login

Author Topic: Penn and Teller: BS!  (Read 32093 times)

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
Re: Penn and Teller: BS!
« Reply #300 on: January 16, 2009, 03:33:35 PM »
Which is exactly how people argue against nuclear power.

It's not that people really mind nuclear power they hate nuclear power stations that are administered in a half-assed way.

I disagree. People who bag on nuclear power generally don't know much about the practical parts of how it actually works. Opposition to nuclear power stems largely from the anti-nuclear weapons movement, despite the fact that those two things have nothing to do with one another.

Oh I think there is a lot of truth to that, but what I mean is the examples often given, Chernobyl, three mile island that sort of thing are examples of craply run nuclear power. France has tons of NP plants with very few hitches.  :)

Offline Chaos

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3
  • Danger Zone!
    • The Literal Truth
« Reply #301 on: January 16, 2009, 03:39:39 PM »
That is true, but you can't say that "capital punishment is wrong because the legal system can fail." That is not a valid argument.

You can, however, say, "Capital punishment is not a good idea RIGHT NOW because the legal system can fail." See the difference?

The fact that the legal system can fail does not make capital punishment itself wrong.

In other words, the problem is practical, rather than philosophical. It seems you and I agree on this.

Somebody circle the calendar. ;)
"First there was Chaos, the vast immeasurable abyss, Outrageous as a sea, dark, wasteful, wild." -Milton

Offline DarthChimay

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 0
  • How can a Pope be such a hottie?
« Reply #302 on: January 16, 2009, 11:09:25 PM »
I don't know why we're wasting our time on such trivial matters as the death penalty and nucular power when we should be talking about their single most important episode ever on the legalization of prostitution.

I really wanted to link to that episode but for some strange reason, it isn't up on Youtube.

Offline Chaos

• Dragon Ryder
  • Danger Zone!
    • The Literal Truth
« Reply #303 on: January 17, 2009, 05:44:58 AM »
Frankly, I'm amazed the government (or anyone else) thinks it's their business to tell consenting adults what they can and can't do behind closed doors. If they HAVE to be involved, the way in which it's handled in Nevada is pretty much perfect - regulation for the purpose of everyones' protection.
"First there was Chaos, the vast immeasurable abyss, Outrageous as a sea, dark, wasteful, wild." -Milton

Offline DarthChimay

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • How can a Pope be such a hottie?
« Reply #304 on: January 17, 2009, 12:30:03 PM »
I'm not amazed that the government does it. Well, let me clarify - I'm not amazed that there are people in the government who make it their mission in life to tell consenting adults what they can and can't do. So many religions extort their followers to go out and make the world a more moral place, allowing them to blithely tromp over the freedom of others with their own draconian morals that aren't even in their religious texts in the first place.

Huh, that was a little more rant-y than I intended...

Offline Plastic Self-Cleaning Duck

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 2
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #305 on: January 17, 2009, 02:51:22 PM »
Speaking of "BS", can I just say that Penn Gillette's singing on "Don't Forget The Lyrics!" last night wasn't bad enough....

They brought along Carrot Top!  AND HE SANG!!!!!!!!!

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3894
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #306 on: May 12, 2009, 08:57:53 AM »
Just got Disc 1 of Season 6 and already episode 1 looks Quite Interesting.. :o :P

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #307 on: May 05, 2010, 06:12:26 PM »
Season 7 is out and episode 1 is.. WOW!! :o

Offline Chaos

• Dragon Ryder
  • Danger Zone!
    • The Literal Truth
« Reply #308 on: May 08, 2010, 06:39:02 AM »
Uh... Season 7 started last June. The whole thing already aired. Or were you talking about on DVD?

We always loved the show, but I think they're actually getting a bit formulaic now, and not as hard hitting as they used to be. The episode on the Vatican from S7 was pretty good though.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #309 on: May 08, 2010, 06:44:36 AM »
Uh... Season 7 started last June. The whole thing already aired. Or were you talking about on DVD?

DVD.. I can't afford no Showtime :-[

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1513
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #310 on: May 08, 2010, 09:46:01 AM »

DVD.. I can't afford no Showtime :-[

I just remembered that I can watch this again! (The wife getting hired by Comcast means I get Showtime for free!) 

Netflix has a bunch on Watch Instantly as well.

Offline The Lady Rommel

• Sparkles in Sunlight
« Reply #311 on: May 08, 2010, 11:03:04 AM »
I had Showtime for a year and discovered this show quite by accident.  The first episode I saw was the Astrology episode.  I'm into Astrology myself, but it didn't bother me any...it was quite funny.  Glad to see some fans here.  Everybody I know personally who's seen the show has been offended. 

I admit alot of my friends are small-minded and prudish.  I wonder what they think of me....

Been meaning to get the DVDs and start on some older episodes.
I don't see race.  People tell me I'm white and I believe them because I watch Antiques Roadshow.

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 765
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #312 on: May 21, 2010, 09:41:21 PM »

We always loved the show, but I think they're actually getting a bit formulaic now, and not as hard hitting as they used to be. The episode on the Vatican from S7 was pretty good though.

That episode is NOT on the DVDs. It isn't even listed on the Showtime site anymore.
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #313 on: May 21, 2010, 10:20:56 PM »

That episode is NOT on the DVDs. It isn't even listed on the Showtime site anymore.
Yeah, they had a couple of episodes from some other show on the 2nd DVD and I just left them off when I made my backup :-\

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #314 on: February 05, 2012, 01:05:37 PM »
Ok so I guess I missed the announcement
On April 14, 2011, Penn announced that Bullshit! has ended and a new show Penn & Teller: Tell a Lie would begin on The Discovery Channel.
I was searching for a Season 9 DVD release date and came across this.. :-[

I haven't seen the new show 'Tell a Lie' so is it similar to Bull Sh*t?
I'm sure it's less profane but does it still have the same type of appeal as Bull Shit did?