Author Topic: Orange is the New Black, Netflix's newest original series.  (Read 2366 times)

Offline Thrifty Version II

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 556
  • Now with 30% Less Fat!
Orange is the New Black, Netflix's newest original series.
« on: July 13, 2013, 07:52:33 PM »
Anyone else watching this?  I really like it.  Loosely based on the experiences of Piper Kerman, it follows the story of Piper Chapman who is serving 15 months in a federal prison in Connecticut for money laundering.  It's a bit of an odd show that starts somewhat lighthearted and comedic (for a show about prison) and gradually seems to get more serious.  Piper is engaged to a man named Larry, played by Jason Biggs, a kind and supportive guy.  The show explores the strain her prison sentence puts on their relationship.  They seem to be gradually drifting apart.  Kate Mulgrew plays Red, a middle aged Russian woman serving a much longer sentence.  She runs the kitchen and, due to a combination of her age, long sentence, and sheer force of personality, is one of the more senior inmates and serves as something of a mother figure to a lot of the inmates.

The show makes extensive use of flashbacks to show the inmates lives before prison.  It's a minimum security prison, so none of them have violent pasts, most of them are serving relatively short sentences, and the show itself is rarely violent.  I think it also makes the inmates look more sympathetic.  They seem like decent people who made some wrong turns in life.  Contrast this with Oz, which takes place in a maximum security men's state prison, and just about every inmate is a violent scumbag who you love to hate.  So it's a good show, I'd check it out if you've got Netflix.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1547
Re: Orange is the New Black, Netflix's newest original series.
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 10:11:17 AM »
Keatyn and I are watching this.  She likes it more than I do, but I'd say I like it overall.  We are only through five or six episodes, and I am excited to hear you say that the show gets more serious because the shows attempts at comedy haven't worked so well for me, the chicken episode in particular.  They started to try and delve into goofy Scrubs territory, and I felt it betrayed the serious mood they had established.  They did a whole episode fleshing out Red's character and making her a human, and then all of a sudden she's a goofy one dimensional character a couple episodes later. 

But as I said, a turn for the more serious would be good for a the show I feel, so I'm looking forward to that.

• Big Montana
  • Now with 30% Less Fat!
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 12:10:50 PM »
Watched the last episode yesterday.  That all really went downhill fast.  Such a dark ending. 
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1547
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 01:49:08 PM »
Watched the last episode yesterday.  That all really went downhill fast.  Such a dark ending. 

Show definitely found its mood and groove I think. Liked it. And Keatyn loved it.

Offline eegah

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 278
    • My MST3K Movie Poster Collection
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 06:12:34 PM »
We watched the first episode and, although we thought that overall it was good, I don't think we'll be watching any more. We were hoping for more comedy than drama, but, as was stated above, the comedy was the weak part. Plus, we were a little annoyed by the gratuitous nudity and sexuality; it came across as "Hey! We're not cable! Look what we can do!". I am a bit curious about what's going to happen to Piper, but not sure if I'm curious enough to actually watch more.

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 415
  • Prepare to die, obviously!
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2013, 03:16:49 PM »
AMAZING. This show is relentlessly fantastic.

Oh, and
ORANGE IS THE NEW BLACK HAS MORE SUCCESSFUL DEBUT THAN ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT

Orange is the New Black crossed my radar very close to its release, less than three days before its entire season premiered on Netflix, and for somebody whose job it is to keep tabs on this kind of thing, that was unusual and spoke of a lackluster PR campaign. It sounded like the beginning of an old story: a creator determined to bring the diverse stories of a group of black, brown, gay, trans*, old (and other adjectives that make them a hard sell to studios) women to the small screen, manages to get a show into production at an unorthodox outlet, show is great but due to lack of confidence in the concept nobody ever hears about it except folks who are starving for those stories in the first place for very personal reasons.

So imagine my surprise when Netflix announces that in the “opening week” of Orange is the New Black the show accrued more viewers, for more hours, than the fourth season of Arrested Development.
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline Raven

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 177
  • Nevermore...
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2013, 05:11:19 PM »
We watched the first episode and, although we thought that overall it was good, I don't think we'll be watching any more. We were hoping for more comedy than drama, but, as was stated above, the comedy was the weak part. Plus, we were a little annoyed by the gratuitous nudity and sexuality; it came across as "Hey! We're not cable! Look what we can do!". I am a bit curious about what's going to happen to Piper, but not sure if I'm curious enough to actually watch more.

I just started watching this and although I'm only a couple of episodes in the gratuitous nudity gets less frequent in the following episodes.  Just sayin.

• Big Montana
  • Now with 30% Less Fat!
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2013, 05:21:52 PM »

I just started watching this and although I'm only a couple of episodes in the gratuitous nudity gets less frequent in the following episodes.  Just sayin.
There really wasn't that much nudity.  Especially compared to, say, Oz.  Which was definitely not the good kind of nudity.

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3569
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2013, 01:50:52 PM »
I'm three episodes in, and I'm really impressed.  It is a great show.  My wife doesn't like it at all.  I'll just have to watch it after she falls asleep.

Offline Raven

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Nevermore...
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 09:05:32 PM »
Finished up the season.  Favorite episode is probably the one with the Jesus Freak Meth Heads main back story.  Not sure why everyone was questioning where the future seasons would come from.  The whole thing took only a couple months outta her timeline.  There's still a long way to go before her initial release date would come up. 

• Big Montana
  • Now with 30% Less Fat!
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2013, 09:33:59 AM »
I was watching this again.  I didn't catch the subtle American Pie references the first time, but noticed them this time.  That made me giggle.

In a flashback to the point where Piper tells Larry about her past, they're arguing.  Larry says "I tell you everything!  The webcam incident!  The penis shaving thing!"... which, as you may know, were things that happened to Biggs' character in 2 of the American Pie movies.

Offline Raven

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Nevermore...
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2013, 03:00:40 PM »
I was watching this again.  I didn't catch the subtle American Pie references the first time, but noticed them this time.  That made me giggle.

In a flashback to the point where Piper tells Larry about her past, they're arguing.  Larry says "I tell you everything!  The webcam incident!  The penis shaving thing!"... which, as you may know, were things that happened to Biggs' character in 2 of the American Pie movies.

That was the one thing that I absolutely hated about the show.  To me that stuck out like a sore thumb and completely took me out of the world they were trying to put you in.  I'm kinda surprised you missed it the first time.