login

Author Topic: List of Crap: Top 50 Fantasy Movies Countdown  (Read 32833 times)

Johnny Unusual

Re: List of Crap: Top 50 Fantasy Movies Countdown
« Reply #75 on: June 19, 2013, 06:23:18 PM »
Come algebra, anatomy, astronomy, biology, chemistry, geology, geometry, mathematics, meteorology, mineralology, oceanography, paleontology, physics, psychology, sociology, trigonometry, and zoology!

Number 30: The Flight of Dragons
(42 points on 2 of 14 lists. Top Vote #2 by Tripe Hound Redux)

Plot:   
Faced with the inevitable replacement of magic by science, the magician Carolinus summons his 3 brothers (all magicians) to pitch a wild plan. The creation of a realm of magic to exist separate and apart from the world of man, where all things magical can be protected. 2 of Carolinus' brothers buy into the plan and offer their assistance. However one brother Ommadon rebels refusing to join this retirement village. Ommadon has another plan in mind, he wants to take the fight directly to man hoping to use their science against them. Prevented from direct interference, the 3 brothers arrange a quest to defeat Ommadon. A quest championed by a local knight Sir Orin Neville Smythe, the dragons Gorbash and Smrgol, and a yet unknown leader who must be a man of science. Calling out to antiquity, Carolinus locates Peter Dickenson, a modern day man of science and manages to convince him to join and lead the quest. However, a spell gone awry creates additional challenges for Peter, huge ones for that matter. What ensues is a wondrous adventure full of interesting characters, challenges, and perils that will cumulate in a face-off between Peter and Ommadon.

Magical Spells, Artifacts and Monsters

Dragons – I assume.  Look, I never even heard of it until now.

Trivia Notes:
The last film project of Victor Buono.

The actors who provided voices for Antiquity and Solarius the Blue Wizard are uncredited. Paul Frees voiced the omnipotent Antiquity, but there is apparently no record anywhere of who voiced Solarius.

Loosely based on the novel 'The Dragon and the George' by Gordon R. Dickson.

Moment of Wonder
You tell me.  Here’s the intro, though

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/PwuhdhYL8UY" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/PwuhdhYL8UY</a>

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #76 on: June 19, 2013, 06:29:00 PM »
After the argument is settled, it is agreed a mix of both is to be used.  Using a sleep potion and a soul entering spell, the crew decides to enter the soul of Richardella and Bono and separate them before they become permanently entangled.  To do this, they must convert a regular door into a door that enters dreams.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #77 on: June 19, 2013, 06:31:41 PM »
We are Sex Bob-Omb and we are here to make you think about death and get sad and stuff!

Number 29: Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World
(43 points on 3 of 14 lists. Top Vote #2 by Compound)

Plot:   
Scott Pilgrim plays in a band which aspires to success. He dates Knives Chau, a high-school girl five years younger, and he hasn't recovered from being dumped by his former girlfriend, now a success with her own band. When Scott falls for Ramona Flowers, he has trouble breaking up with Knives and tries to romance Ramona. As if juggling two women wasn't enough, Ramona comes with baggage: seven ex-lovers, with each of whom Scott must do battle to the death in order to win Ramona.

The Power of Love - +3 Guts +2 Heart +4 Smarts +4 Will

The Power of Self Respect - +5 Guts +6 Heart +7 Smart +8 Balls

Coins – Sweet!

Trivia Notes:
The stunt doubles of Lucas Lee are the actual stunt doubles for actor Chris Evans. Only a quarter of the doubles resemble Evans.

Casa Loma, the setting for the scene where Lucas Lee is filming his movie, is a popular filming location in Toronto. It is perhaps most notable to comic book fans as the location used for Professor Xavier's School in X-Men and its sequels. (And as fans know, Pilgrim is an X-Men fan.  Not the Xavier’s School patch on his jacket.)
The original concept for "Scott Pilgrim" is based around 2 premises. First, what if, after a life of playing fighting games, someone confronted you and you actually had the ability to fight like a "Street Fighter" character. And second, Bryan Lee O'Malley's was dating his future wife, Hope Larson, when he learned she had dated three different guys named Matthew. This led to the idea of a League of Matthews. This idea developed into the League of Evil Exes and Matthew Patel is the only Evil Ex to keep the name Matthew.

Moment of Wonder
I wanted the part where Patel first shows up, but the conclusion of the fight is pretty great too.  I just like the first because as stylized as it is before, this is when reality REALLY goes out the window.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/mtQFz0oPvEU" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/mtQFz0oPvEU</a>

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #78 on: June 19, 2013, 06:45:30 PM »
Hey, I just discover what we bears do in the woods.

Weirdly it's say Mass.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6499
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #79 on: June 19, 2013, 06:53:57 PM »
Never heard of Flight of The Dragons before. And the video isn't working. But the artstyle on that poster makes the movie look like pounded shit, so I think I'll pass.

Offline Starman!

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 359
« Reply #80 on: June 20, 2013, 04:49:34 PM »
Looking for to save my, save my soul...

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1091
  • My name is Raphaël Ambrosius Costeau
« Reply #81 on: June 20, 2013, 05:15:16 PM »
 :highfive: for Flight of Dragons Tripe ;D I love the way the movie works in reasonable scientific explanations for things usually considered fantastical.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #82 on: June 20, 2013, 05:29:37 PM »
Yes it was one of my favourite movies growing up and I still like it, I watch it every couple of years.

