Author Topic: New MST3K Riffing with Joel and Trace in ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT episode  (Read 4690 times)

Offline Toyland Chairman

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 78
    • Toyland: The First DEMONIC TOYS Homepage
http://www.mst3kinfo.com/?p=15481#comment-363814

Many fans of MST3K are also fans of the comedy series “Arrested Development.” The creators of the show seem to know that.

The show was recently revived and episodes are now viewable on NetFlix. The episodes started streaming this weekend and almost immediately Twitter was ablaze about episode five.

As we understand it (we don’t have NetFlix) the story revolves around a low-budget “Fantastic Four” movie, and the show demonstrates how bad it was by showing a snippet of a supposed episode of MST3K in which they Joel and the bots are riffing it. Joel and Trace made voice cameos, making four riffs. There is reportedly another brief appearance in episode nine.

If Best Brains allowed Joel and Trace to film this, could there be hope for an MST3K reunion movie? If Cinematic Titanic is ending, maybe there’s time now? I don’t know if Mike, Kevin, and Bill could be part of it due to their commitments to Rifftrax, but I’d still watch one with the original cast.
For DEMONIC TOYS and updates on Full Moon Films:
www.freewebs.com/demonictoys/

Offline Starman!

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 359
I love this little cameo

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
If Best Brains allowed Joel and Trace to film this, could there be hope for an MST3K reunion movie? If Cinematic Titanic is ending, maybe there’s time now? I don’t know if Mike, Kevin, and Bill could be part of it due to their commitments to Rifftrax, but I’d still watch one with the original cast.

Yeah I saw this and posted about it last week in the Arrested Development thread in the TV sub forum.  But it's a very brief cameo roughly 10 seconds in length, and an even shorter one a few episodes later.  That's hardly on the same level of committment as doing an entire movie.

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 755
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
Seeing as how Joel gets a check for MSt3k on DVD and the others don't he probably doesn't need special permission. If Joel really wanted to restart MST I seriously doubt he couldn't.
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline TheUnabeefer

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 937
  • I am a flying cow... worship me or DIE!!!
    • The Unabeefer Beefs
Seeing as how Joel gets a check for MSt3k on DVD and the others don't he probably doesn't need special permission. If Joel really wanted to restart MST I seriously doubt he couldn't.

Also, if it was all that easy to get all of them in the same place and at the same time (scheduling and the fact that they all live scattered across the country), CT would probably NOT be ending, considering that seemed to be the biggest reason for disbanding that project.
...and there he was, reigning supreme at number two.  The One... The Only... The Unabeefer.

Offline Toyland Chairman

• Big Montana
Thrifty;

I doubt they'd decide the fait of MST3K on ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT. My point was now that they're doing something with it other than releasing DVDs, maybe there's hope.

MrTorso;

Doesn't Jim Mallon own MST3K? So it's probably his decision. Isn't that why Joel started CINEMATIC TITANIC in the first place?

TheUnabeefer;

A single MST3K movie would've been easier to do than Cinematic Titanic. No one said anything about a whole series or any live shows.

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
Thrifty;

I doubt they'd decide the fait of MST3K on ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT. My point was now that they're doing something with it other than releasing DVDs, maybe there's hope.

But they (the team behind MST3K) isn't doing anything with it.  The team behind Arrested Development is.  The AD team knows how popular (within a certain niche) MST3K is.  They knew what MST3K did (made wisecracks at poorly made movies).  They knew what they were writing (a plot line about an out of work actor and an actress who was in a poorly made Fantastic Four movie).  They put 2 and 2 together and wrote a little scene in which Joel and the robots do a little riffing on the movie created by the Arrested Development team.  I doubt that the MST3K team's involvement went any further than delivering a few lines.  I'd bet that they didn't even meet with the AD people face to face, but rather just recorded a few lines in a remote recording studio (since they weren't actually on screen at any point).

Offline doggans

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 453
  • w00tstock Photobomb is TEARING Zombie Wiseau APAHT
    • doggans.com
I doubt that the MST3K team's involvement went any further than delivering a few lines.  I'd bet that they didn't even meet with the AD people face to face, but rather just recorded a few lines in a remote recording studio (since they weren't actually on screen at any point).

AD producer Jim Valley talked a little bit about it on Frank's facebook page. He didn't mention if they met face to face or not, but he confirmed that he and Mitch Hurwitz wrote the jokes in the scene, and they were beyond delighted to write jokes for Joel and Trace to perform.

Offline Toyland Chairman

• Big Montana
They obviously needed Best Brains blessing first.