Author Topic: LoC 73 - Top 50 Video Games of the '90s  (Read 28988 times)

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3896
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
Re: LoC 73 - Top 50 Video Games of the '90s
« Reply #120 on: August 17, 2013, 08:49:14 PM »
# 1–Shaq-Fu

(Shaq Points) Shaq of 16 Lists - Highest Ranking – #Shaq - Shaq
Greetings big warrior. You are the one from the stars, I presume? I thought I’d never live to see the day!

Release Date:  October 28, 1994

Just the facts/Stuff I wiki'd:
Shaq Fu is a 2D fighting game released on the Sega Mega Drive/Genesis and Super Nintendo game platforms on October 28, 1994. It was ported to the Amiga, Sega Game Gear and Game Boy platforms in 1995. The game was published by Electronic Arts and developed by the now-defunct Delphine Software International. It features former professional basketball player Shaquille O'Neal (also known as Shaq) as a playable character.

In the game's storyline, Shaquille O'Neal wanders into a kung fu dojo while heading to a charity basketball game in Tokyo, Japan. After speaking with a kung fu master, he stumbles into another dimension, where he must rescue a young boy named Nezu from the evil mummy Sett-Ra.

The Sega Mega Drive/Genesis version of Shaq Fu has five more playable characters (Auroch, Colonel, Diesel, Leotsu and Nezu) and three more stages (The Lab, The Wasteland, and Yasko Mines) than the Super NES version, therefore the Mega Drive/Genesis version has a longer story mode. The North/South Gate stage is accessible in the SNES version with a cheat code, whereas the Mega Drive/Genesis version has the North/South Gate stage available from the start. The Amiga version is the same as the Mega Drive/Genesis version (it even keeps a "Licensed by Sega Enterprises, LTD" leftover from that version in the title screen), but the backgrounds have no animation. It also only has three songs; there is no music during the fights.

The Game Boy port has the same seven characters as the Super NES version, whereas the Game Gear port only has six characters. Both the Game Boy and Game Gear versions have no tournament mode or in-game voices. Due to the Game Boy's monochrome screen, the Game Boy version is not in color.
Pak's Thoughts Just kidding!

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3896
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #121 on: August 17, 2013, 08:49:35 PM »
# 1–The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

(135 Points) 7of 16 Lists - Highest Ranking – #3 - goflyblind/Monty
Oh, ho?... You would like to be totally destroyed? Well, I can't make that wish come true!

Release Date:  November 21, 1991

Just the facts/Stuff I wiki'd:
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, known as The Legend of Zelda: The Triforce of the Gods in Japan, is a 2D action-adventure video game developed and published by Nintendo for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System video game console. It is the third installment in The Legend of Zelda series and was released in 1991 in Japan and 1992 in North America and Europe. Shigeru Miyamoto and his team were solely responsible for this game's development.

The plot of A Link to the Past focuses on Link as he travels on a journey to save Hyrule, defeat Ganon and rescue the seven descendants of the Sages. A Link to the Past uses a 3/4 top-down perspective similar to that of the original The Legend of Zelda, dropping the side scrolling elements of Zelda II: The Adventure of Link. A Link to the Past introduced elements to the series that are still commonplace today, such as the concept of an alternate or parallel world, the Master Sword and other new weapons and items.

Released to critical and commercial success, A Link to the Past was a landmark title for Nintendo and is widely considered today to be one of the greatest video games of all time. A Link to the Past has sold over 4 million units world wide and has been ported to both the Game Boy Advance (with slight changes) and the Wii's Virtual Console. Both ports were very popular and contributed to the overall success of the game. A successor to the game, titled The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds, is currently in development for the Nintendo 3DS.

