Author Topic: List of Crap: Top 50 Fantasy Movies Countdown  (Read 33144 times)

Johnny Unusual

Re: List of Crap: Top 50 Fantasy Movies Countdown
« Reply #90 on: June 20, 2013, 10:05:41 PM »
The party enters Richardella's head, only to find a maze of confusion, perception problems and troublesome stray thoughts.  Everyone is confused, but the Paladin trusts in his god to lead him through the tangled, knotted reality.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #91 on: June 20, 2013, 10:06:15 PM »

It would be so nice if something would make sense for a change.

Number 26: Alice in Wonderland
(44 points on 3 of 14 lists. Top Vote #1 by Pak Man)

Plot:   
On a golden afternoon, young Alice follows a White Rabbit, who disappears down a nearby rabbit hole. Quickly following him, she tumbles into the burrow - and enters the merry, topsy-turvy world of Wonderland! Memorable songs and whimsical escapades highlight Alice's journey, which culminates in a madcap encounter with the Queen of Hearts - and her army of playing cards!

Magical Spells, Artifacts and Monsters

Eat Me! – No, no, the cake!

The White Rabbit – Ya’ll ever notice how white rabbits are always late, while black rabbit are all like “on time?”

Trivia Notes:
One of the jurors is José Carioco (from Saludos Amigos and The Three Caballeros).

The Doorknob was the only character in the film that did not appear in Lewis Carroll's books.

Every time the White Rabbit's watch is seen, it is always 12:25. WHAT DOES IT MEAN!?!

Moment of Wonder
When she said goodbye to Dinah… did she think she was going to die?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/pHte24GGHD4" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/pHte24GGHD4</a>

Offline Raven

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 177
  • Nevermore...
« Reply #92 on: June 20, 2013, 11:15:12 PM »
Alice in Wonderland was on my list.  Glad somebody had it as their top pick.  Nice choice Pakky.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #93 on: June 21, 2013, 04:56:15 AM »
Fed up with dealing with the mental mucky muck, Corvus recklessly casts a spell to forcibly separate the two minds.  Luckily, the spell worked well with no definite damage, but with the mental landscape being split in twain, the ground is disappearing from under their feet.  Having to choose between between the 2 minds, they decide to quickly dive into Richardella's mind, but find themselves trapped in there.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #94 on: June 21, 2013, 04:57:07 AM »
I have been to the dark side. I have seen a world that no man should see.

Number 25: Being John Malkovich
(49 points on 4 of 14 lists. Top Vote #3 by Raven)

Plot:   
Craig, a puppeteer, takes a filing job in a low-ceilinged office in Manhattan. Although married to the slightly askew Lotte, he hits on a colleague, the sexually frank Maxine. She's bored but snaps awake when he finds a portal leading inside John Malkovich: for 15 minutes you see, hear, and feel whatever JM is doing, then you fall out by the New Jersey Turnpike. Maxine makes it commercial, selling trips for $200; also, she's more interested in Lotte than in Craig, but only when Lotte is inside JM. JM finds out what's going on and tries to stop it, but Craig sees the portal as his road to Maxine and to success as a puppeteer. Meanwhile, Lotte discovers others interested in the portal.

The John Malkovich Door – Personally, I want to find the Bill Murray door.  Or the Paul Williams door!  Oh, oh, this is a fun game: who would you like to spend 15 minutes in?

Trivia Notes:
Craig discovers that LesterCorp is on the 7 1/2 floor of the Mertin Flemmer building by seeing a "7 1/2" on a building directory in the lobby - at the 7 1/2-minute point of the film.

Several characters in the movie remember John Malkovich as having played a jewel thief, even though, as he correctly points out, he never did. However, Malkovich did eventually play a jewel thief in Johnny English.

The name of John Cusack's character is a combined reference to Edward Gordon Craig and Bruce Schwartz. Schwartz is an accomplished American puppeteer while Craig was a turn-of-the-century theater artist who suggested that actors should be viewed as no more important than marionettes.

Moment of Wonder
Well, I really do like the scene where Craig uses John like a human puppet but you know damn well which scene you are about to watch.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q6Fuxkinhug" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Q6Fuxkinhug</a>

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #95 on: June 21, 2013, 05:02:13 AM »
With the chance of escape seeming slimmer, the party finds their spell wearing off.  They need to get out of this head before they are converted from flesh made spirit into flesh made spirit made into stray thoughts in a party member's head.  Luckily Crump has an idea: smash everything!  Crump beats on the inside of Richardella's mind and, despite all plausibility, creates a hole that leads out into the real world.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #96 on: June 21, 2013, 05:02:54 AM »

When you're born in the gutter you end up in the port.

Number 24: The City of Lost Children
(50 points on 4 of 14 lists. Top Vote #3 by CJones)

Plot:   
The evil Krank and his henchmen have been made by a mad scientist. Krank's problem is that he is tormented by his inability to dream. He finds it necessary to try to steal the dreams of children, but since they fear him, he only gets their nightmares. When a circus strongman's little brother is kidnapped, the strongman (One) tracks him down and, with the help of some other eccentric characters, tries to put an end to the evil reign of Krank and his Cyclops army.  (THAT. SOUNDS. AWESOME!

Haven’t seen it, but I think there’s a dream machine or something, right?

Trivia Notes:
Opening film at the 1995 Cannes Film Festival.

To achieve the slightly skewed color scheme of the movie, the actors were made up in white face and the color palette corrected until they were flesh-toned.

