Author Topic: List of Crap: Top 50 Fantasy Movies Countdown  (Read 33119 times)

Johnny Unusual

Re: List of Crap: Top 50 Fantasy Movies Countdown
« Reply #150 on: June 24, 2013, 10:29:34 PM »
Tired and confused, the heroes find themselves at a loss.

"Ya see, ya fools!  There's no way out and no food.  We are doomed.  DOOOMED"  Anais Chaotic Good Elvish Sorceress didn't despair, though.

"OK, OK, let's see what we have.  Maybe there's another way we can handle this.  Empty your bags and pockets, let's see what we have."

There are a few skins of water, nearly empty.  A few pieces of paper and scrolls.  Only a couple are usable for spell: a fire spell and a memory spell.  There's a few condiments.  A useless wand and a heal potion.

Anais Chaotic Good Elvish Sorceress casts a mind connection spell and casts the memory spell that allows her to combine all of their memories of the maze so far.  Using the old scroll paper and the wand and the condiments, she creates a makeshift map that actually completes much of the map.  Anais then completes the map based on estimation and logical design.

"I know the way out."  Says Anais

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #151 on: June 24, 2013, 10:51:02 PM »
Don't play with that wand! It holds vast powers. Only a real sorcerer can use it, not a stupid peck like you.

Number 8 Willow
(95 points on 7 of 14 lists. Top Vote #8 by Anais.Butterfly)

Plot:   
In the dungeons of the castle of the evil Queen-sorceress Bavmorda, a prisoner gives birth to a child who, according to an ancient prophecy, will put an end to the reign of the Queen. A midwife saves the child from the wrath of Bavmorda, but is forced to throw her cradle in a river when reached by the Hounds of the Queen. The river brings the child near a village of nelwyns, and little Willow finds and adopts her. When the Hounds reach the village, Willow begins a difficult journey to bring the baby back to her people and to fulfill the prophecy.

Magical Spells, Artifacts and Monsters

A magic wand – a classic.

Two-headed Dragon – That was in this movie, right?  It’s been a long time since I saw it.

Trivia Notes:
The devil dogs were actually Rottweilers in rubber masks and suits.

During the close-up shots of the scene where Madmartigan and the soldier are being dragged behind the wagon, Val Kilmer was kneeling on a pedestal behind the wagon, while his stunt double was dragged behind letting the stunt man's legs take the beating.

According to the press kits and subsequent novels (!?!), the two-headed dragon was named "Eborsisk", a reference to the movie critics Gene Siskel and Roger Ebert. The word does not occur in the film but made it into some reviews.

Word from Ron Howard is that part of the two-headed dragon "Eborsisk" was modeled after Clint Howard, his brother. He stated that since Clint has had many cameo appearances in his films, and Ron couldn't find a part for him in this one, he modeled the dragon after him. (Man, that dragon was made to insult everyone).

In preparation for the movie, Warwick Davis had to learn a modified accent, how to take care of a baby, how to ride a horse, how to sword fight, and how to perform magic.

Moment of Wonder
Man, that troll losing all its skin is really upsetting to me
 <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Hrb4n-x7CJ4" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Hrb4n-x7CJ4</a>

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #152 on: June 24, 2013, 10:51:41 PM »

So this is the best the Supreme Being can do?

Number 7 Time Bandits   
(105 points on 8 of 14 lists. Top Vote #5 by Charles Hussein Castle)

Plot:   
A young boy's wardrobe contains a time hole. Through this hole an assortment of short people (i.e. dwarfs) come while escaping from their master, the supreme being. They take Kevin with them on their adventures through time from Napoleonic times to the Middle Ages to the early 1900s, to the time of Legends and the Fortress of Ultimate Darkness where they confront Evil.

The Map of Time - Ugh, I hate having to fold those things.

Evil - Basically just David Warner if he was all powerful and was really into state-of-the-art electronics.

Trivia Notes:
Jonathan Pryce was offered the role of the Evil Genius but was unavailable owing to his commitment to Loophole.

In Anne Rice's third novel in her Vampire Chronicles, "The Queen of the Damned", Daniel (the interviewer from Interview with the Vampire: The Vampire Chronicles) and vampire Armand see Time Bandits in the cinema together. Armand finds the scene where the Time Bandits sing for Napoléon Bonaparte in the battle-ravaged theatre so funny that he laughs uncontrollably every time he sees it and goes back repeatedly to re-watch it. Personally, I prefer John Cleese's Robin Hood.

