login

Author Topic: 'The Simpsons,' 'Family Guy' doing crossover episode  (Read 6143 times)

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 988
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
'The Simpsons,' 'Family Guy' doing crossover episode
« on: July 18, 2013, 12:39:54 PM »
Oh, this will not end well. From Entertainment Weekly:

The Simpsons are going to spend some quality time with the Griffins: In a crossover episode titled “The Simpsons Guy,” Homer & Co. will be featured in an episode of Family Guy, EW has learned.

Simpsons castmembers Dan Castellaneta, Julie Kavner, Nancy Cartwright, Yeardley Smith and Hank Azaria will lend their voices to the installment, in which Peter and the rest of the Griffins embark on a road trip and wind up in Springfield. There, they cross paths with Homer, who graciously greets his new “albino” visitors, and the two families become fast friends. Stewie is impressed with Bart and his assortment of pranks, Lisa tries to figure out exactly what it is that she’s good at, and Marge and Lois do some bonding. Meanwhile, Peter and Homer argue over which beer is better: Pawtucket or Duff.

While the two animated Fox comedies, which both air on Sunday night, have taken shots at each other over the years, the rivalry has grown friendlier more recently. Castellaneta had a one-line voice cameo in an October 2012 episode of Family Guy, and back in May, Family Guy creator Seth MacFarlane had a prominent guest role on The Simpsons‘ season 24 finale.

“FOX hasn’t spent this much money since they took Simon Cowell tight T-shirt shopping,” said Peter in a statement, while Homer added: “Finally I can get my hands on this guy!”

Let the teeth begin gnashing.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 01:51:23 PM by Compound »

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3176
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
Re: 'The Simpsons,' 'Family Guy' doing crossover episode
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 01:10:24 PM »
It's like if someone said, "We've found a way to put all the spicy flavor of a buffalo wing into an ice cream bar!

I like both of these things a lot, but my brain can't concieve of a way they'd work well together.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 01:18:49 PM »
And the makers of Rule 34 pictures rejoice.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 01:58:29 PM »
It's like if someone said, "We've found a way to put all the spicy flavor of a buffalo wing into an ice cream bar!

I like both of these things a lot, but my brain can't concieve of a way they'd work well together.

Sadly others can...

Only one of those was a joke. (And there is a chicken wing flavored ice cream sold in Japan, because, well, it's Japan.)

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 02:04:03 PM »
Oh, BTW, I found a recipe:

Buffalo Wing: I am only telling you how to make this so you never ever ever do it. Cream about 1/3 cup sugar with 1/3 cup butter. Add enough Frank’s Hot Sauce until it tastes like buffalo sauce. Combine with 1c cream, 1c milk. Add bits of blue cheese when it’s almost done in the machine.

I mean, it does taste like buffalo wings, but there’s a time and a place for that flavor, and I’m not sure it’s in ice cream. I am not tough enough to mix in the celery I bought.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3176
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2013, 02:06:42 PM »
Ah. I was right. My reaction to this information is exactly like my reaction to the Family Guy/Simpsons crossover. :^)

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 1185
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2013, 03:43:34 PM »
Simpson's must have finally fell below that threshold where' it's as bad as Family Guy.

Sad days my friends. 

Offline Thrifty Version II

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 556
  • Now with 30% Less Fat!
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2013, 04:52:08 PM »
*heart explodes with rage*

Offline Thrifty Version II

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 556
  • Now with 30% Less Fat!
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2013, 04:52:44 PM »
Simpson's must have finally fell below that threshold where' it's as bad as Family Guy.

Sad days my friends.
The Simpsons is usually pretty funny, and not bogged down by endless cutaway gags and awful author filibusters.

Offline doggans

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 453
  • w00tstock Photobomb is TEARING Zombie Wiseau APAHT
    • doggans.com
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2013, 05:01:19 PM »
The good news is, it seems this will just be a Family Guy episode set in Springfield, which isn't that out-of-place a thing for Family Guy to do, so Simpsons fans should have no trouble ignoring it if they want.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5132
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2013, 08:31:37 PM »
Yeah, I'm not expecting it to be great, outside of perhaps a few funny observations about each other's shows (after all, Family Guy often makes jokes about their own reliance on cutaways), but it doesn't bother as much.  As for quality, they are both pretty weak these days.  That's a shame because on occasion both can be surprisingly good (Family Guy can be good rather than hit or miss in the rare episodes it experiments, like in that Brian/Stewie bottle episode and the 23rd season of Simpsons had 2 SHOCKINGLY strong episodes) but this past season both have been running on fumes.

But it doesn't bother me.  That said, these aren't characters I'm really interested in seeing interact.  Yes there are contrasts, but I can't imagine chemistry.

So that brings me to the question... which TV shows would be perfect for crossovers?

Offline The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4462
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2013, 08:35:26 PM »
Sliders almost had crossovers with Quantum Leap on several occasions.  Episodes were even pitched.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2013, 08:38:07 PM »
I'd be even more interested in the Quantum Leap/Magnum PI that was in the planning stages.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 11:09:13 PM by Johnny Unusual »

Offline Raven

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 177
  • Nevermore...
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2013, 10:04:44 PM »
They should just bring Quantom Leap back and put Sam in a new show each week. 

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2013, 11:10:47 PM »
They should just bring Quantom Leap back and put Sam in a new show each week.

This.  Forever.

First up, Breaking Bad.  He's Saul (didn't see that coming, huh?)