Instead of continuing to use the side-scrolling perspective introduced to the series by Zelda II: The Adventure of Link, A Link to the Past reverts to an overhead perspective similar to that of the original. While A Link to the Past still uses mechanics and concepts from the original game, it also introduces new elements and innovations. For instance, arrows are now separate items, as bombs are in the original, instead of using a Rupee to fire an arrow. A Link to the Past also takes concepts from The Adventure of Link, such as the magic meter, which is used by items such as the Lamp. Control of Link is more flexible than in previous games, as he can walk diagonally and can run with the aid of the Pegasus Shoes. Link's sword attack was improved to swing sideways instead of merely stabbing forward; this gives his sword a broader range and makes combat easier.

Recurring items and techniques were introduced for the first time in A Link to the Past, such as the Hookshot, the Master Sword, the Spin Attack technique, the Ocarina, and the Pegasus Boots. Heart Containers that increase the player's maximum health (hit points) in the earlier two games are present, but many are split into "Pieces of Heart", four of which make up one Heart Container. Most of them are well hidden, adding replay value to the game. All dungeons are multi-level, requiring Link to walk between floors and sometimes fall through holes to land on lower levels.

A Link to the Past is the first appearance of what would subsequently become a major Zelda trademark: the existence of two parallel worlds between which the player travels. The first, called the Light World, is the ordinary Hyrule where Link grew up with his uncle. The second is what was once the Sacred Realm, but became the Dark World when Ganon acquired the Triforce. The Dark World is a corrupted version of Hyrule; the water is a dark, unpleasant green color, the grass is dead, skulls replace rocks and pots, and trees have faces. People change forms in the Dark World based on their nature; without an item to prevent it (in this case, the Moon Pearl), Link turns into a pink rabbit. Each location in the Light World corresponds to a similar location in the Dark World, usually with a similar physical structure but an opposite nature (e.g. a desert in the Light World corresponds to a swamp in the Dark World, a peaceful village in the Light World corresponds to a dilapidated town of thieves in the Dark World).

Link can travel from the Dark World to the Light World at almost any outside location by using a magic mirror, and can travel back to the Dark World again from the same location using a temporary portal left behind on the map at the point where he reappears in the Light World. Otherwise, Link must use hidden warp locations throughout the Light World to travel from the Light World to the Dark World. Travel between worlds allows for puzzles in A Link to the Past that exploit structural differences between the Light and Dark Worlds, as Link may travel to otherwise inaccessible areas in one world by warping from parallel but accessible locations in the other world.
Pak's Thoughts – Being the nerd I was in High School, I lived vicariously through this game. The idea of scouring the countryside to save the princess from an evil wizard has always been appealing to my nerdy/romantic self, and if I could live out any video game, I’d probably choose this one. The dark world/light world stuff was brilliant. The theme of the Dark World is the music I play in my head whenever I need to tackle things with determination.

Whew! Here we are! I’ll try to post up some bonus entries over the next few days. Thanks to everyone who voted! Keep the conversation going!

Offline The Lurker

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 5535
« Reply #122 on: August 17, 2013, 08:53:09 PM »
#5–Goldeneye 007

I still remember the floating remote mine trick from that game.

Offline Tyrant

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 71
  • 2007-11 Satanic Humanitarian Award Winner
« Reply #123 on: August 17, 2013, 09:10:49 PM »
# 1–Shaq-Fu

Not ashamed to say we had this game and it's so awful it's...awful.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #124 on: August 17, 2013, 09:13:28 PM »
Excellent list.  I thought that Goldeneye might be the winner simply because it is possible the best FPS ever.  I like things like Halo OK, but it really paved the way for Call of Duty and games of that ilk by being about being tricky and finding secrets and hiding spots.  So satisfying when you can outwit the opponent.

The 2 Mario games are also insanely good.  While the Wii is still doing well, this was the last decade of true Nintendo dominance in the field and for good reason.  Sega had a few good games, but the Nintendo ones where ingenuous, groundbreaking and, most importantly, fun!

Street Fighter II is also SOOO good.  It holds up very well and created the formula that all of the other games followed.  I mean, who even remembers Street Fighter I?

Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past is so very, very good.  The 64 game was very good, but there's something about this one I love so much more.  It's such a colourful fun world and like FFVI just feels huge.

