Author Topic: LoC 73 - Top 50 Video Games of the '90s  (Read 28212 times)

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 1185
Re: LoC 73 - Top 50 Video Games of the '90s
« Reply #135 on: August 19, 2013, 10:38:37 AM »
Forgot to write down my list, and I can't seem to access my sent messages folder.  It's totally empty...

Offline Thrifty Version II

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 556
  • Now with 30% Less Fat!
« Reply #136 on: August 19, 2013, 10:42:35 AM »
Forgot to write down my list, and I can't seem to access my sent messages folder.  It's totally empty...
I don't think the forum software saves sent messages by default.

Zombie Monty

« Reply #137 on: August 19, 2013, 10:43:03 AM »
Conker's Bad Fur Day

Really wanted to put this on my list but it came out in 2001.  I actually bought my first Nintendo 64 (used from Gamestop by that time) specifically for this game when it came out.  Fantastic game.

Here is my list:

1. Super Mario World
2. Final Fantasy VII
3. Battletoads
4. Super Star Wars
5. Gunstar Heroes
6. Crazy Taxi
7. Donkey Kong Country
8. Sonic The Hedgehog
9. NBA Jam
10. Parappa The Rapper
11. The Legend Of Zelda - A Link To The Past
12. Star Fox
13. Toejam and Earl
14. Street Fighter II Turbo
15. Super Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back
16. Dr. Mario
17. Metal Slug
18. Mortal Kombat II
19. Bushido Blade
20. Chrono Trigger
21. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
22. Colony Wars
23. Bubble Symphony (Bubble Bobble 2)
24. Dance Dance Revolution
25. Metal Gear Solid

Offline Thrifty Version II

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 556
  • Now with 30% Less Fat!
« Reply #138 on: August 19, 2013, 10:47:31 AM »
Conker's Bad Fur Day

Really wanted to put this on my list but it came out in 2001.

Oops.  My bad.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3748
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #139 on: August 19, 2013, 10:48:44 AM »
N64 games are hard to place for some reason. It feels like they all came out in the '90s. I was convinced that Paper Mario was a '90s game until I double-checked.

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 1185
« Reply #140 on: August 19, 2013, 10:51:01 AM »
Thanks Pacman for sending me my list.

1.  Xenogears
2.  Final Fantasy VI (III in USA)
3.  Chrono Trigger
4.  Super Metroid
5.  The Legend of Zelda:  A Link to the Past
6.  Super Mario World

7.  Seiken Densetsu 2 (Secret of Mana in USA)
8.  Final Fantasy IX
9.  Metal Gear Solid
10.  The Legend of Zelda:  Link's Awakening
11.  The Legend of Zelda:  The Ocarina of Time
12.  Castlevania:  Symphony of the Night
13.  Goldeneye
14.  Super Mario 64

15.  Chrono Cross
16.  Super Smash Brothers
17.  Super Mario Kart 64

18.  Half Life
19.  Sim City (SNES)
20.  Star Trek:  Starfleet Academy (PC)
21.  The Lion King (SNES)
22.  Illusion of Gaia
23.  Conkers Bad Fur Day
24.  Final Fantasy Tactics
25.  Star Fox

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #141 on: August 19, 2013, 11:01:07 AM »
N64 games are hard to place for some reason. It feels like they all came out in the '90s. I was convinced that Paper Mario was a '90s game until I double-checked.

I felt the exact same way. I was somewhat stunned to find that both that game and Majora's Mask were post-millennium games.

Offline ColeStratton

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 315
  • I'm king of the room!
    • SF Sketchfest
« Reply #142 on: August 19, 2013, 12:51:25 PM »
Pretty good list! I leaned heavily on PC games and Nintendo stuff -- I think I'm a bit older than a lot of you, so I was getting out of video games in the mid 90s. Looks like I was the only one who had/cared for Turbo Grafx 16...

1.   Bonk’s Adventure (Turbo Grafix 16)

2.   You Don’t Know Jack (PC)
3.   The Simpsons Arcade Game (Arcade)

4.   The Secret of Monkey Island (PC)
5.   Maniac Mansion II: Day of the Tentacle (PC)
6.   Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES)
7.   Street Fighter II (Arcade)

8.   Commander Keen (PC)

9.   The 7th Guest (PC)

10.   NBA Jam (Super NES)
11.   Sonic the Hedgehog (Sega Genesis)
12.   Gran Turismo (Sony Playstation)
13.   Mario Kart 64 (Nintendo 64)
14.   Earthworm Jim (Super NES)
15.   Mortal Kombat (Arcade)

16.   Bravoman (Turbo Grafx 16)

17.   Clayfighter (Super NES)

18.   Kwirk (Gameboy)

19.   Super Mario 64 (Nintendo 64)
20.   GoldenEye 007 (Nintendo 64)

21.   Terminator 2: Judgement Day (Arcade)

22.   Ecco the Dolphin (Sega Genesis)

23.   Wing Commander (PC)
24.   Star Fox (Super NES)
25.   Duke Nukem (PC)
My website!: www.colestratton.com
My touring group! www.themeparkimprov.com
My comedy fest!: www.sfsketchfest.com
My goodness!

