login

Author Topic: LoC 70: Top 50 Musicals!  (Read 24708 times)

Offline anais.butterfly

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1384
  • Monkey Brains!
Re: LoC 70: Top 50 Musicals!
« Reply #60 on: May 22, 2013, 11:42:48 AM »
I'm not surprised to see Chicago on this list, given it's popularity, but I absolutely LOATHE that film! One of the only movies I've ever turned off in my life. Everything I hate about film noir (well, film noir usually doesn't have songs). Everyone is unlikeable at best, and actively selfish and hateable at worst. Particularly the main character that we are supposed to be following and care about. The only likeable character is the husband, and he is shown as a weakling for being a decent guy. It was right around the time they trotted out Queen Latifah's ugly fat ass in a corset and had her sing all supposedly sexy that I checked out.

Your blatant hatred of overweight women never fails to cause an eyeroll.
Anais is the Coolest Butterfly I know  ;D

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #61 on: May 22, 2013, 11:47:32 AM »
I thought she did a great job as Mama. I suppose anyone can play her depending on what direction they want the character to go in but really I thought it was great casting.

Offline anais.butterfly

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1384
  • Monkey Brains!
« Reply #62 on: May 22, 2013, 11:48:34 AM »
Also, i just read the synopsis of Hedwig and the Angry Itch, and I will probably never watch it. It sounds really depressing :(
Anais is the Coolest Butterfly I know  ;D

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1007
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #63 on: May 22, 2013, 08:38:57 PM »
Okay, long,  rough day. But here goes:

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #64 on: May 22, 2013, 08:40:44 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/BYmn4E-kPSo?version=3&amp;" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/BYmn4E-kPSo?version=3&amp;</a>

Number 30 : Buffy the Vampire Slayer Episode 607: "Once More, with Feeling"
(34 points on 4 of 12 lists. Top Vote #9 by Johnny Unusual)

Synopsis:
On a graveyard patrol Buffy Summers, vampire slayer, suddenly bursts into a song about her dissatisfaction over the current state of her life. The next day during a meeting with her friends and watcher, she relates the fact that she began singing the night prior, although she does not give the details of the song. To her surprise, her friends note that they did as well, and then the whole crew bursts into a song about the causes about the sudden outburst of singing. Post song, they look outside to discover that all of Sunnyvale seems to be singing and dancing.

As the day continues, so does the singing. Dawn, Buffy's sister, reveals that her math class burst into song and engaged couple Xander and Anya burst into a song detailing their hesitation towards their upcoming wedding. To their horror, the deep secrets revealed in the song are remembered by the other party. Buffy's watcher Giles, suspects that some dark magic is at fault.  Later that evening, due to a stray comment from Dawn, Tara realizes that her lover Willow has been subtly altering her memories via magic. Dawn begins to sing herself, but is captured by a minion of the demon, Sweet, who seems to be behind the outbursts of song and who has been capturing people and forcing them to dance until they explode.

Elsewhere, Giles begins to wonder if his help is actually holding Buffy back in her life. And then he and Tara sing a duet vowing to leave their respective parties. As the crew gathers, the vampire Spike arrives, having captured one of Sweet's minions who open his mouth and... flatly says that Dawn has been captured and Sweet challenges Buffy to free her. Buffy heads out alone after Giles forbids the rest of the crew to help her and the cast all sing as Buffy, and then all the other cast members, head to rescue Dawn.

At the nightclub, Buffy and crew confront Sweet and Buffy reveals, via song, that when she was resurrected at the start of the season, she was dragged out of heaven when they did so. A dance fight erupts and as she begins to smoke from the dance, she is stopped by Spike, who implores her to keep living life. Sweet declares that he is owed Dawn since she summoned him, but Xander sheepishly reveals that he was the culprit there as he thought it'd be fun to see. Sweet instead leaves with a final song, noting that no one is happier now that their secrets have been revealed. And the cast begins to sing, lamenting that fact. At least until Spike snaps out of it and storms out, only to be stopped by Buffy who kisses him as the final notes play....

