Author Topic: General Game News  (Read 184840 times)

Offline CJones

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked:
Re: General Game News
« Reply #2010 on: September 03, 2017, 09:41:56 AM »
Have you guys heard of AM2R? (Another Metroid 2 Remake). One guy in Argentina spent ten years making this game. He finally finished it August of last year, and made it live to be downloaded, only to have Nintendo's lawyers contact him the very next day with a cease and desist order.

But this is the Internet. Once something gets out, it's out for all time. I've played it, and it is vastly superior to the original, and I'm not just talking about graphics. Many people suspect that the reason Nintendo was so intent on taking this down ASAP was because they already had they're own Metroid 2 remake in the works.   

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #2011 on: September 03, 2017, 05:24:31 PM »
Many people suspect that the reason Nintendo was so intent on taking this down ASAP was because they already had they're own Metroid 2 remake in the works.   

Nintendo are (rightly) very protective of their IP. I'm sure they'd have taken it down either way.
FINE

Offline Iron Curtain

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked:
    • My website full o' stuff.
« Reply #2012 on: September 04, 2017, 05:51:41 AM »
Worse comes to worse, The makers of the fan remake of Metroid 2 could change the storyline and assets to something original and then they could release it as something commercial. Games that were originally fan games or sequels or mods thereto were crowdfunded and made popular, e.g. Undertale (of Earthbound/Mother 2) and Freedom Planet (or Sonic the Hedgehog). I'm sure they could make an original game and it would turn out to be a decent Metroidvania…

Offline CJones

• Liked:
« Reply #2013 on: September 04, 2017, 07:55:59 AM »
Many people suspect that the reason Nintendo was so intent on taking this down ASAP was because they already had they're own Metroid 2 remake in the works.   

Nintendo are (rightly) very protective of their IP. I'm sure they'd have taken it down either way.

Yes, but within 24 hours?

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #2014 on: September 04, 2017, 04:46:39 PM »

I'm not sure I understand - Why wouldn't they do it as soon as they heard about it?
FINE

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked:
« Reply #2015 on: September 04, 2017, 07:15:09 PM »

I'm not sure I understand - Why wouldn't they do it as soon as they heard about it?

It's a fair point.  The game has been in development for 10 years.  Pretty safe to assume that someone working at Nintendo might have stumbled across it within that time and made a point to keep tabs on its release.  But they waited until its release to shut it down, where other fan projects have been shut down much earlier.  In my opinion Nintendo did just enough to legally protect their copyright, but still let the game be dispersed online.  Rather nice of them if you look at it in that light.

Offline Blasarius Yonder

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked:
« Reply #2016 on: September 30, 2017, 01:02:14 PM »
Looking forward to the re-re-release of Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen on PS4/XB1 in a few days. 
It's one of my all-time favorite games, and I'm going to try it out on both consoles to see how it looks and plays.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked:
« Reply #2017 on: October 05, 2017, 10:00:38 AM »
RPS gave Shadow of War a pretty good review. Might have to pick it up, as the origonal was quite a lot of fun.

Offline CJones

• Liked:
« Reply #2018 on: October 05, 2017, 11:26:59 AM »
Looking forward to the re-re-release of Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen on PS4/XB1 in a few days. 
It's one of my all-time favorite games, and I'm going to try it out on both consoles to see how it looks and plays.

This is a game that I've tried to get into since the PC release, but never really could. Maybe because my RPGing days are behind me. But also, in part, because the NPCs are so ****ing annoying. "I'm familiar with this area", yeah I know you do Heather, we all see the same thing you do.

I really should give it another try.

Online The Lurker

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked:
« Reply #2019 on: Today at 02:47:40 PM »
Hey, @Pak-Man...

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #2020 on: Today at 03:07:30 PM »
Oooh. That looks so awesome. If only there were arcades to put it in. If I ever find one, I'll be willing to drop $20 worth of quarters to see the ending.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• Tells No Tales
  • Liked:
  • Now you're playing with power!
« Reply #2021 on: Today at 04:39:25 PM »
I miss arcades.  The only one left in my town is a bitty one in the movie theatre.  And I guess the bowling ally outside of town.