login

Author Topic: Quiz game! 25 "that guy" actors.  (Read 3512 times)

Offline Thrifty Version II

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 556
  • Now with 30% Less Fat!
Re: Quiz game! 25 "that guy" actors.
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2013, 08:23:40 PM »
I only know Bruce Davidson from watching the documentary "that guy... who was in that thing" about this very same topic.  I'm pretty sure he was the only one that's on your particular list.  It was an interesting watch.

link
I saw that documentary too.  It was part of what inspired me to make this.  But they went super obscure for that.  Except for Bruce and Stanley Kamel, I couldn't even identify these guys by a role.

• Big Montana
  • Now with 30% Less Fat!
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2013, 08:27:34 PM »
pretty sure i could say "law & order" and be right for about three-quarters of them.
Number 23 appeared on a few episodes of Law and Order during the early Sam Waterson years as a defense attorney.  Sunday morning, I saw him on a season 19 or 20 episode playing a doctor who presided over some executions.  I always wonder how the minds of the characters work in situations like this.  If I saw one guy, and then a while later I saw a completely different guy with a different name, background, and job.... but the exact same physical appearance.... I would be extremely confused.  TV characters never seem to mind.

Offline Charles Castle

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 515
  • I crap bigger than this movie.
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2013, 09:06:38 PM »
1. Beth Grant
2. Stephen Tobolowsky
3. Bruce Davison
5. John Michael Higgins
6. That guy. Todd Packer on The Office, among other stuff.
7. That woman from Kindergarten Cop.
8. Bruce McGill
9. Carol Kane
10. Christopher Mcdonald
11. Miguel Ferrer - I quote his character from Twin Peaks, Albert Rosenfield, on a regular basis.
12. Happy Gilmore's grandma.
14. Steve Buscemi
15. JK Simmons
16. Dylan Baker
17. Lane Smith
20. Gary Cole
21. Stephen Root - What are you objectifying on?
22. Philip Baker Hall (!!!!!!)
25. Patricia Clarkson

I love a lot of these people.
You know, if the space man puma thing turns out to be the correct religion, I for one will be very surprised.

Offline Raven

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 177
  • Nevermore...
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2013, 01:00:44 AM »
I only know Bruce Davidson from watching the documentary "that guy... who was in that thing" about this very same topic.  I'm pretty sure he was the only one that's on your particular list.  It was an interesting watch.

link
I saw that documentary too.  It was part of what inspired me to make this.  But they went super obscure for that.  Except for Bruce and Stanley Kamel, I couldn't even identify these guys by a role.

I actually knew all of them(by role anyway) with the exception of the lone black guy.

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2013, 05:54:19 PM »
Number 12, Happy Gilmore's grandma.  She has a name.  Its Frances Bay.  I believe she's Michael Bay's mother.

I kid.  But I know this because she was on the TV show Hunter.  My mom was obsessed with Hunter.
Opticians are easy on the eyes

• Big Montana
  • Now with 30% Less Fat!
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2013, 05:22:35 PM »
Answer time!

Charles Hussein Castle got the most.  Here they are, with my answers to how I remember them best.

1 -- Beth Grant.  I usually remember her from a lot, most notably Gracie Leigh from Jericho.
2 -- Stephen Tobolowsky.  I always think of him as Ned Ryerson from Groundhog Day, which is arguably his most famous role.
3 -- Bruce Davison.  I best remember him as one of the attorneys in an early 90s adaptation of Inherit The Wind, and also he had a recurring role on Seinfeld as head of the foundation set up in Susan's name.
4 -- Troy Evans.  He had a supporting role in that mid-90s Michael J. Fox movie The Frighteners.  I think he was also a regular on ER for a few seasons.
5 -- John Michael Higgins.  First time I saw him was as the competent lawyer in Arrested Development, but I see him everywhere.
6 -- David Koechner.  My favorite role of his was as Nathan, the obnoxious neighbor in Extract.
7 -- Pamela Reed.  Played Jake's mom in Jericho.
8 -- Bruce McGill.  I see him a lot.  First time I remember was in both the first and last episodes of Quantum Leap.  His role in the last episode was much bigger.
9 -- Carol Kane.  She was the Ghost of Christmas Present in Scrooged.
10 -- Christopher McDonald.  He always seems to find his niche playing douchebag characters.  I hate to say that I best remember his role as Shooter McGavin in Happy Gilmore.
11 -- Miguel Ferrer.  I didn't know until I compiled this list that he was Hispanic.  Best remember him as Lloyd in The Stand.
12 -- Frances Bay.  I remember she was in an episode of Seinfeld that involved Jerry stealing the last marble rye from a bakery from her.
13 -- Victor Garber.  Only thing I can remember him from off the top of my head is playing a guy named Callahan in Legally Blonde.
14 -- Steve Buscemi.  Easy one.  Favorite role was as Donny in The Big Lebowski.
15 -- J.K. Simmons.  I first saw this guy playing the sinister Vern Schillinger on Oz back in 2004.  Then I started to notice him everywhere.  Unlike a lot of these guys, Simmons doesn't do irregular piecemeal work.  He gets a lot of regular supporting actor roles on TV shows.
16 -- Dylan Baker.  I see him a lot, but I remember he was in one of the Spiderman movies.
17 -- Lane Smith.  Always remember him as Perry White from the mid-90s Superman show Lois and Clark.
18 -- Kurt Fuller.  Very prolific, I remember him as being the sidekick of Benjamin, Rob Lowe's character in Wayne's World.
19 -- Tim Bagley.  I'm constantly forgetting his name, but his best role to me is as Monk's rival Harold Crenshaw on Monk.
20 -- Gary Cole.  Bill Lumbergh of course.
21 -- Stephen Root.  First role I saw him in was my favorite, boss man Jimmy James on Newsradio.
22 -- Phillip Baker Hall.  I always think of him as Russ, the big boss from the short lived Fox sitcom The Loop.
23 -- James Rebhorn.  I see this guy everywhere, but I think I best remember him for playing some high up White House staffer on Independence Day.
24 -- Kathryn Joosten.  I always think of her as the old lady who chose to die of kidney failure on an early episode of Scrubs.
25 -- Patricia Clarkson.  Tammy One from Parks and Recreation.