In 1996, Terry Gilliam and Charles McKeown collaborated on a script for Time Bandits 2, bringing back most of the original cast, with the exceptions of David Rappaport and Tiny Ross who had passed away a few years before, and owing to Jack Purvis being paralyzed from a car accident, his character was written to be in a similar state. But following the death of Purvis, the project was shelved indefinitely.

Sean Connery suggested that he appear as one of the firefighters near the end of the film. I wonder if he also suggested (How about we just kill the kid's parents?  I'm sure young audiences would love that and would not be traumatized).

In the original script, King Agamemnon was introduced as: "The warrior took off his helmet, revealing someone that looks exactly like Sean Connery, or an actor of equal but cheaper stature." To Terry Gilliam's surprise, the script ended up in Connery's hands. He expressed interest in the part and his agent approached them for the role. (Connery has made some bad choices in his career, but THIS WAS NOT ONE OF THEM.)

Moment of Wonder
Ya know, this might be my favourite section of the film (I love Agamemnon and Kevin's relationship)
 <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/wEiflMNQJ1o" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/wEiflMNQJ1o</a>

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #153 on: June 24, 2013, 11:06:11 PM »
With a destination in sight, our heroes rush to what they hope is the exit only to find a wall in the way.

"No!  No, it isn't fair!"  Said the old man.  "We were so close!"

"No!" Said Corvus.  "We are getting through."  Then he pulled a scroll he had hidden up his sleeve.

Anais smirked "Holdin' out on us, where ya?"

"A dark wizard always keeps something up his sleeve."

He unfurls the scroll which has nothing but a big dark circle, places it against the wall and says the magic words.

The black spot becomes a hole, both in the scroll and in the wall.  The hole is still very small.

"Well, we're almost out!"

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #154 on: June 24, 2013, 11:07:14 PM »
That's right! A laugh can be a very powerful thing. Why, sometimes in life, it's the only weapon we have.

Number 6 Who Framed Roger Rabbit?   
(113 points on 5 of 14 lists. Top Vote #1 by Raven)

Plot:   
It's the story of a cartoon character named Roger Rabbit who exists along side of real humans. Eventually, it is revealed that Marvin Acme, the owner of the Acme Company and of Toontown, has been murdered! But all fingers point to Roger Rabbit, a Toon star at Maroon Cartoons. But unfortunately the only person who can prove Roger's innocence is Toon hating Eddie Valiant, a washed-up, alcoholic private detective who is reluctantly forced into helping when Roger hides in his apartment. It's up to Eddie to clear Roger's name and find the real evildoer before the villainous, power-hungry Judge Doom goes on a mission to bring Roger to justice!

Toon Town – Come on, well all know what Eddie Valiant meant when he talked about “Goin’ to Toon Town” with his brother and “Havin’ Some Laughs”.  Try getting that image out of your head.

The Dip – The only thing that could kill toons, until TV animation came along in the 60’s.

Trivia Notes:
Another scene that came about by accident was when Roger and Eddie Valiant arrive at Maroon Studios to interrogate Mr. Maroon. As Bob Hoskins delivered his lines, he looked straight ahead, instead of down at a three-foot rabbit. The animators decided to have Roger stand on tiptoe against the wall to cover up the gaffe.

A "prequel" with the working title "Toon Platoon" never got out of the developmental stage. That could have been really awful or absolutely amazing.

The song played by Daffy and Donald Duck in the Ink and Paint Club is the Second Hungarian Rhapsody by Franz Liszt, a song featured in numerous cartoons, including the Oscar winning Tom & Jerry short The Cat Concerto and the Bugs Bunny Merrie Melodie, Rhapsody Rabbit.

Since the movie was being made by Disney, Warner Brothers would only allow the use of their biggest toon stars, Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck, if they got an equal amount of screen time as Disney's biggest stars, Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck. Because of this, both sets of characters are always together in frame when on the screen.

Roddy McDowell was considered for the role of Judge Doom, while Christopher Lee turned it down.  As fantastic as Christopher Lloyd is in this movie, both would have been AMAZING! (especially imagining those two straight-laced actors suddenly turn into murderous toons). 

Also, if I knew this whole list would secretly be a love letter to Lee, I would have made a big special entry for him!.

Moment of Wonder
The crossover you never expected but loved to see!  And an extra number…
 <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZqTMk6RSssw" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/ZqTMk6RSssw</a>

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #155 on: June 24, 2013, 11:15:10 PM »
With the hole so very small, only Spearmint and the now skeletonized Bono could fit though.  "Our only hope lies in his hands", said Anais.

