login

Author Topic: WOOOO! I just beat ________!!!!!  (Read 105884 times)

Offline Russoguru

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 844
  • Define lunch or be disintegrated!
Re: WOOOO! I just beat ________!!!!!
« Reply #750 on: March 17, 2020, 08:48:32 PM »
Okay... I beat a bunch of Castlevania games in the past two days... but in all fairness and full disclosure, I did it by being a cheating motherfucker, but I only used techniques that were put in place in the games by the programmers.

For example, I beat Castlevania: Bloodlines, Castlevania The Adventure, Castlevania 2: Belmont's Revenge by using save states. Basically, I just exploited the hell out of the save state feature. Yeah, I know, I'm a cheating SOB, but at least I'm an honest, cheating SOB.

Offline CJones

• Liked: 916
  • My name is RaphaĆ«l Ambrosius Costeau
« Reply #751 on: March 22, 2020, 12:45:14 PM »
Hades!

Actually this was a few days ago. And by "beat" I mean I beat the current final boss. Still plenty to do, and the game isn't actually finished yet so it currently has no real end. Won with the Talos Twin Fists, much to my surprise. Mainly it was due to getting a Heroic Athena's Call, and then getting that up to like level 7 or 8. I had like 5 seconds of invincibility with each Call, which was insane. Between that and Athena's Dash, I was able to stay invulnerable most of the time during the Hades fight.

I have yet to win a second time. I had a really good Neptune Sword run with Aphrodite's Cast and Chaos's double Cast damage. Cast cast cast, knock the stones free, repeat until dead. And I also almost won a couple days ago with the Chiron Bow and a crap load of Hangover (poison) damage on the special. Last night I had what I thought was going to be a really good Hades Spear run. Doom on both attack and special, the upgrade that lets the spear bounce around multiple targets and +70% doom damage. But I choked in the Temple.

Offline linszoid

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 548
« Reply #752 on: March 27, 2020, 01:12:04 PM »
Dragon Quest 11

I finally went through and beat the whole thing. Fantastic game. Now I need to buy it for the Switch and play the 2d mode!

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3693
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #753 on: April 20, 2020, 02:12:21 PM »
I have conquered Link's Awakening to my satisfaction. Every heart piece, all 50 shells, every tool. I still have some non-reward challenges in the dungeon maker I could take on and some tablets for those dungeons I could find if I ever get the itch to play more, but I'm good for now.

Offline stethacantus

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 189
« Reply #754 on: April 21, 2020, 01:37:43 PM »
This doesn't exactly count as completing a game, but it sort of unintentionally is. I finally achieved getting Grand Theft Auto IV to work on the current version of Windows 10!

Okay, here's the back story. During the early 00s I had a friend who owned Playstation 2. He had a couple of games I liked a lot that were unavailable on any Nintendo system,  GTA IV and Stranglehold. In the past couple of years I contemplated buying a PS2 just for those two games. But then realized how expensive that system still was, along with how expensive the two games were. Option #2, get the XBox they were released on, also expensive.  But then another friend pointed out these games were also released on the PC. Something I had never considered because my memories of PC games was during the late 80s through early 90s where their graphics and performance was far less than the bar set by the NES, and continued to fall behind with the arrival of the Sega and SNES. So I  completely dismissed PC versions of any game as unequal to the console counterparts.  That is until I shown how current PCs are capable of replicating the latest PS/XBox/Nintendo games in full. The only reason to buy a console today is to buy exclusive games like the Zelda franchise.

Except for one problem.  Games are designed to work on specific OS. Something that worked on the Windows XP probably doesn't work on Windows 10. Even Windows updates often renders games unplayable.  It is up to the game publishers to offer downloadable patches,  but often a game that has been around for a while has no support.  So I  had no idea if the games I wanted worked on Windows 10. I  did know they worked on Windows XP.  I even bought Stranglehold a couple of years back for my PC, but just didn't have the needed memory for downloading it. And before I had the chance to remove all the video and audio files taking up that memory,  a virus crashed my PC so bad it was repairable. I got a replacement,  but without XP. I  had the option of erasing the operating system and uploading XP, but that would be nuts. I contemplated trying to fix my old PC just to run the XP and XP compatible programs on it, but it couldn't be done. Last November I decided to try loading Stranglehold onto my new PC, and it so far works on Windows 10. Someone got me GTA for Christmas,  but it turned out to be the wrong game. In fact, three wrong games as what I got was a box set with the first three GTA games. And they didn't work. GTA 1 and 2 doesn't load.  Try it and all that happens is a folder with the programs on the disc appear, most which don't work becaus Windows 10 has no supporting programs to run them. You can get GTA 3 to start working, but once you stop the game or turn the computer off, the next time you try to play it all you get is the opening screen in an endless loop, and have to shut the PC down to stop it. Only by deleting the entire game and reloading it do you get to play it again, but have to start at the beginning again. Rockstar offers no support for these games.

Some further showed that GTA 4 did run on Windows 10 and didn't even need any patches.  So I took the risk and ordered it in January and ran into a different problem. GTA IV on the PC was programmed for Windows Live. Basically Windows Live was supposed to be a free service that allowed Windows users to connect with each other and play online.  Which sounded great because if I could get some friends to buy GTA IV for Windows Live and could spend hours causing havoc in the fictional Liberty City. Or perhaps use it for a game of hide and seek, using cheat code bazookas. It took approximately forever to download the game from both discs. Then came the final steps of registering the game when for some reason it kept saying I wasn't online. So I removed the game and reloaded it, this time with my firewalls disabled and keeping an eye on the modem to make sure every proper light was blinking,  and once again i could not register a Windows Live account because I was off line.

