, they cannot separate God from good whereas many understand goodness to be independent of God. If someone asks you again though, just throw a little Romans 2:14-15: For when Gentiles who do not have the Law do instinctively the things of the Law, these, not having the Law, are a law to themselves, in that they show the work of the Law written in their hearts, their conscience bearing witness and their thoughts alternately accusing or else defending them.

Or, y'know, just say the Bible talks about having a conscience outside of God too.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 3183
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #551 on: July 05, 2019, 10:05:35 AM »
Probably a lot easier to simply ask them the question:  So you would not know right from wrong unless you were told by someone else?

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 600
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
« Reply #552 on: July 05, 2019, 11:08:26 AM »
Probably a lot easier to simply ask them the question:  So you would not know right from wrong unless you were told by someone else?
As effective as this could be, "being told by someone else" is practically a tenet of Christian faith if "someone else" is a divine being or divinely inspired. So they would answer, "Yep!" And then you get into the fun realm of Christian epistemology (aka "Because Jesus. End of story"). It's frustratingly circular.

I feel this is getting into some pretty murky waters here, so this may need to continue in a different thread. I like the positivity I've read here though, and I don't want to take away from that. Don't be an a-hole is great advice any which way you look at it.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 11:10:27 AM by stansimpson »

Online Cupcake

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 1227
  • Rebranded from Lesbunny
« Reply #553 on: July 05, 2019, 03:08:18 PM »
I spent the last 3 days in a hospital because I was on the verge of breaking down.

Offline Russoguru

« Reply #554 on: July 05, 2019, 04:55:29 PM »
I spent the last 3 days in a hospital because I was on the verge of breaking down.
So sorry to hear Lesbunny. I really, really hope you get well soon.  :(