Author Topic: Wireless Routers  (Read 1734 times)

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 232
Re: Wireless Routers
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2019, 06:02:54 PM »
Finally ordered a cable modem. Should arrive by this weekend. Really I interested to see if I see any speed improvements, but even if I don't it'll pay for itself in less than a year by reducing my ISP costs every month.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2019, 01:06:18 PM »
Getting just a hair faster speeds with the new cable modem, but nothing to really get excited about (didn't really have a speed issue to begin with- just wanted to stop paying the cable company the cable medem rental fee- download speeds might be an issue if I was trying to stream 4K netflix, but I don't have a 4K TV and 1080p video streams just fine).

Since I had to go to the Spectrum store to return my cable modem, I also traded in our old cable DVR for a new one (I'm to the point where I'd drop TV from our service, but I haven't convinced the wife yet). Was dreading having to set up the remote control again to work with the updated DVR, but then I remembered my Logitech Harmony 650 remote can easily be programmed using their windows program and a laptop. Took longer to download and install their program then it did to reprogram the remote.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2454
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2019, 07:03:50 PM »
A new modem will only improve your speed if the old one didn't have enough channels for the speed tier you were on, but it sounds like you are on a plan that even an old 4 channel modem could handle.

Once I upgrade my TV I'll be trying out 4K streaming, I've now upgraded everything else, roku, fireTV, blu-ray player, A/V receiver, cables.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2019, 09:05:18 PM »
While it wasn't my reason for visiting Spectrum today, I'm actually digging the new cable DVR a lot more than I was expecting. It's much quicker at switching channels and the picture quality seems better and the "videos on demand" start a lot quicker. Still really glad that I have the Logitech remote though because the remote that they gave me (while better than the remote for the old box) is still terrible. New DVR doesn't have a clock though. Found a alarm clock that never worked worth a damn as an alarm clock that I added to my entertainment center. Never realized how much I depended on that DVR clock until it was gone.