Author Topic: LoC 70: Top 50 Musicals!  (Read 24103 times)

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 999
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
Re: LoC 70: Top 50 Musicals!
« Reply #75 on: May 22, 2013, 10:03:19 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/xIjobdArtiA?version=3&amp;" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/xIjobdArtiA?version=3&amp;</a>

Number 22 : The Sound of Music
(43 points on 2 of 12 lists. Top Vote #1 by Kete)

Synopsis:
An Austrian nun is assigned to assist a local widower with seven children and work as their governess. Although initially wary, the children take to her and learn to sing. Later, when Colonel von Trapp returns from a trip, he discovers the children's new musical talent. He is urged to enter the children in a musical festival. Maria and the Colonel fall in love and are soon married.

But as they return from their honeymoon, they discover that the Anschluss has occurred and the Nazis are now running Austria. The Germans wish for von Trapp to join the German navy, but he resists, claiming his need to perform in the music festival. The defer the enlistment until after the festival. The von Trapps then use the festival as a diversion, allowing the family to escape to Switzerland and freedom.

Memorable Songs:
As one of the best known musicals, pretty much everything. "Climb Every Mountain." "Edelweiss." "My Favorite Things." "The Lonely Goatherd" "Sixteen Going on Seventeen." "How Do You Solve a Problem Like Maria?" "So Long, Farewell." Oh, and the title song, of course.

Awards:
Some Oscars. No big deal.

Trivia Notes:
In reality, von Trapp was born in Italy so was technically an Italian citizen as well. When recalled by the Germans, he and his family instead took a train to Italy in the middle of the day instead. The Nazis still regarded him as a criminal though and when Italy joined the Axis, the von Trapps left for America. Not quite as exciting a story, huh?

One of the children is still alive at this time, although 3 of the four children that von Trapp and Maria produced are still alive.

Coming Soon:
So, did you make a guess at what musical I referred to with my Utah reference? Well, it wasn't the one with missionaries.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5879
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #76 on: May 22, 2013, 10:05:54 PM »
Funny about A Hard Day's Night, after saying Spinal Tap doesn't count, I included this one.  But this is a very odd film.  It doesn't have much of a story, and it's really more of a fun rump with some musical interludes.  But I will say it's more of one than Tap, because it's really about running from song to bit to song to bit and has much more of the rhythm of a musical, in my opinion.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #77 on: May 22, 2013, 10:11:23 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/f9tiaPQLtOE?version=3&amp;" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/f9tiaPQLtOE?version=3&amp;</a>

Number 21 : Alferd Packer: The Musical
(aka Cannibal! The Musical!)
(44 points on 4 of 12 lists. Top Vote #11 by Compound)

Synopsis:
In 1873, a group of miners in Provo, Utah heard of a gold strike in Breckenridge, Colorado Territory and decide to head that way to make their claim. They hire Alferd Packer to lead them there since he's had experience in the area. They head off on the three week journey to Breckenridge. Four weeks later, they determine that they are lost. The miners encounter a group of trappers, who are hostile to the miners, but who seem to like Packer's horse. The horde disappears soon after. after crossing the Colorado River, the party stumbles across a group of Indians, who bring them to their village to wait out the winter storms. But Packer urges the party to follow the trappers, who he believe have his horse. After encountering a cyclops, the party is lost, cold, frostbitten and hungry. After one party member is shot for his incessant cheerfulness, the party resorts to eating him. Packer leaves to find signs of life, but when he returns, he discovers that the rest of the party has been slain by the prospective preacher, whom Packer kills in self defense.

After returning to Saguche, Packer is jailed for cannibalism, but is saved by a reporter who has taken a shine to him and convinced the Governor that Packer could not be jailed for the crime since Colorado  was not a state at the time. Packer is freed, the evil head trapper is dispatched and the still living Shannon Wilson Bell lurks, still not quite dead.

