Author Topic: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug  (Read 6743 times)

Offline MSTJedi

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 604
  • In a not too distant future far, far away. . . .
    • Facebook
Re: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2013, 08:51:04 AM »

I'm just trying to figure out who the ginger elf is.
And why is she the only one in this entire series who doesn't look like she belongs in Middle Earth?

She is a character created for the films and appears nowhere in the books.
I just meant in her look. I can't really explain it, but she just really stuck out and looked more modern for some reason.

Well, from what I've heard, she does a good job, so at least there's that.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5618
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2013, 09:10:43 AM »

I'm just trying to figure out who the ginger elf is.
And why is she the only one in this entire series who doesn't look like she belongs in Middle Earth?

She is a character created for the films and appears nowhere in the books.
I just meant in her look. I can't really explain it, but she just really stuck out and looked more modern for some reason.

Well, from what I've heard, she does a good job, so at least there's that.
Oh she was pretty badass, I'll give here that. At least, when she wasn't hanging around the jails talking to one of the prisoners for no explicable reason. Or doing the medical speel or whatever it was with the weed that the dwarf was already planning on using.

Quantum Vagina

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2013, 06:46:25 PM »
If I wasn't shy, I'd probably talk to people for no explicable reason. There's nothing wrong with her finding Kili cute and talking to him; he's ruggedly handsome after all.

Speaking of that, it REALLY bothered me that they made a point of using Athelas/Kingsfoil as a healing herb in this. THAT'S ARAGORN'S THING. Or at least the people that are badass in healing. Maybe Tauriel. MAYBE. But the dwarves were the ones who suggested it. Most people are supposed to think it's a weed. >:(

Offline arutha1000

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2013, 09:00:03 AM »
I was quite disappointed in this latest Hobbit film, mostly because it had almost nothing to do with the Hobbit, neither respectful and true the the source material, nor did Bilbo play any significant role in the film. Tauriel was a Mary-Sue character, an over-powered fantasy who has no weaknesses and never does anything wrong. Like with Kings Foil, that wasn't just Aragorn's thing, but almost nobody knew how powerful it was as a healing herb or how to use it.  It healed against wounds of the heart and spirit, not poison or physical wounds. The High Elves knew a bit, but almost nobody else would have known. I don't know if Aragorn knew about it as the leader of the Edain or because of his training from the High Elves, but it really had no place here. So many things stolen directly from the original LoTR series instead of trying to create something that has it's own feel and flavor.

Rather than focus on the many, many things wrong about this over-long, padded film, I'll point out what I liked. Smaug was pretty cool, as was Sauron. I liked the fact that the dwarves were not passive losers like in the book, letting Bilbo do everything for them. That they actually fought Smaug to reclaim their home instead of just letting him leave and hoping to never see him again was a big improvement. They tried to add depth to the Elven king, which was also a nice touch.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2013, 12:08:21 PM »
Was that silly giant golden statue in the book?

Offline arutha1000

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2013, 02:16:56 PM »
No giant golden statues in the book. That's something added in by PJ and co. At least, it's not something specifically mentioned, but there are all kinds of gold and jewels and other crafts made by dwarves throughout the place in the book.

Quantum Vagina

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2013, 02:44:48 PM »
I really didn't mind that it wasn't a spot on adaptation to the book. I think that it was a MUCH better movie than An Unexpected Journey, mainly because it wasn't padded to hell and back, accomplishing very little over it's two and a half hour run time. Desolation actually felt like it WENT somewhere, because a lot more ground was covered, and the action sequences weren't drawn out to fill the run time; each one was unique and interesting in it's own way. The barrel scene was REALLY fun, and probably one of my favorite action sequences of the year. Bombur is... a badass. And that's awesome.

I generally think that following source material too closely can be a huge problem. Tolkien's works have been plundered and pillaged for ideas and stories more than anything else I can think of, and they revolutionized the fantasy genre. I love getting to see characters act in a way that maybe I wouldn't have expected, or put in situations that are close, but not exactly the same as what was in my head. I had that feeling with the Harry Potter movies, too. By about the third film, they were based very loosely on the books, but the quality of the movies kept improving and improving. But let me be clear: there's a fine line between trying new ideas and having fun with the source material, and completely butchering it. I thought that Desolation was an incredibly fun and entertaining movie.

Offline Road_Element

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 51
  • The Names Servo, Tom Servo
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2013, 03:49:34 PM »
Overall i enjoyed both Movies. But i agree they could have done this in one or two movies. Or at the very least cut these down to 2 hour movies. Also it felt like the Dragon fight went on for far too long.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 1461
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2013, 05:01:48 PM »
While I liked both these films, I really wonder how the next one is going to be a whole movie.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2013, 05:55:33 PM »
Supposedly it's going to be a lot of the "bridge material" between this and LOTR.

Offline anais.butterfly

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1382
  • Monkey Brains!
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2013, 08:10:07 PM »
I read that the Battle of the Five Armies will be the climax of the third movie.
Anais is the Coolest Butterfly I know  ;D

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2013, 08:27:30 PM »
I read that the Battle of the Five Armies will be the climax of the third movie.
Oh good, a big battle scene. How fresh and original.

Offline Henry88

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 618
  • Riff Super Monsters
« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2013, 04:43:26 PM »

Offline The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4309
« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2013, 06:09:25 PM »
Technically speaking, when has a author ever liked a movie adaptation of their work?

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 1185
« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2013, 07:29:04 PM »
Neil Gaiman on Stardust:
It was terrifying, in terms of sitting there. I was allowed to invite 50 friends -- not that anybody made that sort of an arbitrary rule, it was just that that was what you could fit into the screening theater -- so I invited 50 of my friends and I'm sitting there just praying that this thing was going to be good, and if it wasn't I would have 50 friends who would either, depending on the friend, give me serious sh*t about it, or just be terribly, terribly polite, and I'm not sure which one would have been worse. I loved it, but I really was holding my breath until my friends started coming out of the thing and just loving it, and coming up and telling me how much they loved it. That was sort of, that was the point where I was like, "okay, I can breath now." I thought it was magic, you know? It was an astonishingly… it's weird, I was going to say it was an astonishingly faithful film, but that makes it sound like one of those films like "Rosemary's Baby" or even like "Sin City" where if you've read the book or comic there's no real point in seeing the film because there's nothing that you won't have seen before, and vice versa. They don't do it like that. If you have read the book there's going to be a lot of surprises, but having said that, it's astonishingly faithful to the spirit of the book. There's no doubt that what you're watching here is absolutely "Stardust" and that makes me so happy.