Well, it turns out, as most of you know and I  only recently found out, that Windows Live is what was offline. After encouraging a bunch of game publishers to release games on Windows Live, the entire service was discontinued because, while it was designed for Windows XP, it was too buggy with Windows 8. So, no way to open a Windows Live account,  so no way to authorize any fleshly download Windows Live games. I had the entire game downloaded on my PC, just didn't have the code that would actually allow me to open it and play it. And thus why everyone still pays extra to buy consoles. This shit!

Microsoft offers no fix I know of. Instead they suggest buying the same game for XBox Live! I was that close to calling Amazon and yelling at some poor telemarketer  in India about how their company is selling games that no longer work, and I better get a full refund, when I  decided to search the internet for some sort of hack or fix that would allow me to play the game I bought.  I finally found a web forum where someone complained about this and someone else posted a link to a fix. The link went to a Rockstar forum where someone complained about the whole Windows Live being Windows Dead, and taking all the games with them, and the moderator posting the url for a patch that would allow you to play the game without authorizing it. This was the only way to find this patch. You would think there was an entire page on the Rockstar site for downloading fixes for their PC games, but I couldn't find it.

So the patch works. The game starts. But one additional problem.  The game save is on your Windows Live account! Instead of saving your progress on your PC, it is saved along with all your stats on the Windows server. The one that no longer exist.  So basically there was no way to save the game offline.  So once again I needed to do a web search until I found another forum where someone posted a link to a YouTube video showing how to create an offline account for Windows Live. Which should have been in the f@#king instruction manual!

So after all of that, the game finally works. Although right now I am stuck on the same level.  You are supposed to take a girl named Linda on a first date, and I keep screwing it up on purpose to see what happens. Linda really doesn't like it when you take her to the strip club, or randomly run over joggers in the park, or got to the playground to kill the thugs beating up on your cousin, or abandon her car to carjack a better vehicle, or do anything else you bought GTA to do.

Offline Iron Curtain

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 196
    • My website full o' stuff.
« Reply #755 on: April 25, 2020, 04:44:06 AM »
Animal Crossing, if you count getting K.K. Slider to come to your island and see the credits count as "beating" Animal Crossing (which is one of those games that cannot be beaten, IMHO).

Offline Iron Curtain

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 196
    • My website full o' stuff.
« Reply #756 on: April 27, 2020, 03:54:54 AM »
Okay... I beat a bunch of Castlevania games in the past two days... but in all fairness and full disclosure, I did it by being a cheating motherfucker, but I only used techniques that were put in place in the games by the programmers.

For example, I beat Castlevania: Bloodlines, Castlevania The Adventure, Castlevania 2: Belmont's Revenge by using save states. Basically, I just exploited the hell out of the save state feature. Yeah, I know, I'm a cheating SOB, but at least I'm an honest, cheating SOB.

If it's in those collections that let you use save states, then I don't count it as cheating. Great jorb!

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1701
« Reply #757 on: May 03, 2020, 07:39:25 PM »
Just beat River City Girls with my girlfriend.  It was a lot of fun!  Great game to play with someone.  Wouldn't be nearly as fun on my own.  But he story was funny and female centric.  Gameplay wasn't bad either, save the couple platforming parts, which were awful.  It could not adequately communicate depth to the player, which made for frustrating gameplay when it tried to make you jump on stuff. 

Offline Russoguru

• Liked: 844
  • Define lunch or be disintegrated!
« Reply #758 on: May 04, 2020, 06:16:27 PM »
If it's in those collections that let you use save states, then I don't count it as cheating. Great jorb!
Thanks! I really want to beat Castlevania 3 with Alucard and Syfa one of these days.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2906
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #759 on: May 06, 2020, 04:34:45 PM »
Not really 'beat' but I hit five stars in Animal Crossing New Horizons.

I've also finished my fossil gallery.

And only 7 fish from finishing the fish gallery. Need to head to a Northern Hemisphere Island to catch a frog. Not sure on the availability of the other six. I missed the String Fish when it was available up there, so I need to wait for it to appear here.
FINE

Offline Lesbunny

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 775
  • I just kinda want to die all the time
« Reply #760 on: May 29, 2020, 06:09:18 PM »
It's the ranked ladder on Sword and Shield, so it's not really beating it, but since I picked up a copy of Sword a while back, I wanted to see how hard it would be to go from Unranked to Master Ball tier. For anyone unfamiliar with the ranked ladder, it's best of one battles, and I play in the official format, which is Doubles. Every available Gigantamax Pokemon is legal, as well as any Pokemon that are a part of the Galar regional dex, including regional variants and Kanto and Alola starters. The format is a lot of fun, and if you're interested in it, I suggest looking up some the Trainer Tower website and some Youtubers who're super helpful, like Wolfe Glick(former world champion).

Here's the results of my run to Master Ball:

And here's the team I did it with:

4 of my 5 losses were in the Ultra Ball tier, which is the tier below Master Ball(go figure). It's notorious for having really sweaty gameplay, because everyone in there is close enough to taste the sweet BP you get from the end of the season for being in MB. Doubly so right now, because the season ends in 2 days, so everyone is trying REALLY hard to make it in. My team is really bulky and defensive, and my Weezing set is very unusual, since Weezing is typically seen in a support role with Neutralizing Gas as it's ability. It lacks Special Bulk, but G-Max Lapras helps that out with G-Max Resonance, which sets up Aurora Veil for 8 turns thanks to Light Clay. There are some kinks that need to be worked out with the team, but overall I think it's actually really solid and competitive. If you want to try it out on the ladder, feel free: Rental Codes are super easy this generation!