"No" Said Blackeyes, "Now you've lost it.  Frankly, I was relieved, now that those 2 are gone.  It will still be a struggle, but nothing I can't overcome."

The old man staggered back "No, it's yo--" hew began to shout before bursting into flame.

Blackeyes, began to take a new form, that of a taller, almost spectral giant.

"Now, let's take care of that."  He waves his hand and the hole in the wall disappeared. 

"Now, let's have a good old fashioned battle.  I haven't gotten my hands dirty in weeks.  I will enjoy taking you apart.  Not even your little friends can help you now."

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #156 on: June 24, 2013, 11:16:09 PM »
The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was is lost, for none now live who remember it. It began with the forging of the Great Rings.

Number 5 The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring   
(115 points on 7 of 14 lists. Top Vote #1 by Darth Geek)

Plot:   
An ancient Ring thought lost for centuries has been found, and through a strange twist in fate has been given to a small Hobbit named Frodo. When Gandalf discovers the Ring is in fact the One Ring of the Dark Lord Sauron, Frodo must make an epic quest to the Cracks of Doom in order to destroy it! However he does not go alone. He is joined by Gandalf, Legolas the elf, Gimli the Dwarf, Aragorn, Boromir and his three Hobbit friends Merry, Pippin and Samwise. Through mountains, snow, darkness, forests, rivers and plains, facing evil and danger at every corner the Fellowship of the Ring must go. Their quest to destroy the One Ring is the only hope for the end of the Dark Lords reign!

The One Ring – Say what you will about it making people insane and evil and causing the end of the world, but you never have to get it refitted.  Not that many characters where it (seriously, even Gollum, who is totally overcome by the rings evil never really wears the ring all the time.

The Nazgul – AKA Ringwraiths, Ring-wraiths, Black Riders,Dark Riders, the Nine Riders, or simply the Nine because nothing can simply have ONE NAME IN TOLKIEN’S WORLD!

Saruman – Seriously, as great as Ian McKellan is, Christopher Lee makes everything better.

Trivia Notes:
The two most renowned Tolkien artists are Alan Lee and John Howe, and so it was important to Peter Jackson to have those two on board. Lee was tracked down to a tiny little village in Dartmoor, England and was FedExed a package of Jackson's Heavenly Creatures and a letter outlining his intentions. They monitored the progress of the FedEx package every step of the way, but were somewhat surprised when Lee rang them only 3 hours after delivery to say he'd love to work with them. Howe meanwhile was living in Switzerland, and because someone hadn't worked out the time differences between Europe and New Zealand correctly, was rung about 2am. He says that the biggest frustration with that phone call was waiting for Jackson to finish his pitch before he could say yes.

Bilbo Baggins's birthday cake has 111 candles on it and they eventually set fire to the polystyrene cake.

Production designer Grant Major personally supervised the translation of all the writings in Balin's tomb into Dwarvish. He was then horrified to learn that a visiting J.R.R. Tolkienscholar had taken great offence at seeing the phrase "Joe was here" among the writings. They scoured the contents of Balin's tomb and found nothing, only to learn that the scholar - who was overly serious about everything to do with Tolkien - had been told this by a crew carpenter who has having a joke at his expense. Intrepid fans later published screen captures and translations of Moria wall segments where the runes spelled "John was here" and "Made in New Zealand". During pre-production, Weta artists asked Tolkien expert Michael Martinez if there were any examples of Orc graffiti in the book. Martinez found one citation (in the scene where Frodo, Sam, and Gollum see a defaced statue in Gondor). He used other passages to argue that the Orcs would have used runes to carve graffiti on Moria's walls.

During the Council of Elrond, leaves are continually falling in the background to suggest that this is a meeting that is taking place outside. This meant about half a dozen crew members were positioned above the set, dropping leaves at various intervals. This also meant that the production department had to collect sacks and sacks of leaves during autumn, and of course dead leaves turn brown fairly quickly. Which also meant that every single one of those leaves had to be individually painted.

John Howe, brought in to work on the production because of his longstanding reputation as being one of the great artists of J.R.R. Tolkien's work, was given the task of designing the Moria Orcs himself.