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 937
  • My name is Raphaël Ambrosius Costeau
« Reply #143 on: August 19, 2013, 12:55:05 PM »
10 Shadow of the Colossus - I'm surprised this didn't make it. Or did I just miss it?

2005 isn't in the 90s.

Good point. I don't know what I was thinking...

Actually, yes I do. I few months back on the classic gaming board on GameFAQs, we were doing a list of best classic games, and SotC and Star Control 2 were in the top 10, both of which I nominated. I already had Star Control 2 on this list, so I just automatically put SotC as well.

Offline gojikranz

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 23
  • im baaaack
    • my facebook?
« Reply #144 on: August 20, 2013, 09:23:53 AM »
Fun list glad gun star heroes made it. That game was legendary for us so great.

Cole I spaced on bonks I loved that game to death my bad.

Surprised no command and conquer or age of empires? 

As someone who never played final fantasy or Zelda I think I had a good chunk of games make the list.
Thanks for putting the list on.
MICROPHONE MANIAC COMING SOON!!
Promo Featurette: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vzYR6_-UqE

Offline Charles Castle

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 730
  • I crap bigger than this movie.
« Reply #145 on: August 20, 2013, 04:32:21 PM »
Pretty good list! I leaned heavily on PC games and Nintendo stuff -- I think I'm a bit older than a lot of you, so I was getting out of video games in the mid 90s. Looks like I was the only one who had/cared for Turbo Grafx 16...
I had Gate of Thunder and Lords of Thunder in the running, but they didn't quite make it. Great shooters, though. I totally spaced out and forgot about Ys Book I & II which almost definitely would have made it.
You know, if the space man puma thing turns out to be the correct religion, I for one will be very surprised.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #146 on: August 21, 2013, 08:06:34 PM »
Here come the bonus entries!

BONUS ENTRY–Alien Soldier

(25 Points) 1 of 16 Lists - Highest Ranking – #1 – tejava joe
VISUALSHOCK! SPEEDSHOCK! SOUNDSHOCK! NOW IS TIME TO THE 68000 HEART ON FIRE!

Release Date:  February 24, 1995

Just the facts/Stuff I wiki'd:
Alien Soldier is a side-scrolling run and gun video game developed by Treasure for the Sega Mega Drive. The game was released in Japan and Europe, but not physically in the US (one of the few to be released in this pattern), but it can be rather expensive due to its rarity in either region. The game was playable in America on the Sega Channel cable service and has been reissued for PlayStation 2 as part of the Sega Ages Treasure Box disc.

The game is listed in Guinness World Records Gamers Edition 2010 under the category "Most boss battles in a run and gun game".

Alien Soldier is unique among side-scrolling shooters in that, instead of long levels with several minor enemies before reaching the boss, the levels are notably short and easy before reaching a boss. This results in the game being mostly boss fights. The game has 25 levels and 31 bosses in total, and two difficulty levels, Supereasy and Superhard. The difficulty of the two levels is largely attributable to the lack of continues (and password-based "saving") available in the Superhard game, which is enabled by default.

The top of the screen is dominated by a status bar which gives information about the player current and maximum health, the current and maximum energy of the selected weapon and the current and maximum health of the boss of the stage.

Another feature is that if the player were to be hit by an enemy or projectile that would have been fatal, the player's current health will always be reduced to 1 first. The player will only die if he gets hit thereafter, reducing health from 1 to 0. This, in a way, gives the player a second chance to recover and continue with the game.

Pak's Thoughts – Treasure knows what run and gun fans want. They understood that the long slog toward the boss in those games was just that, and decided to release a game that was pure bossy goodness.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #147 on: August 21, 2013, 08:06:56 PM »
BONUS ENTRY–Xenogears

(25 Points) 1 of 16 Lists - Highest Ranking – #1 – Rainbow Dash
Master, sir, did you just see my MAD SKILLZ?

Release Date:  February 11, 1998

Xenogears is a science-fiction role-playing video game developed and published by Squaresoft (now Square Enix) for Sony's PlayStation. It was released on February 11, 1998 in Japan and on October 20, 1998 in North America.

