Author Topic: Any interest in an Amazon Instant Video player?  (Read 2264 times)

Offline Ted3k

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 3
Any interest in an Amazon Instant Video player?
« on: May 25, 2013, 01:24:33 PM »
I've worked out the main concepts behind a Rifftrax player that works with Amazon streaming videos, IE Prime, but I wonder if there's any interest. I noticed that someone posted a player that worked with rental videos that languished.

After decompiling the flash player, I found that an external interface is exposed if the startState=1 variable in flashVars is changed to startState=4. The external interface does all that's needed, such as getting position, seeking position, setting volume, controlling playback and fullscreen, accessible through javascript.

In order to change the variable, I used Privoxy. I then created a proof of concept .net app with a web browser control going through Privoxy (global IE setting), and a timer that showed the current player position. After that, it would be a matter of the app playing the mp3 in a WMP control and seeking it to match the video position. The app could detect what video is playing and see if it has any matching commentaries.

The initial setup with Privoxy is clunky but after that it would be pretty neat.

Offline Feek

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
Re: Any interest in an Amazon Instant Video player?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 12:05:02 AM »
If you still want to do this, email me and I'll help you put something together.

Offline haknudsen

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 01:25:56 AM »
I use Amazon all the time and am heading toward just buying videos through Prime.  I'd love to have this

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1464
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 04:18:43 PM »
That's pretty cool stuff!

I mainly do my own reauthors or use the RiffSync software on OSX, but having an option for stuff I have on Amazon would be pretty sweet!

Offline Ted3k

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2013, 04:11:35 PM »
Glad to see some interest. If someone wants to run with this, go ahead. Code attached. I think a major hurdle is to get Privoxy out of the equation since it's kind of a PITA, and it'll be hard to get adoption with a bad UX.

Don't download this and expect it to play your commentary tracks just yet. It's just a POC that shows interaction with the Amazon player.

Amazon changed the html a bit since a few months back so it's likely that'll happen again, requiring updates to the Privoxy config and maybe the flash object name.

I may work on it if I find the time.

Setup:

1. Download and install Privoxy.

2. Set Privoxy config per privoxy setup.png.

3. Set proxy config per privoxy setup.png. This affects IE and Chrome.

4. Run Amazon Riffplayer. It'll try to load Captain America.

5. Play video. Timer will pull metadata. Progress bars can be clicked to seek and set volume.

Note: Privoxy is working and setting startState=4 if the amazon player doesn't show any onscreen controls

Todo:

* Find a way to change startState=1 to startState=4 without Privoxy, since setup process is not ideal and it takes over chrome and IE settings.
   Finding a way to modify rendered html with IE control was a nogo some months ago.
   Maybe use a firefox extension like adblock/Greasemonkey or whatever can alter incoming html/js, then a remote control extension like MozRepl
   Maybe a Firefox fork (PITA)
* Load .sync files
* Play commentary in WMP control (with ducking for bonus points)
* Create .amazon files that correspond to .sync files, with URL inside
* Show .sync/amazon files in dropdown, allow user to load sync file and navigate to URL
* Great iRiff possibilites!
* Public server for easy client management of sync/amazon files
* etc

Offline torgosPizza

• Administrator
  • Liked: 236
  • Heaven is nowhere, just look to the stars.
    • RiffTrax
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 10:50:42 AM »
This is pretty cool! I'd like to dig into it a bit more once I have some time. Would love to find a way to integrate this with our other player.