login

Author Topic: New VOD "Dr. Who and the Daleks" Now Available!!!  (Read 17417 times)

Offline Trekker4747

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 467
Re: New VOD "Dr. Who and the Daleks" Now Available!!!
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2013, 12:49:29 PM »
Where can I get that Anti-Canon Worry Drug that was given to Bill during this riff? I want to go see the new Star Trek movie again this weekend and that drug may help me enjoy it more.

Offline Sugar Ray Dodge

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 541
    • Utah Graphics World
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2013, 01:41:00 PM »
Where can I get that Anti-Canon Worry Drug that was given to Bill during this riff? I want to go see the new Star Trek movie again this weekend and that drug may help me enjoy it more.

Here's what you gotta do with that mess: Do not associate when the Star Trek you know and love in any way, and you won't be let down. It's what I do.

Offline eegah

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 278
    • My MST3K Movie Poster Collection
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2013, 02:43:31 PM »

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5901
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2013, 09:30:03 PM »
So why exactly did they decide to make a non-canon Dr. Who movie? Change what was interesting, and jetison what little parts had any credibility the TV series had built up.

Offline McGrignr

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2013, 11:42:57 PM »
1) Daleks were really, really popular at the time. The producers wanted to get in on that box-office gold quickly. It apparently worked well enough to fund a sequel movie.
2) The actual Doctor Who cast was busy filming the TV show, so they dropped canon to recast all the actors and change character details for first-time viewers. The Daleks were the main attraction, and those weren't changed too much from their canon form. Also, they could be filmed in colour! The TV show remained black and white for another five years or so.
3) And because this particular story was already told in canon form on TV. With a few things changed around and squished together, it's basically just a retelling of the 5th through 11th episodes of the first season.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 11:58:49 PM by McGrignr »

Offline Trekker4747

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 467
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2013, 03:22:46 AM »
So why exactly did they decide to make a non-canon Dr. Who movie? Change what was interesting, and jetison what little parts had any credibility the TV series had built up.

My understanding is that Dr. Who had some rights containment issues back in the day.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2386
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2013, 04:17:17 AM »
It was great fun to see this just one day after going to ComicPalooza in Houston, and actually interacting with a Dalek on the convention floor.  (The fan made, fully interactive costume version was pretty much indistinguishable from the Daleks in the movie, except it had a bow tie, possibly an attempt to mock the Doctor.)

« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 12:12:47 AM by RoninFox »
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline CatholicFan

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2013, 07:52:24 PM »
I have a quick question about this one.  Is Dr. Who and the Daleks in the public domain, or is it something Rifftrax (Legend Films) negotiated the rights on for a digital release?  I guess I always assumed all of the VODs that the guys do were just public domain films where the rights had expired or something, but I know for certain that the Daleks, at the very least, are still owned by the estate of Terry Nation.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5901
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2013, 08:46:37 PM »
I have a quick question about this one.  Is Dr. Who and the Daleks in the public domain, or is it something Rifftrax (Legend Films) negotiated the rights on for a digital release?  I guess I always assumed all of the VODs that the guys do were just public domain films where the rights had expired or something, but I know for certain that the Daleks, at the very least, are still owned by the estate of Terry Nation.
The first few VODs were in public domain, but they have been paying for the rights to many of the more recent ones.

Offline Jason Martian

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 201
  • He who laughs last, thinks slowest.
    • The Martian's web site
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2013, 10:50:08 AM »
It was almost as good as...

Offline Jason Martian

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 201
  • He who laughs last, thinks slowest.
    • The Martian's web site
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2013, 10:59:09 AM »
Interesting... off topic but my image in my signature is no longer working.  :o