Moment of Wonder
Wizard Vs. Demon!
 <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/VlaiBeLrntQ" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/VlaiBeLrntQ</a>
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 11:37:03 PM by Johnny Unusual »

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #157 on: June 24, 2013, 11:33:19 PM »
Corvus, Anais and Coal cast magic missiles at Blackeyes.  Crump, Dogmeat, Montgomery and Cecil strike with all of their might.  As they take injuries, von Rook exhausts his magic trying to heal them as they take damage from Blackeyes magical attacks.  And Richardella and Tejava sneak behind Blackeyes to sneak attack him.  But it seems to be of no avail.

"I was hoping some of you would give up and become permanent fixtures.  You certainly are colourful enough."

"You know," points out Tejava "It's not like you thought to ask."

Suddenly, Cecil uses his smite evil attack and does serious damage to Blackeyes.

"ARRGGHH.... I must admit, that hurt tremendously.  If I played fair, I would be very worried.  If..."

Suddenly, Blackeyes turns into black gas and starts filling the masonry of the walls.  Suddenly, the other entrance turns unto a wall.

"You'll have to forgive me, but I love the classics."

Suddenly, the Blackeyes possessed walls begin closing in on our heroes.  They push against them as hard as the can.

"You can slow down the walls," laughs Blackeyes "But walls don't tire like flesh does."

Slowly but surely but the walls keep moving forward, giving not an inch.

After a few minutes, our party begins to say their goodbyes.  All hope taken away.

And that is when the wall eroded.  And on the other side, Spearmint and Bono.

Spearmint wanted to make a quip but everyone was too busy rushing out of the hole to hear it.

And that's when it dawned on them... They are out of the maze!

"How did you get us out?  You were out of resources." asked Cecil.

"Yeah, but right outside was a forest." Said Spearmint  "A good alchemist can make almost anything out of a few carefully chosen resources."

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #158 on: June 24, 2013, 11:35:16 PM »

I don't know why, but every now and again in my life - for no reason at all - I need you. All of you.

Number 4 Labyrinth   
(126 Points on 11 of 14 lists. Top Vote #3 by Pak Man)

Plot:   
Young Sarah is left home alone by her parents and she has to babysit her little brother Toby. But the baby keeps crying and Sarah, while telling him a story to make him sleep, inadvertently conjures from a fantasy world the Goblin King who steals the child and brings him to his castle in the middle of a labyrinth. Sarah has to rescue him before midnight, or the baby will became a goblin...

The Labyrinth – It’s full of tricks, traps, MC Escher stuff and probably a magic eye.  I can never get those to work.

Goblins – The Goblin King is Hunky Dory spelled backwards!

Trivia Notes:
The various things that Jareth does with the crystal balls (rolling them around his arms and in his hands and so forth) are not camera tricks or any other kind of special effect. They are actually done by choreographer Michael Moschen, who is an accomplished juggler. Moschen was actually crouched behind Bowie with his arm(s) replacing Bowie's. Unlike a typical Muppet performance, however, he had no video screen to view his performance. In other words, his manipulations were performed completely blind.

The upside-down room in the Goblin City is directly inspired by a drawing by M.C. Escher(entitled "Relativity") - which can been seen in Sarah's room at the beginning of the film.

The baby who plays Toby is Toby Froud, son of Brian Froud who was the conceptual designer for both this movie and The Dark Crystal, another Jim Henson production.

Helena Bonham Carter, Jane Krakowski, Yasmine Bleeth, Sarah Jessica Parker, Mary Stuart Masterson, Laura Dern, Maddie Corman, Kerri Green, Lili Taylor, Laura San Giacomo, Ally Sheedy, Mia Sara and Marisa Tomei all auditioned for the role of Sarah Williams. Krakowski, Sheedy and Corman were all highly considered for the role, alongsideJennifer Connelly, who eventually won the role.

Monty Python member Terry Jones wrote one early version of the script. Little of his material was retained beyond the point where Sarah eats the poisoned peach. The original script ended with Sarah punching and kicking Jareth, then watching him shrink down until he's becomes a small and "snivelling" goblin. Also, Toby's name was Freddie in the early drafts of the story. The baby's name was changed because the infant Toby Froud would only react to his own name.

Moment of Wonder
I’ve shown the Within You scenes too many times on this board and Magic Dance showed up in musicals.  So here are all the hidden Jareths in the movie.
 <a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/YCmdYCrHXoc" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/YCmdYCrHXoc</a>

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #159 on: June 24, 2013, 11:46:06 PM »
Our heroes look around them.  They are in the mouth of the cavern, just about 10 meters away from the exit.  Our heroes, tired and weary, begin to lip towards the exit.  But from deep inside the labyrinth is a bellow of "NNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOO!  NO ONE TAKES MY TOYS FROM ME UNTIL I'M DONE!"

