Author Topic: LoC 73 - Top 50 Video Games of the '90s  (Read 28199 times)

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3745
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
Re: LoC 73 - Top 50 Video Games of the '90s
« Reply #150 on: August 21, 2013, 08:09:46 PM »
BONUS ENTRY–Planescape: Torment

(25 Points) 2 of 16 Lists - Highest Ranking – #8 – Cjones
Um... has anyone seen a floating sarcastic skull around here?

Release Date:  December 12, 1999

Just the facts/Stuff I wiki'd:
Planescape: Torment is a role-playing video game developed for Microsoft Windows by Black Isle Studios and released on December 12, 1999 by Interplay Entertainment. It takes place in locations from the multiverse of Planescape, an Advanced Dungeons & Dragons (AD&D) fantasy campaign setting. The game's engine is a modified version of the Infinity Engine, which was also used for BioWare's Baldur's Gate, a previous AD&D game set in the Forgotten Realms.

Planescape: Torment is primarily story-driven; combat is given much less prominence than in most contemporary role-playing games. The protagonist, known as The Nameless One, is an immortal who has lived many lives but has forgotten all about them, even forgetting his own name. The game focuses on his journey through the city of Sigil and other planes to reclaim his memories of these previous lives. Several characters in the game may join The Nameless One on his journey, and most of these characters have encountered him in the past or have been influenced by his actions in some way.

The game was not a significant commercial success but received widespread critical praise and has since become a cult classic. It was lauded for its immersive dialogue, for the dark and relatively obscure Planescape setting, and for the protagonist's unique persona, which shirked many characteristics of traditional role-playing games. It was considered by video game journalists to be the best role-playing game (RPG) of 1999, and continues to receive attention long after its release.

Planescape: Torment is built on BioWare's Infinity Engine, which presents the player with a two-dimensional world in which player characters are controlled. The game's rules are based on those of Advanced Dungeons & Dragons. The player takes the role of "The Nameless One", an immortal being on a quest to learn why he cannot die. Exploration around the painted scenery is accomplished by clicking on the ground to move, or on objects and characters to interact with them. Items and spells may be employed through hotkeys, "quick slots", or a radial menu. An alternative to armor is the use of magical tattoos, which can be applied to The Nameless One and certain other characters to enhance their abilities.

The game begins with character creation, where the player assigns attribute points (such as strength, intelligence, charisma) to The Nameless One. The Nameless One starts the game as a fighter, but the player may later change his character class to thief or wizard, with the option to also change back to fighter, after finding corresponding tutors. The player may recruit adventuring companions over the course of the game; there are seven potential party members, but a maximum of five may accompany the player at any one time. Conversation is frequent among party members, occurring both randomly and during conversations with other non-player characters.

Planescape: Torment's gameplay often focuses on the resolution of quests through dialogue rather than combat, and many of the game's combat encounters can be resolved or avoided through dialogue or stealth; a review of the game in incite PC Gaming says that "The game is almost entirely story driven, and by asking the right questions you should only have to get violent a handful of times." The Nameless One carries a journal, which helps the player keep track of the game's numerous quests and subplots. Death of the player character usually imposes no penalty beyond respawning in a different location.

Alignment in AD&D—which determines a character's ethical and moral perspective on the independent axes of "good vs. evil" and "law vs. chaos"—is a static property, chosen by the player at the start of a game. In Planescape: Torment, the character begins as a "true neutral" character (that is, neither good nor evil, and neither lawful nor chaotic) and throughout the game, based on the character's actions, this property is incrementally changed. Non-player characters respond to The Nameless One differently, depending on his alignment. A review in NextGen reported that "the game caters to both the goody-goody player who wants to be nice and lawful, and the evil bastards who just want to kill everything and take no guff from anyone".

Pak's Thoughts – This game was never even on my radar. I only heard about it a couple years ago when everyone was excited it was coming to GOG.com. And up until 2 minutes ago, I was reading it as “Planescape Tournament”. So what’s this? Dialogue and story driven instead of combat focused, you say? I think I have to give this a try sometime…

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #151 on: August 21, 2013, 08:10:20 PM »
BONUS ENTRY–Metal Slug

(25 Points) 2 of 16 Lists - Highest Ranking – #10 – Relaxing Dragon

Release Date:  May 24, 1996

Just the facts/Stuff I wiki'd:
Metal Slug is a run and gun video game developed by Nazca Corporation and published by SNK. It was originally released in 1996 for the Neo-Geo MVS arcade platform. The game is widely known for its sense of humor, fluid hand-drawn animation, and fast paced two-player action. It is the first title in the Metal Slug series.