Memorable Songs:
Aside from the far too catchy "Let's Build a Snowman", the most recognizable song would be "Shpadoinkle", Packer's made up word that celebrates all that makes the world shpadoinkly. It's also memorable as part of it is used for the production logo that shows up in every episode of South Park.

Awards:
None, although Troma considers it to be part of their "Tromasterpiece" collection as it's  one of their best films. Not really a high bar there...

Trivia Notes:
Alferd Packer is a bit of a cult hero at the University of Colorado Boulder. In 1968, the students voted to name the grill in the UMC after him, much to the annoyance of the regents of the school. Since then, however, they've warmed to the name and CU has an Alferd Packer day every spring.

Since the film's release, there have been several stage productions of Cannibal, including a run in the West End. (That got cancelled by the way.)

The opening scene of Cannibal was staged to be a reference to the Star Trek episode "The Cage." It also included several members of Parker's family.

Finally, the original commentary track for the DVD was performed by the cast members who did a drunk commentary, with more and more alcohol being consumed as the commentary progressed. As a side note, during the time where Stone and Parker attended CU, a number of comics in the student newspaper also did drunk comics where the cartoonists would start drinking as they made their comics, to rather unartistic  results. Hmmm.....

Coming Soon:
#20-11! New York! London! Paris! Los Ang... wait. We've been to all these places before! What the hell, musicals? Well, join us next time as we revisit all the same places that we've already been to. See you then for a deja vu filled list!

MightyJack

« Reply #78 on: May 22, 2013, 11:31:24 PM »
Surpised A Hard Days Night didn't rank higher.

And while my definition might be broader, I stand by my selection of Spinal Tap. And since it's here it must have been okay according to the rules established for the thread.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #79 on: May 23, 2013, 12:37:46 AM »
I think it's more about popular demand.  Anyway, it's certainly not something I'm upset about being there and I can certainly understand someone thinking of it as a musical.  It's sort of like if you magically summoned all the great blues musicians of all time and Janis Joplin showed up.

"Well, I wouldn't call you music blues... but I guess you have blues influences.  And... you know... who is going to say no, because you are awesome.  Close enough!"

MightyJack

« Reply #80 on: May 23, 2013, 01:12:13 AM »
^Just wait, If my #5 makes it...  ;)

Guys and Dolls - movie is different than the stage play, has a few different songs (though I do like the the ones they wrote for Brando) but in each it's Stubby Kaye who steals the show

Edit: So why can't I get a youtube vid to show? Eh, here's the link...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7kzsZreG0o
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 01:17:05 AM by George Harrison »

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #81 on: May 23, 2013, 05:16:09 AM »
Shrek: The Musical (sigh)
Actually a fairly fun musical, just not really top shelf, you know?

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #82 on: May 23, 2013, 05:50:26 AM »
Funny about A Hard Day's Night, after saying Spinal Tap doesn't count, I included this one.
I don't really think either are musicals.

Love Hair shame the film doesn't have Going Down in it though, love that song, sing it often.

Wicked is great in that it eliminates a lot of the self indulgent bits from the novel, although that's  part of a abridgement which is a bit of a two edged sword. I'd like to see a film that restored some of the other things the stage version cuts (like Fiyero's actual appearance, which is difficult to convey on stage). Nessa and Boq's section of Dancing Through Life always gives me tear prickles*.

Always wished there had been a part of The Undiscovered Country in which Edelweiss was sung in Klingon....

*and that's not the only part that does that.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 06:34:17 AM by Tripe H. Redux »

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3596
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #83 on: May 23, 2013, 06:20:57 AM »
I also would have voted for Spinal Tap! if I thought it was a musical.

Not much love for Julie Andrews? Only two other people voted for V/V and SoM? I guess I understand fewer votes for Victor Victoria (go see it now if you haven't), but only one other vote for Sound of Music?

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #84 on: May 23, 2013, 06:28:52 AM »
Never saw it.  I had enough musicals for a full list, but in general that genre is a blind spot for me.

