login

Author Topic: R.I.P. Richard Matheson  (Read 512 times)

Johnny Unusual

R.I.P. Richard Matheson
« on: June 24, 2013, 09:52:20 PM »
Arguably one of the greatest sci-fi, fantasy and horror authors died recently, Richard Matheson.  Those who didn't know him should no he wrote many classic Twilight Zone episodes including the classic "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet", "the Invaders" and "Little Girl Lost" as well as many great books (I Am Legend, Hell House), movies (Duel, which in my opinion is one of the most brilliantly simple thrillers of all time), short stories (go and read Born of Man and Woman now!  A fantastic work) and TV (he wrote the TV pilot that became Kolchak: the Night Stalker).

I wish his family the best and I think the best way to pay tribute is to remember his great works.  This weekend I'm gonna take a break from rewatching Lord of the Rings and watch The Legend of Hell House and re-watch Duel.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/rip-richard-matheson,99390/

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
Re: R.I.P. Richard Matheson
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 05:45:11 AM »
Yes a fantastic talent and responsible for so many works that wouldn't seem to come from the same pen if one judged them on their adaptations.

Offline TheUnabeefer

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 937
  • I am a flying cow... worship me or DIE!!!
    • The Unabeefer Beefs
Re: R.I.P. Richard Matheson
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 01:31:52 PM »
Somewhere In Time is still one of the best movies ever...and the saddest.

I always forget he wrote Stir of Echoes, which was the "darker, better, less known" movie in theaters at the time of Sixth Sense. The only movie to ever have unsettled me to the point of sleeplessness.

He also wrote the biopic on L. Frank Baum starring John Ritter and Annette O'Toole.

Oh and all that other stuff too....  He shall be greatly missed.
...and there he was, reigning supreme at number two.  The One... The Only... The Unabeefer.