Gameplay is very basic; the player(s) must shoot constantly at a continual stream of enemies in order to reach the end of each level. At this point, the player confronts a boss, who is usually considerably larger and tougher than regular enemies. On the way through each level, the player can find numerous weapon upgrades and "Metal Slug" tanks. The tank is known as the SV-001 ("SV" stands for Super Vehicle), which not only increases the player's offense, but considerably adds to their defense.

In addition to shooting, the player can also perform melee attacks by using a knife and/or kicking. The player does not die simply by coming into contact with enemies, and correspondingly, many of the enemy troops also have melee attacks. Much of the game's scenery is also destructible, and occasionally, this reveals extra items or power-ups, although most of the time it simply results in collateral damage.

During the course of a level, the player also encounters POWs, who, if freed, offer the player bonuses in the form of random items or weapons. At the end of each level, the player receives a scoring bonus based on the number of freed POWs. If the player dies before the end of the level, the tally of freed POWs reverts to zero.

There are a total of six levels, in locations such as forests, garrisoned cities, snowy mountain valleys, canyons, and military bases.

Pak's Thoughts – If you’ve never played this game, you’ve never been to an arcade. This game or one of its sequels resided in every arcade from 1996 to present, and since the Neo Geo machines only cost a quarter, it was always the place to go when you’d used up most of your quarters on the big titles.  It’s a darn fun game too. One of the few games that’s way more fun with a second player. The animations are great and the explosions are very satisfying.

OK! That’s it for bonus entries! This list is totally over now! Now to play some of these babies for a while. :^)

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 1185
« Reply #152 on: August 22, 2013, 02:36:54 PM »
BONUS ENTRY–Xenogears

(25 Points) 1 of 16 Lists - Highest Ranking – #1 – Rainbow Dash
Master, sir, did you just see my MAD SKILLZ?

Release Date:  February 11, 1998

Pak's Thoughts – I never gave this one a fair shake, since it looked like one of the many Sci-Fi RPGs square was churning out at the time, but I’m intrigued after writing this up at a game that touches on psychology, philosophy and religion. I might have to give this a download some time…

Xenogears has one of the most in depth stories I have ever seen.  It's the only game I would say went to an almost Tolkien like level of backstory.  There was even a massive 300 page artbook that outlines their planes for 6 games (of which Xengoears was to be the 5th chapter) that spanned over 10,000 years of history.   It has a interesting cast of characters, and amazing music.  The games only downfall was the second disk.  Square wanted the game out and pressured for it's release.  Long as the game already was (most people take 60-70 hours their first playthrough) there was a lot left to do.  Rather than edit down the story and cut stuff they went with doing very, very long cut scenes in the later half of the game.  Telling the player what has been going on and interweaving it with occasional boss fights and other interactive moments.  I found the story so engaging that this did not bug me too much.

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 7194
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #153 on: August 22, 2013, 02:41:14 PM »
BONUS ENTRY–Sim City 2000

(25 Points) 1 of 16 Lists - Highest Ranking – #1 – goflyblind

YOU CANNOT CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS!
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline pumpkinpearl

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 24
  • Have fun storming the castle!
    • Zee Tvitter
« Reply #154 on: August 22, 2013, 03:12:59 PM »
The top of my list for, well, basically all time.

Murder Most Moist

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #155 on: August 22, 2013, 03:24:19 PM »
Was surprised that one didn't make the cut. It was a BLAST to play with two other people and the multitap. I was always the sprite and liked to use the boomarang weapon set.

Offline pumpkinpearl

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 24
  • Have fun storming the castle!
    • Zee Tvitter
« Reply #156 on: August 22, 2013, 03:42:40 PM »
I actually never played with the multi-tap, but my friends & I took turns with 2-player.  I've revered this flippin' game so much, I made some tea blends inspired by it.  Hell, the soundtrack is still appealing after all these years.

I'd sort of forgotten about Star Fox over the years, so I'm glad it was on this list.  It might be time to hook up the ol' SNES...
Murder Most Moist

Offline gojikranz

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 23
  • im baaaack
    • my facebook?
« Reply #157 on: August 25, 2013, 02:14:43 PM »
bonks adventure was brilliant, for some reason my grandma had a turbo grafx so we would always love to go to grandmas, though for my money bonks revenge was the highlight.
MICROPHONE MANIAC COMING SOON!!
Promo Featurette: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vzYR6_-UqE

Offline Thrifty Version II

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 556
  • Now with 30% Less Fat!
« Reply #158 on: August 25, 2013, 02:18:55 PM »
I could never beat Bonk's Adventure if I got any game overs at any point after the first life bar extension power up.  Because if you got a game over, you would lose your life bar extensions permanently.  If I didn't have 5 hearts, I could never make it past the part on level 5 where you have to re-fight all the old bosses.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #159 on: August 29, 2013, 07:17:25 AM »
My latest Kickstarter update from Project Fedora suddenly reminds me that I forgot about the Tex Murphy games when I made my list. Those things are a blast..