Offline Raven

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 177
  • Nevermore...
« Reply #125 on: August 17, 2013, 09:30:42 PM »
Lol- Shaq Fu.

I swore Super Mario World was listed already.  Not sure what I was thinking.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #126 on: August 17, 2013, 09:36:45 PM »
Thanks for a great list Pak!

Here's mine

1. Super Mario World
2. Super Mario Bros 3
3. Goldeneye 64
4. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
5. Final Fantasy VI (AKA Final Fantasy III)
6. Chrono Trigger
7. Mario 64
8. Street Fighter II
9. The Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time
10. Super Smash Bros.
11. Final Fantasy VII
12. Marvel Vs. Capcom : Clash of the Super-Heroes
13. Final Fantasy
14. Donkey Kong Country
15. Super Mario RPG
16. Mario Kart 64
17. Earthworm Jim
18. Final Fight   
19. Star Tropics
20. Parrapa the Rappa
21. Day of the Tentacle
22. Maniac Mansion (for NES)
23. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time
24. Banjo-Kazooie
25. Battletoads

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 1185
« Reply #127 on: August 17, 2013, 10:15:17 PM »
Absolutely shocked that we made a top 50 list without Metal Gear Solid on it.

My number 1 was Xenogears, the greatest game ever.

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 7357
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #128 on: August 18, 2013, 03:05:58 AM »
01. Sim City 2000 (MacOS)
02. Gran Turismo (PS1)
03. Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES)
04. F-Zero (SNES)
05. Super Mario World (SNES)
06. Escape Velocity (MacOS)
07. Gran Turismo 2 (PS1)
08. Super Mario Kart (SNES)
09. You Don't Know Jack (MacOS)
10. Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness (MacOS)
11. Final Fantasy IV or II (the one with Cecil and the moon - SNES)
12. SimTower (MacOS)
13. Dirt Bike (by Brad Quick, old MacOS shareware game)
14. Soul Blazer (SNES)
15. Illusion of Gaia (SNES)
16. Warcraft: Orcs & Humans (MacOS)
17. Uniracers (SNES)
18. Civilization (MacOS)
19. Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (GB)
20. Super Mario RPG (SNES)
21. Super Street Fighter II: The New Challengers (SNES)
22. MTV Sports: Snowboarding (PS1)
23. Chuck Yeager's Air Combat (MacOS)
24. NHL 2000 (PS1)
25. SimFarm (MacOS)
dF = 0
d*F = J

Online CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1183
  • My name is Raphaël Ambrosius Costeau
« Reply #129 on: August 18, 2013, 04:21:04 PM »
#3–Street Fighter II

(126 Points) 9 of 16 Lists - Highest Ranking – #1 – Cjones
You must defeat my dragon punch to stand a chance! 

Me and my friends were all huge fans of Street Fighter 2, right from the start. I really miss those days, back when nobody had any idea how to play a fighting game. Pulling of a three hit combo was like the best thing ever. However, the turning point for me was the day I saw some guy using Zangief, and this was the first person I had seen someone who could do his SPD from a standstill. (this was back in the day when it reached like halfway across the screen and did ludicrous damage). He was absolutely slaughtering everyone. From that day on, I knew I had to learn to do that. And I did. I later also played T Hawk and Hugo.

I still play T Hawk in SF4 online. If you ever see someone with the name CAJones7 playing on Windows Live, that's me. I'm not very good anymore I admit, and my controller keeps dying on me. Anyway, here's my list:

1 Street Fighter 2
2 Star Control 2 (later remade into The Ur-Quan Masters, which is free, and highly recommended)
3 Master of Magic
4 Battletoads (I'm not even kidding)

5 Saga Frontier (also not kidding)
6 Final Fantasy Tactics
7 Master of Orion 2
8 Planescape: Torment
9 Ancient Domains of Mystery (better known as ADOM)
10 Shadow of the Colossus - I'm surprised this didn't make it. Or did I just miss it?
11 Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
12 Super Mario Bros 3