Xenogears follows protagonist Fei Fong Wong and several others as they journey to uncover the truth behind mysterious, cabalistic entities operating in their world. The principles and philosophies of Friedrich Nietzsche, Sigmund Freud and Carl Jung influence the plot, character design, and world of Xenogears. Additionally, the symbols, theological concepts, and devotional practices of several world religions are represented in fictionalized forms in the game. Major psychological themes are the nature of identity and human memory, particularly as these relate to the phenomenon of dissociative identity disorder. The relationship between humanity and machines is central to the game's plot, as indicated by the presence of giant robots dubbed "gears," which almost each playable character can control.

Overall, Xenogears was well received by critics, with a 91% rating on Game Rankings and a score of 83 out of 100 at Metacritic. Critics in particular praised the storyline with multiple subplots, the gameplay, the characters, the themes (such as Jungian psychology and Roman Catholicism), and the epic nature. It was voted the 16th best video game of all time by readers of Famitsu in 2006. Xenogears has shipped 1.19 million copies worldwide as of March 31, 2003.

Xenogears combines traditional role-playing video game structures such as Square's signature Active Time Battle system with new features particular to the game's martial-arts combat style. It features two slightly different battle systems: in the first the user controls human characters in turn-based combat manipulated through the sequencing of learned combos. The second, making use of "gears," introduces different sets of statistics and abilities for each character. Xenogears features both traditional anime and pre-rendered CGI movie clips by Production I.G to illustrate important plot points.

The player advances the protagonist and his companions through a fully three-dimensional fictional world. There is an overworld map with visitable cities, geographical sites, and other important locations spread out across several continents. A couple of locations encountered throughout the game exist not on the original world map, but in the sky. At first, the party only travels on foot, but is eventually permitted to make use of a variety of vehicles, including their gears and the "sand submarine" Yggdrasil.

Pak's Thoughts – I never gave this one a fair shake, since it looked like one of the many Sci-Fi RPGs square was churning out at the time, but I’m intrigued after writing this up at a game that touches on psychology, philosophy and religion. I might have to give this a download some time…

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #148 on: August 21, 2013, 08:07:12 PM »
BONUS ENTRY–Bonk's Adventure

(25 Points) 1 of 16 Lists - Highest Ranking – #1 – ColeStratton
It’s a real head banger!

Release Date:  1989-1990

Bonk's Adventure is a 2D platform video game developed by Red Company and Atlus that was released in 1989-1990 for the TurboGrafx-16. In Japan it was released as PC Genjin  in 1989, a play on the Japanese name for the system, 'PC Engine'. The game was re-released for the TurboGrafx-16 in the U.S. in 1992 on the Gate of Thunder 4-in-1 game CD-ROM. The game was later ported to the NES, Game Boy, Amiga, arcade systems under different titles (FC Genjin, GB Genjin and BC Genjin).

The game's protagonist is Bonk, a strong caveboy who battles anthropomorphic dinosaurs and other prehistoric themed enemies. Bonk's mission is to rescue Princess Za (a small pink Pleisiosaur-type reptile) who has been kidnapped by the evil King Drool (a large, green, Tyrannosaurus-type dinosaur). In the Arcade version, Bonk is also assisted by a female version of himself.

Bonk attacks enemies by "bonking" them with his large, invincible forehead. Bonk starts the game with three hearts' worth of health, which are depleted to blue as Bonk takes damage, and three extra lives. Bonk's health can be restored in increments by collecting fruits and vegetables.

Bonk can also collect pieces of meat as power-ups; these lend him special abilities and make him stronger. There are three stages of power-up: his normal self, a second stage during which he can stun enemies by pounding on the ground, and a third stage where he becomes temporarily invulnerable. Meat can be found in two varieties: big meat and small meat. The effects of meat are additive but wear off over time. A small meat gives Bonk the second stage of meat power but will eventually decay into the first stage of meat power, and then back into regular Bonk. Eating a small meat while in stage two will put Bonk into the third, invincible stage of meat power. And eating either size of meat while in the third stage of meat power-up will reset the timer on Bonk's meat power.

Bonk can occasionally collect red heart power-ups that refill an entire heart worth of health, or even more rarely, a large red heart, which restores all of Bonk's missing health. There are also two rare, blue heart power-ups in the game which will increase Bonk's maximum health by one heart.

Bonking an enemy will typically knock it backward and slightly into the air. Defeating an enemy yields points and also releases a small "smiley" power-up. Bonk's smileys are totaled at the end of each stage after defeating the boss of that stage. The player is given additional points and a caveman type congratulation based on how many smileys were collected.

