Author Topic: Penn and Teller: BS!  (Read 31316 times)

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 356
Re: Penn and Teller: BS!
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2007, 06:10:19 AM »
Fair enough.

Moon Landing Hoax, good analogy.

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 356
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2007, 06:12:53 AM »
Pretty much from the first season I have wanted them to do Lie Detectors.

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 415
  • Prepare to die, obviously!
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2007, 06:16:00 AM »

Oooo... that WOULD be a good one.
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline RandyMistie

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 116
  • Hello!
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2007, 06:24:36 AM »

Or, fingerprints!  There has been quite some rumblings about for the last few years that fingerprint analysis is somewhat less than the exact science that we have been led to believe.  Some of the stuff I have read and seen is quite scary.
Hi!  I'm Randy and I'm a Riffaholic...

Offline pyro

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2007, 02:58:23 PM »
Penn and Teller believe that terrorists did 9/11... the ultimate BULLSHIT.

What a positively ridiculous statement.

Leaving aside the fact that whoever did it would in fact be a terrorist. What does your truther rubbish tell you in response to Al Qaeda through Al Jazerra et al promoting and taking credit for the act?

Responding to that nonsense is a waste of your time and energy. People who buy into the 9/11 conspiracy theory garbage have no credibility to call their own, so they attempt to steal it from rational people by engaging them in debate, believing (quite mistakenly) that credibility rubs off. They are on the same level as "the moon landing was faked" nuts and Holocaust deniers, and the best course of action is simply to ignore them.

Such a shame there won't be another Joe Rogan moon landing debate....  though the second one I thought he was losing ground fast...

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2007, 03:49:13 PM »

ive never seen this show, but from what you all are saying it sounds interesting.  I too have always been very skeptical about lie detectors.  I also am very curious about the wlamart bashing episode someone mentioned. 

ps everyone knows the moon isnt real, its a collective mass illusion that some people have chosen to beleive in. 

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2007, 06:09:42 AM »
Penn and Teller believe that terrorists did 9/11... the ultimate BULLSHIT.

What a positively ridiculous statement.

Leaving aside the fact that whoever did it would in fact be a terrorist. What does your truther rubbish tell you in response to Al Qaeda through Al Jazerra et al promoting and taking credit for the act?

Responding to that nonsense is a waste of your time and energy. People who buy into the 9/11 conspiracy theory garbage have no credibility to call their own, so they attempt to steal it from rational people by engaging them in debate, believing (quite mistakenly) that credibility rubs off. They are on the same level as "the moon landing was faked" nuts and Holocaust deniers, and the best course of action is simply to ignore them.

Such a shame there won't be another Joe Rogan moon landing debate....  though the second one I thought he was losing ground fast...

I WILL say that Rogan acquitted himself very well in those discussions, especially when one considers that his position on the issue is completely wrong; that's actually quite an achievement.
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2007, 06:14:36 AM »

ive never seen this show, but from what you all are saying it sounds interesting.  I too have always been very skeptical about lie detectors.  I also am very curious about the wlamart bashing episode someone mentioned. 

ps everyone knows the moon isnt real, its a collective mass illusion that some people have chosen to beleive in. 

Be warned; some episodes may not suit your taste. I strongly disagree with their opinion on the death penalty (although I thought the episode was really good); and in the second season, they debunk the Bible (I LOVED it, but you might not).

- Conan O'Brien

• Compsognathus
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2007, 06:15:53 AM »
how did they "debunk" the bible??

Whats their stance on the death penalty?

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2007, 06:23:55 AM »
how did they "debunk" the bible??

You'd kinda have to see the episode.

Whats their stance on the death penalty?

They're against it. Ironically, I'm for it for many of the same reasons they cite for their opposition.

BTW, if you go to www.sho.com, there's a listing of episodes, along with some video previews.

- Conan O'Brien

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 3
  • May the Porkins be with you.
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2007, 02:41:45 PM »
I WILL say that Rogan acquitted himself very well in those discussions, especially when one considers that his position on the issue is completely wrong; that's actually quite an achievement.

In a college public speaking class I gave a speech arguing that the moon landing was hoaxed. I don't really believe it, but it was something fun and different to talk about.

Offline ChrisHanel

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2007, 04:02:06 PM »
That was like when I was in debate in high school and had to arguing for more censorship and regulation on TV. Not only did I not believe the point I was making, but I trounced the guy I was debating and some people said later they were compelled by the stuff I said. Didn't sleep well after that... if there's ever an A grade that I could give back it would be that one.

Offline pyro

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2007, 02:46:53 PM »
I feel inspired, next time I get the chance in school I'm going to attempt to prove that the world is flat or that gravity doesn't exist based on arguments from http://fstdt.com

• Compsognathus
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2007, 03:22:43 PM »
actually do gravity doesnt exist as laid out in the book

the dilbert future.

which is a hilarious book, although the part to which i am referring isnt a joke. 

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2007, 04:05:27 AM »
in the second season, they debunk the Bible

Laughing already, must find it.
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)