Author Topic: Most overrated and underrated albums?  (Read 6671 times)

Offline TheUnabeefer

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 930
  • I am a flying cow... worship me or DIE!!!
    • The Unabeefer Beefs
Re: Most overrated and underrated albums?
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2014, 06:53:32 PM »
You should take her the fuck off your USB then.

She can fuck on MY usb! ...if ya know what I mean! Booyah!!!

All jokes aside though, I don't find her all that attractive... but the joke worked, right?!?!

#YesAllBanned
...and there he was, reigning supreme at number two.  The One... The Only... The Unabeefer.

Soguru

« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2014, 11:29:25 PM »
You should take her the fuck off your USB then.
If your name was Margot, then I would say you're a kidder :P

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2052
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2014, 05:15:57 AM »
Ouch!

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.

Offline john

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2015, 01:48:26 PM »
Frank's Wild Year's has always been a favorite of mine, right next to Swordfishtrombones.

Offline anais.butterfly

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1381
  • Monkey Brains!
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2015, 06:48:20 AM »
Beware, this is long, but I have no one to discuss this with in my real life, so there you go:

I think Our Lady Peace’s Gravity is extremely underrated. Among Our Lady Peace fans (that I have met/read their views. Also, when I go to used record stores, they always have a bunch of copies of this album meaning people bought it and sold it back in droves), this is when the band “jumped the shark” (if that term can be applied to bands. I used to think that too. I adored their first four albums, and when I saw that they had a new one (back in the days before everyone had the internet, the only way I knew an only popular in Canada band had a new album was to randomly come across it at the record store), I was super excited. I listened to the album once, and then I put it away. I might have ended up selling it actually.

So, years later, when I re-bought all of their albums, this was the last one that I bought. Having given it a second chance, I realize it’s pretty awesome, and, despite the songs being more poppy than previous albums, the meat and potatoes of the songs are still what makes me love this band.

First, let’s talk about the elephant in the room: The number 1 hit, Somewhere Out There. This is the song most fans hate, and I admit, I only like it as a guilty pleasure. I mean, what was Raine Maida trying to do be Maroon 5 (many many years before that stupid band existed). So, yes, the song is a trite pop love song, but ya know who else made trite love songs inbetween making AMAZING songs. Paul McCartney. I consider this song to just be Raine Maida McCartneying it and then I move on to the rest of the album.

The remainder of the songs are pure Our Lady Peace. What I love about OLP most is Raine’s way with lyrics. He has a way of dissecting and describing emotional pain or emotional ideas and then making it feel like everything will be ok. When I was going through my personal hard time with my trauma history, these songs got me through some very hard times. So the most famous example of this is Innocent. It’s a pop song with a pro-life message (and by pro-life, I don’t mean anti-abortion). But the album has so much more to it. My favorite example is Not Enough. I interpret this song to be an apology to people dealing with trauma. They want the life they lost, but they have to live the life they have, and the narrator/singer/whatever is saying that is all the comfort I can offer you (and then he says “I’m sorry”).

Another songs just have great lyrics that I love to think about:
“I remember all the feelings and the day they stopped”

“And nothing seems to help
And nothing seems to work
And nothing isn't beautiful
I'm old enough to take all the blame for all of us
There's all the games and all the faces
I'm bleeding by myself and I'm okay...”

“Today’s the reason for living
Today is the light of a candle”

Also, the album still has some great guitar riffs and some heavier sounds, so musically it is not a complete departure from the previous albums. One thing I did notice is that Raine doesn’t use as many falsetto notes as he used in previous albums. This affects the overall sound of the band, and I do miss it, but he is still a great singer.

TLDR: Gravity is not as bad as people make it out to be; in fact, it is one of OLP’s best albums. 
Anais is the Coolest Butterfly I know  ;D