Pak's Thoughts – During the great console wars, I stood loyally by Nintendo, but I always looked with a bit of envy at the Turbografix 16’s Bonk’s Adventure. I finally got to play it decades later on the Wii’s Virtual Console and I wasn’t disappointed. The bonking mechanic is a blast, the power-ups are awesome, and Bonk’s animations are great.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #149 on: August 21, 2013, 08:09:14 PM »
BONUS ENTRY–Sim City 2000

(25 Points) 1 of 16 Lists - Highest Ranking – #1 – goflyblind
We don’t know if it thinks it’s being friendly or what, but it sure is making a mess of downtown!

Release Date:  1994

SimCity 2000 (SC2K) is a city-building simulation video game and the second installment in the SimCity series. SimCity 2000 was first released by Maxis in 1994 for computers running Apple Macintosh Operating System. It was later released on the Amiga, DOS & Microsoft Windows, followed by a release for OS/2.[1] In 1995, SimCity 2000 won "Best Military or Strategy Computer Game" Origins Award.

The unexpected and enduring success of the original SimCity, combined with the relative lack of success with other "Sim" titles, finally motivated the development of a sequel. SimCity 2000 was a major extension of the concept; the view was now dimetric instead of overhead, land could have different elevations, and underground layers were introduced for water pipes and subways.

New types of facilities include prisons, schools, libraries, museums, marinas, hospitals and arcologies. Players can build highways, roads, bus depots, railway tracks, subways, train depots and zone land for seaports and airports. There are a total of nine varieties of power plants in SimCity 2000, including coal, oil, natural gas, nuclear, wind turbines, hydroelectric dams (which can only be placed on waterfall tiles), solar and the futuristic fusion power and satellite microwave plant. Most types of power plants have a limited life span and must be rebuilt periodically. Players can build highways to neighboring cities to increase trade and the population.

The budget and finance controls are also much more elaborate—tax rates can be set individually for residential, commercial and industrial zones. Enacting city ordinances and connecting to neighboring cities became possible. The budget controls are very important in running the city effectively.

Another new addition in SimCity 2000 is the query tool. Using the query tool on tiles reveals information such as structure name and type, altitude, and land value. Certain tiles also display additional information; power plants, for example, display the percentage of power being consumed when queried, and querying roads displays the amount of traffic on that tile. Querying a library and selecting "Ruminate" displays an essay written by Neil Gaiman.

Graphics were added for buildings under construction in the residential, commercial, and industrial zones, as well as darkened buildings depicting abandoned buildings as a result of urban decay.

News comes in the form of several pre-written newspaper articles with variable names that could either be called up immediately or could be subscribed to on a yearly basis. The newspaper option provided many humorous stories as well as relevant ones, such as new technology, warnings about aging power plants, recent disasters and opinion polls (highlighting city problems). SimCity 2000 is the only game in the entire series to have this feature (besides the discontinued children's version, SimTown), though newer versions have a news ticker. The newspapers had random titles (Times, Post, Herald, etc.), and prices based on the simulated year. Certain newspapers have a special monthly humor advice column by "Miss Sim". Some headlines have no purpose whatsoever in the game, such as "Bald Radio Found" or "Frog Convention".

Though there is no "true" victory sequence in SimCity 2000, the "exodus" is a close parallel. An "exodus" occurs during the year 2051 or later, when 300 or more Launch Arcologies are constructed; the following January each one "takes off" into space so that their inhabitants can form new civilizations on distant worlds. This reduces the city's population to those who are not living in the Launch Arcologies, but it also opens wide areas for redevelopment and returns their construction cost to the city treasury. This is related to the event in SimEarth where all cities are moved into rocket-propelled domes that then leave to "found new worlds" (leaving no sentient life behind).

The game also included several playable scenarios, in which the player must deal with a disaster (in most, but not all scenarios) and rebuild the city to meet a set of victory conditions. These were based in versions of real-life cities, and some were based on real events such as the Oakland firestorm of 1991, the 1989 Hurricane Hugo in Charleston, South Carolina, or dealing with the 1970s economic recession in Flint, Michigan—but also included more fanciful ones such as a "monster" destroying Hollywood in 2001. More scenarios added with the SCURK included a nuclear meltdown in Manhattan in 2007.

Pak's Thoughts – Every Sim City fan has their own opinion of when the series reached its peak, and a strong argument can be made for Sim City 2000. The graphics were nice, the Simulation was light enough to be fun, but real enough