EDIT: Actually, I just remembered that I bought it for my mum for Mother's Day.

Offline anais.butterfly

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1382
  • Monkey Brains!
« Reply #85 on: May 23, 2013, 11:36:42 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/_m0yN3j7fLU?hl=en_US&amp;" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/_m0yN3j7fLU?hl=en_US&amp;</a>

Number 27 : Guys and Dolls
(36 points on 3 of 12 lists. Top Vote #13 by George Harrison)

I prefer Mark Hamil's version:

Luke be a Jedi toooooooooooooooonight
Just be a Jedi tooooooooooooooooonight
Do it for Yoda while we get our guests a soda!
Anais is the Coolest Butterfly I know  ;D

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #86 on: May 23, 2013, 12:53:12 PM »
Not much love for Julie Andrews? Only two other people voted for V/V and SoM? I guess I understand fewer votes for Victor Victoria (go see it now if you haven't), but only one other vote for Sound of Music?

Overexposure perhaps. I've seen it a few dozen times over the years and familiarity breed contempt sometimes.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #87 on: May 23, 2013, 07:33:52 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/pOgP3f3519I?hl=en_US&amp;" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/pOgP3f3519I?hl=en_US&amp;</a>

Number 20: Bye Bye Birdie
(46 points on 3 of 12 lists. Top Vote #7 by Compound)

Synopsis:
In the 1950s, teen heart throb Conrad Birdie is set to be drafted into the army, leaving his manager Albert in trouble. But before Conrad heads into the service, Albert and his secretary/finance Rose concoct a final publicity stunt- Conrad will sing a final song and give a lucky fan a kiss on the Ed Sullivan Show.

The lucky girl is Kim McAfee, from Sweet Apple Ohio, and Conrad descends on the town and moves into her house, much to the disgust of Kim's father. Albert's overbearing mother, Mae, then appears, intending to break up Rose and Albert's relationship. Kim' boyfriend Hugo is also none too pleased and together he and Rose plan to ruin the broadcast. Conrad sings on the Ed Sullivan Show and as he prepares to kiss Kim, Hugo appears and decks him. Rosie and Kim break up with Albert and Hugo.

After recovering, Conrad decides to have one last wild night before he's inducted. The teens follow and Mr. McAfee laments about the state of kids today. Rose gets tipsy and dances with some shriners. Conrad get arrested. Albert confronts his mother and declares his love for Rose and sneaks Conrad out of town so that he won't miss his induction, putting his mother on the same train. And Albert and Rose head of for a life of Bliss as a school teacher in Pumpkin Falls, Iowa.

Memorable Songs:
The title song, "Bye Bye Birdie", "Kids" the townsfolk's lament about the state of their children, "Telephone" and "How Lovely to Be a Woman."

Awards:
Several Tony awards.

Trivia Notes:
You wanted to see Ann Margaret instead? Fine.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/rS38PiZ2-RA?version=3&amp;" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/rS38PiZ2-RA?version=3&amp;</a>

The movie differs from the play in that Albert is an inventor  and invents a pill that will greatly increase the breeding rates of livestock, as well as speeding them up. There's also a subplot with a Russian ballet and a happier ending. Oh, and a lot more Paul Lynde.

Over the years, quite a large number of riffs regarding Bye Bye Birdie snuck their way into MST3k and Rifftrax. Most of them seem to come from Kevin, for some reason, although that may be just coincidence.

In recent years, the musical has once again caught folks' attention, most due to an obsession with it from the folks behind Mad Men.

