login

Author Topic: Man of Steel  (Read 11091 times)

Offline ManUnderMask

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 151
Re: Man of Steel
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2013, 10:31:11 PM »
I liked it, but I was very underwhelmed by it, which is sad because Superman is tied with Captain America as my favorite superhero.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 10:32:53 PM by ManUnderMask »
I survived the San Diego Comic Con 2010 Hall H stabbing.

Offline KidFlash

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 173
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2013, 10:41:08 PM »
The tonal shift is what got me, but that's merely my love of the Donner film shining through. Grinned like an idiot at the end, though.

Deadline is now reporting that the film will clear $50m today and $130m for the weekend. At those numbers, that Justice League movie will be all-but greenlit next month at Comic-Con.

Offline Sugar Ray Dodge

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 541
    • Utah Graphics World
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2013, 12:30:15 AM »
Saw it twice on opening day. Loved it. Not gonna write some TLDR thesis about it. It wasn't the Donner film, but it wasn't trying to be. And it didn't need to be. This is the best movie I've seen all year long. I can't think of another film I've enjoyed more in the last five years. Awesome.

Offline Henry88

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 623
  • Riff Super Monsters
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2013, 12:25:53 PM »
ROBOT CO-OP IS GAMING COMEDY
https://robotco-op.com/

Offline Henry88

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Riff Super Monsters
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2013, 06:00:01 PM »
Bleeding Cool:
Report: Man Of Steel Sequel In 2014, Justice League In 2015
Quote from: Brendon Connelly
When it comes to shared-universe comic book movies – which are, like, so in right now – Warner Bros. are definitely playing catch up. But they do seem to be moving with competitive speed.

According to “knowledgeable people close to the studio,” and quoted by The Wall Street Journal, Warners are looking to fast track a sequel to Man of Steel for release in 2014. That would probably mean they have to get into production in the next six, maybe nine months and skimp on CG postproduction time. And that would be the end of 2014, I’d expect, not the summer.

Furthermore, the nameless, knowledgable ones say that the Justice League movie:

could come out as soon as 2015.

Which is actually what we were expecting a half-dozen set backs ago. I guess box office like Man of Steel‘s can really light a fire.

Films can be turned around this quickly and still turn out well, but I am always disappointed by the studios’ insistance on setting release dates before they even have screenplays, let alone actual films.

If Warner Bros. really want to play Marvel at their own game expect locked-in release dates announced by, or maybe at, San Diego Comic-Con.
WSJ:
'Man of Steel' May Give DC Comics More Superpowers
Quote from: BEN FRITZ
Warner is already in development on a sequel to "Man of Steel" and is expected to fast track that for release as soon as 2014, said knowledgeable people close to the studio. In addition, it has long been developing a "Justice League" team-up movie featuring characters such as the Flash and Wonder Woman that could come out as soon as 2015.
People close to Warner and the film's production offered slightly different estimates for its final cost, ranging between $225 million and $270 million

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5901
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2013, 08:37:41 PM »
I hope they don't rush out a Superman sequel for 2014. Concentrate on the writing first!

Offline Sugar Ray Dodge

• Not Hurt By Pain
    • Utah Graphics World
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2013, 08:49:45 PM »
I hope they don't rush out a Superman sequel for 2014. Concentrate on the writing first!

I agree. I even think a 2015 sequel would be too soon. Get the story right.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5901
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2013, 09:16:41 PM »
And if they want to get it out faster, how about NOT making two and a half goddamn hours long!

Offline Sugar Ray Dodge

• Not Hurt By Pain
    • Utah Graphics World
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2013, 08:40:27 AM »
And if they want to get it out faster, how about NOT making two and a half goddamn hours long!

I didn't mind the length, tone or the CGI as much as eveybody else. In fact, there's nothing about the movie I didn't like. ...well, the fact that several thousand people died in Metropolis was slightly mortifying, so I hope so many buildings don't fall over next time. That being said though, I think the next movie will be a somewhat lighter affair. I'm hoping Aquaman shows up. :)

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 995
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2013, 12:55:35 PM »
That being said though, I think the next movie will be a somewhat lighter affair. I'm hoping Aquaman shows up. :)

Go watch Firehead then. He shows up there.

Offline Henry88

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Riff Super Monsters
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2013, 06:10:07 PM »
Brainiac Darkseid  or Doomsday

Offline pezdrake

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 23
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2013, 08:08:45 PM »
I'm amazed at these good reviews. I would have walked out if my wife didnt want to stay. Close to being as bad as Superman Returns. 4 out of 10 score. Keep in mind though that I'm a big fan if the comics. 

And let me add that I do not think this movie will hold up well with time.

Offline Sugar Ray Dodge

• Not Hurt By Pain
    • Utah Graphics World
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2013, 08:21:02 PM »
I'm amazed at these good reviews. I would have walked out if my wife didnt want to stay. Close to being as bad as Superman Returns. 4 out of 10 score. Keep in mind though that I'm a big fan if the comics. 

And let me add that I do not think this movie will hold up well with time.

I don't ever really expect comic book fans to like anything ever. Even comic books. :P (I kid, but it is kinda true ;) Comic books fans are a very hard-to-please bunch.)

I was at my comic book store today, and the guy there had some genuine gripes about it I hadn't heard before, which I give him credit for, he wasn't just making the same complaints about BAH THIS WASN'T THE DONNER MOVIES BLAH BLAH BLAH! But I think its important to remember that films are not comics, and to expect them to be exactly like comics is unrealistic.

I get that a lot of people went into the movie with a long list of expectations of what they thought the movie should be, and when the movie WASN'T that, people call foul and forget to judge the movie on its own merits. I think if people can remove themselves from what they thought the movie should have been, they might be able to enjoy this movie better, because it really was a lot of fun.

Offline tejava joe

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 38
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2013, 12:00:50 AM »
Sucked.  The only good thing was Kevin Costner.  None of the other characters had any FLAVOR. 

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2013, 01:34:22 AM »
Finally caught this one, and I quite liked it. It was essentially 90% spectacle (and dove headfirst into things at a remarkable pace), and it really is rather light on the story front. It was all about building up Clark Kent in terms of who, what, and why he is who he is, though, and in that respect I think it did a good job. Plus Michael Shannon totally killed it as Zod, but then, that's what Michael Shannon always does. I'm just glad that dude is finally in the big leagues (in terms of mainstream acceptance).