The black smoke emerges from the labyrinth and floats in front of the exist to the cave.  He takes an even larger form, one that would not have been possible in the relatively tight confines of the labyrinth.

"GET BACK IN THERE!  I AM YOUR GOD NOW! DIE FOR ME!"

"Buddy", Crump smirked, "You clearly missed out on who we were for the duration of our trip.  Let's remind you."

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #160 on: June 24, 2013, 11:48:02 PM »

Back off, man. I'm a scientist.

Number 3 Ghostbusters   
(137 Points on 8 of 14 lists. Top Vote #3 by Johnny Unusual)

Plot:   
Three odd-ball scientists get kicked out of their cushy positions at a university in New York City where they studied the occult. They decide to set up shop in an old firehouse and become Ghostbusters, trapping pesky ghosts, spirits, haunts, and poltergeists for money. They wise-crack their way through the city, and stumble upon a gateway to another dimension, one which will release untold evil upon the city. The Ghostbusters are called on to save the Big Apple.

Slimer – This reminds me, we really need to do an LoC of top 50 ghosts around Halloween time.

Gozer – After watching Labyrinth… I think her part might have been meant for David Bowie.  Or Christopher Lee.

Zuul and Vince Cortho – If you have the DVD or Blu Ray, I love the deleted scene from the end of the movie between Dana and Louis.  “Did we—“ “No, Louis.”

Trivia Notes:
Gozer was originally going to be played by Paul Reubens (I was way off), who turned down the role. In the original script, Gozer took on the form of Ivo Shandor (the ghost building's architect, who started the original Gozer cult), who resembled a pale, slender, unremarkable man in a business suit.

The original script had a budding romance between the cynical receptionist Janine and the blissfully out of it Egon, but most of it was edited out of the film. The special edition DVD features a deleted scene of Janine giving Egon a coin for luck before he goes off with the other Ghostbusters to fight Gozer; they are interrupted by Venkman. The relationship between Janine and Egon was explored more in the animated series that followed.

The Stay-Puft marshmallow man was originally supposed to come up out of the water right next to The Statue of Liberty, to get a contrast of size, but the scene was too hard to shoot.

In the middle of the film's initial release, to keep interest going, Ivan Reitman had a trailer run, which was basically the commercial the Ghostbusters' use in the movie, but with the 555 number replaced with a 1-800 number, allowing people to call. They got a recorded message of Bill Murray and Dan Aykroyd saying something to the effect of "Hi. We're out catching ghosts right now." They got 1,000 calls per hour, 24 hours a day, for six weeks.

The original premise of Ghost Busters had three main characters: John Belushi, Dan Aykroyd and Eddie Murphy. They fought ghosts in S.W.A.T. like suits using wands instead of guns. The ghost named Slimer was known as 'Onionhead', and at the end of the movie the Ghostbusters franchise was all over the United States. John Candy also was slated to play Louis. However, with Belushi's death and characters (don’t you mean actors, guy from IMDB where I took this from?) backing out, the script was rewritten and new actors cast.

Moment of Wonder
I always like the montages: both of them getting famous and successful and of the ghosts escaping to New York.  Still, here’s Slimer:
 <a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/7_pR6mUYtOo" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/7_pR6mUYtOo</a>

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #161 on: June 25, 2013, 12:02:14 AM »
The heroes once again strike at the enemy, but with them severely weakened, Blackeyes has a definite advantage.  Just as it looks like he is about to cast a spell to cast a final blow, Spearmint throws another potion at the enemy's head.  It misses, exploding behind him.  But suddenly Blackeyes begins to scream in pain.  It seems that the explosion made the cavern entrance bigger, exposing Blackeyes to the outside world.  It isn't clear whether it is the light, the air or just being outside, but he clearly hates it.

Then Coal Stratum sings a song to increase the strength of our hero as they use the last of their strength to bring down the weakened ghoul.  Suddenly, having crawled up to it's neck, Richardella sticks the back of his neck with a final blow.  Blackeyes falls.  The strange wizard is dead.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #162 on: June 25, 2013, 12:03:09 AM »

I'm a reasonable guy. But, I've just experienced some very unreasonable things.

Number 2 Big Trouble in Little China   
(146 Points on 8 of 14 lists. Top Vote #1 by Compound)

Plot:   
When trucker Jack Burton agreed to take his friend Wang Chi to pick up his fiancee at the airport, he never expected to get involved in a supernatural battle between good and evil. Wang's fiancee has emerald green eyes, which make her a perfect target for an immortal sorcerer named Lo Pan and his three invincible cronies. Lo Pan must marry a girl with green eyes so he can regain his physical form. Now, Jack must save Wang's fiancee from Lo Pan and his henchmen, and win back his stolen truck. But how can he defeat an enemy who has no body?