Coming Soon:
Another Hispanic subplot. It's like that Police song about weird coincidences. You know.  Da doo doo doo. Da da da da.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #88 on: May 23, 2013, 07:35:48 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/5_QffCZs-bg?hl=en_US&amp;" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/5_QffCZs-bg?hl=en_US&amp;</a>

Number 19 : West Side Story
(47 points on 3 of 12 lists. Top Vote #4 by Cole Stratton)

Synopsis:
In the 1950s, a pair of rival gangs, the Jets and the Sharks, are clashing in New York. Deciding to rumble, the leader of the Jets decides to invite Tony, a former Jet, along, but Tony no longer wishes to be a part of the gang. Nearby, newly immigrated Maria is betrothed to Chino, a member of the Sharks.

At a neighborhood dance, Maria and Tony's eyes meet and they dance and quickly fall in love before being torn away from each other by the rival gangs. As the gangs meet to discuss the terms of the rumble, Tony slips away to meet with Maria. Maria asks Tony to stop the rumble, and he heads off to do so. At the rumble, Tony's words are ignored and Bernado, leader of The Sharks and Maria's brother, accidentally stabs Riff, the Jet's leader. Tony then stabs Bernardo in return.

The Jets and Sharks, along with the police, all begin hunting for Tony, who has once again met with Maria, who plans to run away  with him. Maria meets with Anita, Bernardo's girlfriend and explains how deep her love is and Anita heads off to find Tony to warn him. But after being racially taunted by the Jets, she tells Tony that Maria has been shot and killed by one of the Sharks. Tony goes hunting for the murderer and sees Maria moments before being shot by the Sharks. Maria seizes the gun and threatens both gangs with it before breaking down in grief. And the members of both gangs slowly carry Tony away as the feud and musical ends.

Memorable Songs:
'When You're a Jet", "Cool", "America", "I Feel Pretty", "Officer Krupke". "A Boy Like That."

Awards:
Tonys, Grammys, and 10 Oscars, including Best Picture and Supporting Actress and Actor. Added to the National Film Registry in 1997.

Trivia Notes:
A tribute album to West Side Story was produced in 1996. It included songs by Selena, Trisha Yearwood and others. It also included Salt N Pepa, Def Jef, the Jerky Boys, Lisa Lopes and Paul Rodriguez singing "Officer Krupke." And that seems normal compared to Little Richard covering "I Feel Pretty."

Saturday Night Live once used "I Feel Pretty" during a sketch with Madeline Kahn, who performed the number while dressed as the Bride of Frankenstein.

Coming Soon:
Yes, still more spanish bits in the next musical. And Fiest.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #89 on: May 23, 2013, 07:37:32 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/PmTZ0mSuIIA?version=3&amp;" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/PmTZ0mSuIIA?version=3&amp;</a>

Number 18 : The Muppets
(47 points on 5 of 12 lists. Top Vote #5 by Johnny Unusual)

Synopsis:
Walter, a devoted Muppets fan, his brother Gary and Gary's girlfriend Mary head to Hollywood to visit the Muppet  show. Discovering that the Muppet studio is about to be closed and turned into an oil field unless $10,000,000 is raised, the trio set out to reunite the Muppets, raise the money and save the studio. And along the way, Mary and Gary work out some relation issues.

Memorable Songs:
Sadly, aside from the above song, there's not much new material in the film. "Man or Muppet" is an exception, and the cast does perform "The Rainbow Connection"... but we'll get back to that. They do cover "Smells Like Teen Spirit" though. On and "Mah Na Mah Na" returns too.

Awards:
Oscar for Best Original Song for "Man or Muppet"

Trivia Notes:
Original ads for the film used the title "Green with Envy" and did not mention the whole "Muppet" part until late in the trailer.

The Spanish bits? The crew is turned down by Univision and Pepe the King Prawn is Hispanic. And a prawn.

As part of promotion for the film, various Muppets appeared on WWE Raw. Yep. That seems like the target audience.

And if you were expecting, "Wow. Jason Segel has a thing for red-headed Kindergarten teachers." Yeah. The joke's already been made. Many times.

Oh, and I hope that no one was voting for The Muppet Show when they just listed "The Muppets", cause, you know. That would be awkward.

Coming Soon:
No Spanish this time, but penguins do return.