Ron Perlman doesn't speak French and was the only American on set. But he learned all of his lines, and delivered them without error. In commentaries and interviews, however, he insists his French was bad.

Moment of Wonder
Well, that took a turn, didn’t it?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/84oOfzTmc5g" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/84oOfzTmc5g</a>

Offline Raven

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Nevermore...
« Reply #97 on: June 21, 2013, 06:04:06 AM »
I watch Being John Malkovich at least once a year.  Kaufman is crazy and I'm not sure if I like this one or Adaptation better.  I only saw City of Lost Children once when it first came out and I didn't remember enough of it to place it on my list.  I'll have to rewatch that one soon.   

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #98 on: June 21, 2013, 06:51:21 AM »
With all of this soul business sorted out, the party finally decides to find a way out of the cavern.  With Bono's original body left behind, Bono must now use a skeleton as a temporary body until a better one comes along. 

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #99 on: June 21, 2013, 07:55:57 AM »

The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do.

Number 23: The Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl
(50 points on 5 of 14 lists. Top Vote #6 by Compound)

Plot:   
This swash-buckling tale follows the quest of Captain Jack Sparrow, a savvy pirate, and Will Turner, a resourceful blacksmith, as they search for Elizabeth Swann. Elizabeth, the daughter of the governor and the love of Will's life, has been kidnapped by the feared Captain Barbossa. Little do they know, but the fierce and clever Barbossa has been cursed. He, along with his large crew, are under an ancient curse, doomed for eternity to neither live, nor die. That is, unless a blood sacrifice is made.

The cursed pirates – “Better start believin’ in ghost stories.  Yer in a ZOMBIE STORY.  Wait, let me try that again.”

Trivia Notes:
The figurehead (a sculpted ornament on the bow of ancient vessels) of the ship carrying Elizabeth and Governor Swann at the beginning of the movie is actually the coat of arms of the United Kingdom and it is the figurehead of an actual ship of the line, the HMS Victory, which participated in the Trafalgar Battle against combined french and Spanish navies under the command of Lord Horatio Nelson in 1805. HMS Victory is now preserved at Portsmouth, England, as a museum and is the oldest commissioned warship in the world. She still has a captain and crew, although is no longer seaworthy, having been in dry dock since 1922. The crest holds the French motto of the British monarchs "Dieu et mon droit" (God and my right) and the Old Latin motto of the Order of the Garter "Honi soit qui mal y pense" (Evil be unto him that thinks evil).

Many of the crew got seasick while filming.

When Ted Elliott and Terry Rossio, the screenwriters, originally pitched the movie to the Disney executives in the early '90s, it was rejected.

Moment of Wonder
That’s a pretty great entrance.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/LkWQvzrv6gI" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/LkWQvzrv6gI</a>

Offline tejava joe

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 38
« Reply #100 on: June 21, 2013, 09:23:33 AM »
musical interlude

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/dIM_8d188kA" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/dIM_8d188kA</a>

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #101 on: June 22, 2013, 03:32:51 AM »
Finally with everything more or less settled, they ventured forth.  An hour of walking later, they see something up ahead.  The cavern stops with a big wall with one entrance.  A sign notes that this is a maze and also a labyrinth.  That's right: IT'S BOTH!  Crump surprisingly gives some good advice: If we keep to the right we should get there eventually.  Despite being a battle loving barbarian, it seems he also loves trivia.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #102 on: June 22, 2013, 03:36:50 AM »

He would wait for her, until he drew his last breath, until the world stopped turning...

Number 22: Pan’s Labyrinth
(53 points on 3 of 14 lists. Top Vote #1 by Cjones)

Plot:   
In 1944 fascist Spain, a girl, fascinated with fairy-tales, is sent along with her pregnant mother to live with her new stepfather, a ruthless captain of the Spanish army. During the night, she meets a fairy who takes her to an old faun in the center of the labyrinth. He tells her she's a princess, but must prove her royalty by surviving three gruesome tasks. If she fails, she will never prove herself to be the the true princess and will never see her real father, the king, again.

The Faun – He’s not called Pan.  It’s poetic license.

The Pale Man – I think calling him “the Pale Man” is sorting of ignoring his more noticeable attributes.

Trivia Notes:
Guillermo del Toro is famous for compiling books full of notes and drawings about his ideas before turning them into films, something he regards as essential to the process. He left years worth of notes for this film in the back of a cab, and when he discovered them missing, he thought it was the end of the project. However, the cab driver found them and, realizing their importance, tracked him down and returned them at great personal difficulty and expense. Del Toro was convinced that this was a blessing and it made him ever more determined to complete the film.

Ivana Baquero was too old to play the lead part originally written for an eight- or nine-year-old, but Guillermo del Toro was so impressed that he revised it to accommodate the 11-year-old actress.

It has been said that, for the fairy eating scene, Doug Jones had to bite condoms filled with fake blood.

Moment of Wonder
You saw those paintings and you STILL ATE THE FRUIT?!?  Also I want to know his back story about his home:  did he commission the paintings or did people just make warning paintings without bothering the Pale Man.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/OSICJJq86ic" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/OSICJJq86ic</a>

Offline Raven

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Nevermore...
« Reply #103 on: June 22, 2013, 05:58:52 AM »
I want that poster.  Looks awesome.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #104 on: June 22, 2013, 06:10:08 AM »
Mike Mignola does good work!