Lo Pan – Maybe someone should have told him about the fact that green eyes are very common, then maybe he wouldn’t spend all that time bodiless.

The Three Storms – Lightning, Rain and the guy who inflates and explodes.

That one thing – Jeez, what is that thing?

That other thing – That’s even weirder than the first thing!

Trivia Notes:
According to John Carpenter in the DVD Commentary, Carter Wong, who plays Thunder, actually worked as a martial arts instructor with the Hong Kong Police. Then he inflated and exploded.  That was weird.

The Truck Driven by Jack (Kurt Russell) - the "Pork Chop Express" - is a Freightliner FLC 120

In the Italian dubbing of the movie the quote "Yeah, and a wise man has enough sense to get in out of the rain!" is dubbed as if it was Jack Burton's line, not Egg Shen's.

In the DVD Commentary, John Carpenter jokingly says that Kurt Russell's character Jack Burton is the hero of the movie, but other than killing Lo Pan and saving Wang when he shoots the guard, he is more of a sidekick throughout the movie. (That’s actually what I like about the movie)

The rivalry between the Chang Sing and Wing Kong Tongs is analogous to the famous rivalry between the Hip Sing and On Leong Tongs (even the names rhyme) in early 20th century New York.

Moment of Wonder
Everybody fight!
 <a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/u4BvCC28SaU" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/u4BvCC28SaU</a>
 Oh, and this guy inflates and explodes
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/wDSJuTlAqw4" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/wDSJuTlAqw4</a>

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #163 on: June 25, 2013, 12:05:46 AM »
It seemed over... but as Blackeyes blood spilled into the earth, it began to rumble.  Suddenly, the cavern floor began to collapse into a big pit.  The labyrinth was gone.  Our weakened heroes ran out just to time to avoid being dragged down into it.

"Well what do we do now?" Asked Richardella.

"Well," said Coal "Living happily ever after comes to mind."

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #164 on: June 25, 2013, 12:06:59 AM »
As You Wish

Number 1 : The Princess Bride
(198 points on 9 of 14 lists. Top Vote #1 by Cole Stratton, Johnny Unusual and Mrs. Dick Courier)

Plot:
A lawful good grandfather sits down with his chaotic good grandson and reads him a story. The story is one that has been passed down from father to son for generations. As the grandfather reads the story, the action comes alive. The story is a classic tale of love and adventure as the beautiful Buttercup, engaged to the odious Prince Humperdinck, is kidnapped and held against her will in order to start a war. It is up to Westley (her childhood beau, now returned as the Dread Pirate Roberts) to save her. On the way he faces her kidnapper and his hired helpers, an accomplished swordsman and a huge, super strong giant.  But once Westley saves Buttercup, they find that they find their love threatened by Humperdinck.

Inago's Sword - Not magical, but none has seen its equal.

The Machine - Can steal years of your life.  If you have used it, please, in detail, tell me how you feel.

True Love - Can only be delayed by death, but not stopped.

Trivia Notes:
Mandy Patinkin revealed that acting out Inigo's quest to avenge his father's murder brought back memories of losing his own father to cancer in 1972. He said that when filming the scene when Inigo kills "The Six-Fingered Man" he felt like he had just "killed" the cancer that killed his father. This is awesome!

When Count Rugen hits Westley over the head, Cary Elwes told Christopher Guest to go ahead and hit him for real. Guest hit him hard enough to shut down production for a day while Elwes went to the hospital.

While never stated in the movie, according to the screenplay the grandson and grandfather live in the Chicago suburb of Evanston, Illinois. This explains the Walter Payton Chicago Bears #34 jersey worn by the grandson, the Chicago Cubs pennant andWilliam Perry poster on the wall and the Chicago White Sox cap hanging in the room.

Mandy Patinkin claims that the only injury he sustained during the entire filming of this movie was a bruised rib due to stifling his laughter in his scenes with Billy Crystal.

Max and Valerie, played by Billy Crystal and Carol Kane respectively, were named after author William Goldman's parents, Max and Valerie.

Moment of Wonder
So many great moments and fantastical elements, but nothing is more amazing as a kiss of true love.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Bj9LGlWybG4" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Bj9LGlWybG4</a>