Good stuff and the dragons look a lot better in the film than on the poster.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #83 on: June 20, 2013, 05:36:57 PM »
Sorry for the delay.  It seems I kept getting called over to do stuff right after I do something relaxing, right before I get down to it.  On the plus side, I am way ahead on the write ups.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #84 on: June 20, 2013, 05:41:58 PM »
Diving into the split souls, the mindscape takes the form of two spires, slowing tangling into each other and melding. The team considers splitting into 2, but the dungeon master warns them that he's busy and as fun as it would be, he's probably lose track of who was where, so they head into Richardella's soul first.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #85 on: June 20, 2013, 06:32:20 PM »

The battle for Middle Earth is about to begin. All our hopes now lie with two little hobbits, somewhere in the wilderness.

Number 28: Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
(43 points on 4 of 14 lists. Top Vote #5 by Compound)

Plot:   
Sauron's forces increase. His allies grow. The Ringwraiths return in an even more frightening form. Saruman's army of Uruk Hai is ready to launch an assault against Aragorn and the people of Rohan. Yet, the Fellowship is broken and Boromir is dead. For the little hope that is left, Frodo and Sam march on into Mordor, unprotected. A number of new allies join with Aragorn, Gimli, Legolas, Pippin and Merry. And they must defend Rohan and attack Isengard. Yet, while all this is going on, Sauron's troops mass toward the City of Gondor, for the War of the Ring is about to begin.  And now I’ve lossed my troll pewter figures and I’m gonna need them for the battle.  Otherwise, I’m going to need to use these HeroClix.

Ents – HOW’D YOU LIKE IT IF SOMEONE PICKED YOUR APPLES? (Deleted dialogue aimed at Saruman)

Gollum – If you are using “Precious” in the last 9 years, I was staring daggers at you in spirit.

Trivia Notes:
During one of the takes for the scene in which Gollum (Andy Serkis) pulls Frodo (Elijah Wood) and Sam (Sean Astin) back before they run towards the Black Gate, Serkis accidentally pulled Astin's wig off his head. Astin immediately stormed off the set in considerable pain to get the wig re-attached. Serkis thought Astin was angry with him and became angry in response. Later that day they both made up and Astin later remarked that "it was embarrassing" that the incident would be discussed on the DVD release.

Brad Dourif, who played Grima Wormtongue, has a goddaughter named Arwen.
Many of Treebeard's lines come from the book, but were spoken by Tom Bombadil in the first volume.  This becomes confusing when he says "Tom Bombadil is a merry fellow! Bright Blue his jacket is, and his boots are yellow!"

Moment of Wonder
I always liked the Ent battle, but let’s go with the Battle of Helm’s Deep!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Z6XicBBN1l4" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Z6XicBBN1l4</a>

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #86 on: June 20, 2013, 07:55:15 PM »
First the party dives into Richardella's heart.  Most of the party tries to forcefully disentangle it, but nothing seems to be working.  Coal Stratum, knowing better, declares "You should try to force to do anything!  You should make it want to let go."  He than proceeds to sing a sad break-up song and the heart begins to let go.  Finally, the heart is so broken, it has no energy to do anything.

OK, onto the brain.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #87 on: June 20, 2013, 07:55:46 PM »
A philosopher once asked, "Are we human because we gaze at the stars or do we gaze at the stars because we are human?" Pointless really. Do the stars gaze back? Now that's a question.

Number 27: Stardust
(43 points on 4 of 14 lists. Top Vote #2 by Cole Stratton)

Plot:   
The passage from this world to the fantasy kingdom of Stormhold is through a breach in a wall beside an English village. In the 1800s, a boy becomes a man when he ventures through the breech in pursuit of a fallen star, to prove his love for the village beauty. The star is no lump of rock, it's a maiden, Yvaine. Tristan, the youth, is not the only one looking for her: three witches, led by Lamia, want her heart to make them young; and, the sons of the dead king of Stormhold want her because she holds a ruby that will give one of them title to the throne. Assisting Tristan are his mother, the victim of a spell, and a transvestite pirate of the skies. Will Tristan win his true love?

The Star’s Heart – Eat and you live forever or something (sorry, I haven’t seen this one either.  I loved the novella though).

Trivia Notes:
Terry Gilliam was offered the job of directing the movie, but having just finished The Brothers Grimm, wanted a break from fairy tales. That is why the production of this movie wasn’t a constantly imploding disaster.

In the mural painted on the outside wall of The Slaughtered Prince pub, the victorious prince standing over the prince that he has slaughtered has Peter O'Toole's face. The pub name The Slaughtered Prince is a sly reference to the pub The Slaughtered Lamb in An American Werewolf in London.

Michelle Pfeiffer was director Matthew Vaughn's only choice for the role of the witch queen, having been a die-hard fan since first seeing the actress in Grease 2.

Moment of Wonder
Pretty cool sword fight!  And it looks like the princes play a more substantial role here (if memory serves, in the novella they just sort of accidentally die Wile E. Coyote style while hunting for the star and it barely affects the narrative until the end.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/dkdrbg4EwGA" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/dkdrbg4EwGA</a>

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
« Reply #88 on: June 20, 2013, 08:08:51 PM »
I love Stardust, it just doesn't get enough respect.
Opticians are easy on the eyes

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #89 on: June 20, 2013, 08:26:47 PM »
Well, about a third of the lists voted for it, so that's something.