login

Author Topic: List of Crap: Top 50 Fantasy Movies Countdown  (Read 32030 times)

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5857
  • Mr. Robot
Re: List of Crap: Top 50 Fantasy Movies Countdown
« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2013, 05:19:13 AM »
Using Tejava's advice, Dogmeat outsmarts the grim reaper... with his fists!  Why has no one ever thought to do that.  But unfortunately death has a laugh.  Not the last one, but a laugh nonetheless.  Rather than being being brought back in his own body, he is returned in another form...

Offline Raven

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 177
  • Nevermore...
« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2013, 06:19:50 AM »
Brazil should have been higher.  I had it on my list but removed it to move it up a couple spots, and then forgot to put it back in.  Stupid on my part, and I even threw in a couple I only kinda liked to finish off my list.  D'oh.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2013, 07:16:56 AM »
Boo-yah! Welcome to Kuzcotopia, my ultimate summer getaway, complete with water slide.

Number 36: The Emperor’s New Groove
(35 points on 2 of 14 lists. Top Vote #5 by anais.butterfly)

Plot:
The vain and cocky Emperor Kuzco is a very busy man. Besides maintaining his "groove", and firing his suspicious administrator, Yzma; he's also planning to build a new waterpark just for himself for his birthday. However, this means destroying one of the villages in his kingdom. Meanwhile, Yzma is hatching a plan to get revenge and usurp the throne. But, in a botched assassination courtesy of Yzma's right-hand man, Kronk, Kuzco is magically transformed into a llama. Now, Kuzco finds himself the property of Pacha, a lowly llama herder whose home is ground zero for the water park. Upon discovering the llama's true self, Pacha offers to help resolve the Emperor's problem and regain his throne, only if he promises to move his water park.

Magical Spells, Artifacts and Monsters

Animal potions – Not to be confused with poisons.  Someone really needs to label these.

Trivia Notes:
Pacha's name means "earth" in the Incan Language.

In the dinner scene where Kronk lights a pair of candles the holder is of a small figure. This was a character from the early versions of the film. He was an advisor to the emperor that was later written out.

Moment of Wonder
Oh, it’s all pretty funny.  Here’s a fun scene.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/HfIxMNm7roU" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/HfIxMNm7roU</a>
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 05:37:51 PM by Johnny Unusual »

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2013, 07:17:40 AM »
I'll finish this off much later in the day.  I need to hit the sack.

Offline Starman!

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 359
« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2013, 07:35:39 AM »
I was going to put Hellboy on my list but decided to stay away from comic book movies.

Glad to see Fire Walk With Me made the list. ;D

And yes, Brazil should be higher.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #50 on: June 18, 2013, 08:24:47 AM »
Personally I like the second Hell Boy movie more (but then, I love Fairies) but I have the first because it's slightly better in terms of story and structure and things like that. :)

Offline anais.butterfly

• Liked: 1382
  • Monkey Brains!
« Reply #51 on: June 18, 2013, 09:02:01 AM »
Everything about The Emperor's New Grove is pure hilarity. It was also the first time I learned who Patrick Warburton is :)

If I ever meet John Goodman again, I will be hard pressed to figure out which movie I want to gush over him about: Big Lewbowski or Emperor's New Groove. (Sigh), I am so out of my element!
Anais is the Coolest Butterfly I know  ;D

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #52 on: June 18, 2013, 03:16:39 PM »
For me, it would definitely be Barton Fink.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #53 on: June 18, 2013, 04:05:16 PM »
Dogmeat has returned as a great bear.  It would seem that there's not much of a difference except that Dogmeat can no longer wield an axe.  You press on further into the cavernous... cavern.

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
« Reply #54 on: June 18, 2013, 05:11:27 PM »
I can't believe you forgot Bono's soul is still in my body.

How you doing in there Bono?
Opticians are easy on the eyes

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #55 on: June 18, 2013, 05:39:38 PM »

Fate be changed, look inside. Mend the bond torn by pride.

Number 35: Brave
(35 points on 3 of 14 lists. Top Vote #13 by Johnny Unusual)

Plot:
Merida, a Scottish princess whose interests include archery and horse riding, is told by her mother that her interests are not what a princess should be doing and that she has to marry. But Merida chooses to defy her mother. And when she and her mother have an argument Merida rides off and meets a witch. She asks for a spell to change her mother. And the witch gives her a cake which she gives to her mother but the change is not what she was hoping for. So she tries to find a way to fix it.

Enchanted Cake – Dude, you do NOT do that to your mom! (Less dirty sounding if you’ve seen the film)

Trivia Notes:
The Pizza Planet truck, a fixture of nearly every full-length Pixar film can be spotted in the Witch's Hut.

The chess set in Merida's room is the famous Lewis Chessmen from the 12th century, unearthed in Scotland in 1831.

Moment of Wonder
Not magical, but a pretty great scene.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/2EIFWjLYNWA" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/2EIFWjLYNWA</a>

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #56 on: June 18, 2013, 05:41:12 PM »
By the way, I need to spoil one small thing right now.  No one voted for Ladyhawke.  That just surprised me is all.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #57 on: June 18, 2013, 07:15:15 PM »
Our party wanders through the party for some time.  It seems rather empty and quiet and this is when Coal Stratum decides to pen an epic song saga about Dogmeat's battle with death in the bowels and rectum of the earth and his braveness in the face of the afterlife.

Offline Raven

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 177
  • Nevermore...
« Reply #58 on: June 18, 2013, 07:29:31 PM »
I haven't watched Brave yet but we did pick up a copy so it's sitting on the shelf.  Definately want to give that a watch. 

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #59 on: June 18, 2013, 07:35:02 PM »

...Fear is like a giant fog. It sits on your brain and blocks everything - real feelings, true happiness, real joy. They can't get through that fog. But you lift it, and buddy, you're in for the ride of your life.

Number 34: Defending Your Life
(36 points on 2 of 14 lists. Top Vote #4 by Cole Stratton)

Plot:
Yuppie Daniel Miller is killed in a car accident and goes to Judgment City, a waiting room for the afterlife. During the day, he must prove in a courtroom-style process that he successfully overcame his fears (a hard task, given the pitiful life we are shown); at night, he falls in love with Julia, the only other young person in town. Nights are a time of hedonistic pleasure, since you can (for instance) eat all you want without getting fat.

Judgement City – This is easily my favourite all time depiction of the afterlife.  I had a much larger write up on it, but then my word program crashed and lost the file!

Trivia Notes:
Shirley MacLaine is the MC in the Past Lives Pavillion.

In a scene set in a comedy club, a terrible comedian performs a roast-style comedy act. This comedian asks Daniel (writer/director lead Albert Brooks) how Daniel died. Daniel says "on stage, like you." Daniel later jokes that he can't leave before the end of the act because the guy on stage is his father. "No, I'm kidding. That would be so sad for me." This entire interaction is a dark and elaborate in-joke. Albert Brooks' father, Harry Parke, actually was a comedian who died on stage at the Friar's Club, just after he finished his roast style comedy routine. 

Moment of Wonder
A very unique and insightful imagining of the afterlife.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/BF897aNyxSs" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/BF897aNyxSs</a>