login

Author Topic: Recommendations for PS3  (Read 4600 times)

Offline Raven

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 177
  • Nevermore...
Recommendations for PS3
« on: March 17, 2007, 12:09:20 PM »
My PS2 started to take a crap this week and I'm seriously considering getting a PS3 instead of replacing it with another PS2.  I plan on getting a PS3 eventually.  Just curious if there are any must haves.  I'm really interested in the new Def Jam game if anyone has any thoughts on it. 

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
Re: Recommendations for PS3
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2007, 12:20:46 PM »
ill tell you in 2 months when i get mine :)

Leopold_Stotch

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2007, 01:11:37 PM »
Get a premium 360 instead, that actually has some freaking games and is $200 cheaper.

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 850
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2007, 01:20:05 PM »
Resistance is supposed to be the poop! Virtua Fighter 5 might make get one because I have always liked that game.

Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

• Compsognathus
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2007, 01:35:52 PM »
yeah i cant wait for vf5 that game looks great. 

Leopold_Stotch

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2007, 01:59:49 PM »
Resistance is supposed to be the poop! Virtua Fighter 5 might make get one because I have always liked that game.
Yeah, it's the poop alright! ;D

• Compsognathus
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2007, 02:10:50 PM »
quit raining on our parade man, you dont see us slamming xbox in your thread.  Virtua fighter is a bad ass fighter with actual gameplay depth. 

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2007, 03:06:12 PM »
Get a premium 360 instead, that actually has some freaking games and is $200 cheaper.

It sure didn't have any games I wanted when it launched. A bunch of ports that really weren't much better than regular X-box.  Ps3 will be the same way.
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Leopold_Stotch

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2007, 05:05:18 PM »
It sure didn't have any games I wanted when it launched. A bunch of ports that really weren't much better than regular X-box.  Ps3 will be the same way.
The 360 has got all the games. If you really want to waste $600, please feel free to buy a POS3. But if you take your gaming seriously and you want to have fun without spending 2 months of your income, buy a 360. You won't have any fun with the PS3 anyways since it has no games and it won't!
Let me give you a brief rundown of what is already available for the PS3 and why it isn't worth it
Motorstorm - Already done before in other, better games like Burnout: revenge or Takedown
Def Jam icon - Reviews have been none too good, besides it's already on the 360
Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - Already on the 360 and will therefore go down in price quicker than the PISS3 version
Resistance: Fall of man - Not fun, no better than your average First person shooter. I easily and highly recommend the original Perfect Dark over this... hell I even recommend the original DOOM over this!!!!
And let me tell you, every gamer I have talked to, PS3 owners as well have NOT been happy, impressed or enthused with their purchases!
Virtua Fighter 5 - Virtua Fighter is a great game... but if you want an experience that is just as good, please either get the PS2 Virtua Fighter 4 or the version for the Dreamcast. Those are just as good in terms of gameplay! If any of you are serious gamers like me you will always take gameplay over graphics. And... let's face it the PS3 doesn't look THAT good.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 05:15:59 PM by Leopold_Stotch »

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2007, 05:31:45 PM »
The 360 has got all the games.

Yes they do since it was released in 2005. Wasn't squat for me at launch.

If you really want to waste $600, please feel free to buy a POS3. But if you take your gaming seriously and you want to have fun without spending 2 months of your income, buy a 360. You won't have any fun with the PS3 anyways since it has no games and it won't!

This is pretty funny. Yeah there won't be any games available for the PS3.. ::)

Let me give you a brief rundown of what is already available for the PS3 and why it isn't worth it
Motorstorm - Already done before in other, better games like Burnout: revenge or Takedown
Def Jam icon - Reviews have been none too good, besides it's already on the 360
Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - Already on the 360 and will therefore go down in price quicker than the PISS3 version
Resistance: Fall of man - Not fun, no better than your average First person shooter. I easily and highly recommend the original Perfect Dark over this... hell I even recommend the original DOOM over this!!!!

See above where I said that the X-box had nothing for me at launch.... ::)

And let me tell you, every gamer I have talked to, PS3 owners as well have NOT been happy, impressed or enthused with their purchases!
Virtua Fighter 5 - Virtua Fighter is a great game... but if you want an experience that is just as good, please either get the PS2 Virtua Fighter 4 or the version for the Dreamcast. Those are just as good in terms of gameplay! If any of you are serious gamers like me you will always take gameplay over graphics. And... let's face it the PS3 doesn't look THAT good.

You are pretty funny. Seriously what do you care what game systems people like?  Calling yourself a "serious gamer" is pretty telling.  They are just games after all... I wouldn't call myself a "serious gamer" as I have way to many Rifftrax and MST3K episodes to watch, BUT I have owned pretty much every console over the years because invariably there will be a game that is only on one system.  The only way to have the best system is to have ALL the systems....

BTW since I had a 360 (fall 2006) it had to be replaced twice.......

« Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 06:14:21 PM by MrTorso »

Offline Raven

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 177
  • Nevermore...
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2007, 06:50:19 PM »

I swore off microsoft products when I learned the original xbox made you purchase a seperate remote to watch dvd's on it.  And last time I checked I couldn't play any of my Final Fantasy games for the PS, or any of my PS2 games on the 360 (not to mention, most xbox games)  Maybe you didn't read my question.  My friends have 360 and the only and I mean only game I'm even remotely interested in is Gears of War.  That's it.  I think I'll be fine when the titles I'm waiting for come out.  I'll be playing the second Mercenaries game the day it comes out.  Just wanted to know if there were any PLAYSTATION 3 GAMES OUT NOW THAT WERE ANY GOOD.  Not a microsoft rant shoved down my throat.  I hate the Xbox controllers and the only way I'm getting a 360 is if I'm willed one.  Now if you have a real answer to my question I'd be happy to listen.  If not, shut the hell up.  Now back to playing God of War 2.  (Hey you should get this one for the 360.  It's outstanding.  Oh wait, I forgot, you can't)

Leopold_Stotch

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2007, 07:45:38 PM »
This is pretty funny. Yeah there won't be any games available for the PS3.. ::)
You are pretty funny. Seriously what do you care what game systems people like?  Calling yourself a "serious gamer" is pretty telling.  They are just games after all... I wouldn't call myself a "serious gamer" as I have way to many Rifftrax and MST3K episodes to watch, BUT I have owned pretty much every console over the years because invariably there will be a game that is only on one system.  The only way to have the best system is to have ALL the systems....BTW since I had a 360 (fall 2006) it had to be replaced twice.......
I have seen first hand what a piece of shit the Playstation 3 is. Ever since May of last year when I saw the specs of the PS3 and the pompossity of sony, I have sworn to discourage as many people as possible from buying it. If it's such a great system, why isn't it selling? And NO, there is nothing remotely interesting coming out on the PS3 in the future that warrants spending +$600. Like I said, if you want to waste your hard earned money be my guest. I also find it hard to believe you had to replace your 360 twice unless you did something to the system regaurding the ventilation or putting that damn unlicensed intercooler on the back of it. Besides, Microsoft is refunding all the charges anyone had to pay for repairs. Once you're done buying the PS3 and a few games you've spent damn near $1000, that is insane. That's all I have to say.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 07:47:52 PM by Leopold_Stotch »

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2007, 09:20:06 PM »
I have seen first hand what a piece of shit the Playstation 3 is. Ever since May of last year when I saw the specs of the PS3 and the pompossity of sony, I have sworn to discourage as many people as possible from buying it.

Sworn to who?? Dude, your Sony rage is awesome.   

If it's such a great system, why isn't it selling? And NO, there is nothing remotely interesting coming out on the PS3 in the future that warrants spending +$600.

To YOU maybe. 

I am quite certain that there are plenty of games that you as a "serious gamer"  would call a piece of crap that I would enjoy. Different strokes for different folks.

Like I said, if you want to waste your hard earned money be my guest. I also find it hard to believe you had to replace your 360 twice unless you did something to the system regaurding the ventilation or putting that damn unlicensed intercooler on the back of it. Besides, Microsoft is refunding all the charges anyone had to pay for repairs.

And Micro$oft actually having to give money back doesn't give you a clue about how many broke-ass 360s were out there? So as long as they are willing to pay for it, it is ok for shoddy/flawed/defective products to be sold? So what if M$ paid for it. I would rather be playing games then waste my time having to ship things back to the manufacturer for repairs.

Once you're done buying the PS3 and a few games you've spent damn near $1000, that is insane. That's all I have to say.

Then I guess you aren't the "serious gamer" you say you are.   If there is a game I want to play on a system then I will buy that system plain and simple.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 09:22:02 PM by MrTorso »

Offline Steve-O

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 56
    • The Incomparable
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2007, 09:22:08 PM »
I swore off microsoft products when I learned the original xbox made you purchase a seperate remote to watch dvd's on it.

There are scads of very good reasons to swear off Microsoft, but this isn't one of them.  Any DVD reseller has to pay a licensing fee in order to sell a DVD player.  Naturally, they pass this cost on to the consumer.  MS had the choice to either force the DVD feature on every Xbox buyer, or allow purchasers to decide whether they wanted the feature -- and the extra cost -- for themselves.  A surprisingly consumer-friendly move on Redmond's part, really.

As for PS3 games, I've heard terrific press for Resistance and VF5, and mostly positive stuff about MotorStorm.  That's about it.  Some of the ports are getting good reviews, but only marginally better than on other platforms.  Most of the good stuff is still a few months off.

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2007, 09:26:53 PM »

There are scads of very good reasons to swear off Microsoft, but this isn't one of them.  Any DVD reseller has to pay a licensing fee in order to sell a DVD player.  Naturally, they pass this cost on to the consumer.  MS had the choice to either force the DVD feature on every Xbox buyer, or allow purchasers to decide whether they wanted the feature -- and the extra cost -- for themselves.  A surprisingly consumer-friendly move on Redmond's part, really.

That is true. I have never wanted to use a game machine as a DVD player. I am always paranoid about wearing them out. I have had at least 7 dvd players since 1997.  I would have been mad at M$ if the X-box price went up to pay for DVD functionality out of the box.