13 Fallout
14 D&D: Shadow over Mystara
15 Super Metroid
16 Nethack
17 X-Com (the original one)
18 Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
19 Wing Commander 2
20 Guantlet Legends (arcade version)
21 Final Fantasy 7
22 Heroes of Might & Magic 3
23 Tekken 3
24 Zombies Ate My Neighbors
25 Myst

Offline Raven

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 177
  • Nevermore...
« Reply #130 on: August 18, 2013, 04:25:39 PM »
10 Shadow of the Colossus - I'm surprised this didn't make it. Or did I just miss it?

2005 isn't in the 90s.

Offline Charles Castle

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 1065
  • Are you now, or have you ever been, a Ford owner?
« Reply #131 on: August 18, 2013, 11:24:59 PM »
1. Gunstar Heroes
2. Final Fantasy VIII

3. Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain
4. Sonic the Hedgehog 2
5. The Secret of Monkey Island

6. Thunderforce 3
7. Lunar the Silver Star
8. Disney's Aladdin (Genesis)
9. Final Fantasy VII
10. Blade Runner
11. Sonic the Hedgehog
12. NBA Showtime: NBA on NBC - I don't know if Pak included this vote as one for NBA Jam or not. Maybe?
13. Flashback: The Quest for Identity
14. Strider
15. Final Fantasy VII - This was supposed to say Final Fantasy Tactics. Woops.
16. Snatcher
17. Thunderforce 4
18. Landstalker
19. Dune
20. Sonic CD
21. Tekken 3
22. Phantasy Star 4
23. Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge
24. Out Of This World
25. Metal Gear Solid

I never played much on any of the Nintendo consoles (though I spent a lot of time watching Zelda on Super Nintendo and N64), so I pretty much went with Genesis, Playstation and PC. That just means there is a world of games out there still for me to explore. I'll be using this list to help out.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 11:27:24 PM by Charles Hussein Castle »
You know, if the space man puma thing turns out to be the correct religion, I for one will be very surprised.

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #132 on: August 19, 2013, 09:38:20 AM »
1. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64)
2. Super Mario 64 (N64)

3. Pokemon Silver (GBC)
4. Silent Hill (PS)
5. Goldeneye 007 (N64)
6. Super Mario World (SNES)
7. RollerCoaster Tycoon (PC)
8. Starcraft (PC)

9. Star Fox 64 (N64)
10. Metal Slug (Arcade)
11. Pokemon Blue (GB)
12. The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening (GBC)

13. Duke Nukem 3D (PC)
14. Time Crisis II (Arcade)
15. Vigilante 8 (N64)
16. Doom (PC)
17. Beetle Adventure Racing (N64)
18. Rayman 2: The Great Escape (N64)
19. Snowboard Kids 2 (N64)
20. Mario Party (N64)
21. Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six (PC)
22. Area 51 (Arcade)
23. SimCity 3000 (PC)
24. Pokemon Yellow (GBC)
25. Star Wars: Rogue Squadron (N64)

Like I've said time and time again, I was a bit of a late bloomer when it came to gaming in the 90s, and then almost exclusively on Nintendo consoles. Still, I think most of the ones I expected to make it, made it (I'm gonna chalk up Pokemon Silver's omission to it being so close to the 2000 cutoff that most people skipped it). That said, no Arcade gamers out there? Because I can think of no other good reason for the lack of Metal Slug...

Offline Thrifty Version II

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 556
  • Now with 30% Less Fat!
« Reply #133 on: August 19, 2013, 10:28:35 AM »
Here's mine.  Trying to remember exactly which made the list.  Quite a few I think.

• Final Fantasy 7
  • Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
  • Lunar: Silver Star Story
  • Shining Force II
  • Starcraft
  • The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
  • Lufia 2: Rise of the Sinistrals
  • Bart's Nightmare
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 4: Turtles in Time
  • Sonic CD
  • SimCity (SNES version)
  • Mischief Makers