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 953
« Reply #160 on: September 05, 2013, 08:49:23 PM »
Missed out on my chance to make a list... but this one brought back some memories... A few that would have made my list had I been around to contribute:

X-Wing Alliance - PC ('99): After a semi-recent replay... a lot of missions are "inspect these 40 containers and once you inspect number 33, you'll get ambushed"...  and some of the stages later on were ridiculously difficult... but even with some warts, it's probably the pinnacle of the single player 90s space sims.

Parrapa the Rapper - PS1 (96?): Kick... punch... it's all in the mind.... Motherfuck this game because I loved it despite sucking at it and taking months to complete what should have taken four hours. I suck at all the Guitar Hero / Rock Band games too... just thinking about them makes me feel arthritic.

NHL '94 - Sega Genesis: This game will always be synonymous with my college days... There weren't enough NHL teams around to accommodate everybody that wanted in on the dorm-wide tournaments that eventually took root... Brackets were hung on posterboard outside our room... Controllers had to 'certified' by the league officers to ensure no sticky buttons or unresponsive d-pads... we had freakin 'league officers'...  Televisions had to be at least 24" or larger... It got pretty damned crazy.  Eventually we shut the whole thing down when relatively high stakes gambling crept in... as an altercation broke out when a $40 bet on a goddamn video hockey game result wasn't settled in a timely manner... For a minute we thought the dude was going to transfer to a different college... all because the 16bit Whalers upset the 16bit Flames... Fun times.... and a game that actually still holds up pretty well.

Simpsons / X-Men / TMNT four player - two TVs smashed together the one cabinet arcade games: Straightforward beat em ups... but damn if I didn't love every one of them.. Probably the last arcade games I sunk significant quarters into. 

Metal Gear Solid - PS1 ('98?): Probably the first video game ever made that truly made you feel like you were in an action movie.

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
« Reply #161 on: September 05, 2013, 09:30:46 PM »
No Snake Rattle and Roll?  I spent quite a long time eating those nibbly pibblies
Opticians are easy on the eyes

Offline Raven

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 177
  • Nevermore...
« Reply #162 on: September 06, 2013, 02:49:08 PM »
NHL '94 - Sega Genesis: This game will always be synonymous with my college days... There weren't enough NHL teams around to accommodate everybody that wanted in on the dorm-wide tournaments that eventually took root... Brackets were hung on posterboard outside our room... Controllers had to 'certified' by the league officers to ensure no sticky buttons or unresponsive d-pads... we had freakin 'league officers'...  Televisions had to be at least 24" or larger... It got pretty damned crazy.  Eventually we shut the whole thing down when relatively high stakes gambling crept in... as an altercation broke out when a $40 bet on a goddamn video hockey game result wasn't settled in a timely manner... For a minute we thought the dude was going to transfer to a different college... all because the 16bit Whalers upset the 16bit Flames... Fun times.... and a game that actually still holds up pretty well.

I don't think money was involved but we had some physical altercations spawn from this game as well.  Hockey is supposed to result in fights after all.  This was on my list by the way. 

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 953
« Reply #163 on: September 06, 2013, 05:21:21 PM »
Yea, I almost got my ass kicked when visiting a friend at a neighboring college. Wandered past some of his frat brothers playing NHL 94 during a party... and proceeded to not give up the controller mostly the entire night. Then once they were good and pissed, I had them pick my team, of course they gave me Ottawa... BUT... the Senators had Jeff Lazaro... I am convinced he was a deliberate easter egg type of deal... like Jeff's cousin worked for EA.... Because despite only having a 50 overall and not even being on the top forward line, Lazaro was one of the fastest players in the game... borderline unstoppable. Even with Peter 'The Sieve' Sidorkiewicz manning the goal.. Lazaro could win you games all by himself.

The real Lazaro only played like 80 NHL games his entire career, and don't think he appeared in any subsequent NHL titles... but he has a claim to game...  Tecmo Bo Jackson and 94 Jeff Lazaro... the two greatest virtual athletes of all time. But anyways... one guy wasn't happy at all losing to the Sens.. ... and after all the Natty Light that had been consumed... things were starting to escalate. I surrendered the controller and went to a different corner of the frat house.