Memorable Songs:
Well obviously the show stopper is "The Mustard Song" celebrating the removal of mustard from a dry-cleaned piece of clothing. Other highlights include Buffy's opening song "Going Through the Motions", the Anya/Xander duet "I'll Never Tell", the incredibly filthy "Under Your Spell" and "Under Your Spell/Standing- reprise" which was sung by the two actors who could, you know, sing.

Awards:
In 2009, TV guide ranked "Once More, with feeling" as the 14th best TV episode of all time. It also won a Nebula Award for Best Script.

Trivia Notes:
The demon, Sweet, was played by Hinton Battle who played the Scarecrow in a Broadway production of The Wiz the year before "Once More" aired. He was also the choreographer for the Evil Dead musical and played "The Cat" in a US remake of Red Dwarf. Although presumably  not the same RD remake where Terry "Jadzia Dax" Farrell played that role.

When the episode aired, it sadly trailed UPN's bigger ratings success that week- an episode of WWF Smackdown. Oddly enough, that was also a musical episode. the duet between Triple H and Jericho was quite heavenly.

Coming Soon:
Hey, folks voted for it so it's a musical.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #65 on: May 22, 2013, 08:57:03 PM »
Though I still think it's a great episode, I don't care for Once More With Feeling as I used to.  Still, the songs are great (though I'll Never Tell goes on too long in my opinion), particularly Walk Through the Fire.

What was the best musical joke in this one: Spike telling the Dummy to sing or "she needs back-up".

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #66 on: May 22, 2013, 09:15:35 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/7qDgCmzh5ao?hl=en_US&amp;" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/7qDgCmzh5ao?hl=en_US&amp;</a>

Number 29 : This is Spinal Tap
(35 points on 2 of 12 lists. Top Vote #4 by George Harrison)

Synopsis:
A documentary film maker follows a heavy metal band as they sink deeper and deeper into the depths of failed stardom.

Memorable Songs:
Musically, "Tonight I'm Going to Rock You Tonight" is probably the strongest song. The funniest song is probably "Stonehenge" for reasons that I won't spoil.

Awards:
In 2002, the Library of Congress included the film as part of the National Film registry. The DVD release of Spinal Tap was also the only thing ever to be rated 11/10 by IGN.

Trivia Notes:
The Canadian band "Anvil" has had a very Spinal Tap-ish existence, as can be seen in the documentary "Anvil: the Story of Anvil." Their drummer is also named Robb Reiner.

The band has released 2 additional CDs since the film's release; 1992's Break Like the Wind and 2009's Back from the Dead.

Coming Soon:
Yeah, it's about as far from Spinal Tap's premise as you can get.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #67 on: May 22, 2013, 09:16:58 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/PnvJ6DzV0KE?version=3&amp;" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/PnvJ6DzV0KE?version=3&amp;</a>

Number #28 : Victor Victoria
(35 points on 2 of 12 lists. Top Vote #3 by Kete)

Synopsis:
In 1934 Paris,  a struggling female soprano (Victoria) colludes with a gay impresario to disguise herself as a man named Victor, who then pretends to be a female impersonator. She becomes wildly successful, at least until a Chicago mobster falls in love with her and the charade falls apart.

Memorable Songs:

Awards:
Oscar for Best Score.

Trivia Notes:
Julie Andrews was nominated for a Tony Award for her role in the 1995 musical, but refused it since no other member of the cast or crew was nominated.

The film/play itself was based on the 1933 German film Viktor und Vikoria, which also has a woman pretending to be a man pretending to be a woman. The director also shot a French version at the same time called Georges et Georgette.

Coming Soon:
The first musical reference to cider tonight.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #68 on: May 22, 2013, 09:17:51 PM »
Went from 23 to 21. BRB.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #69 on: May 22, 2013, 09:21:21 PM »
Yeah, I love this movie, but I wouldn't call it a musical so much as a comedy with music.  If the songs in the movie connected closer to the plot, I would, but sadly, only one does.

Of course, maybe this is just a viral marketing campaign to get Derek Smalls' Saucy Jack musical funded on kickstarter.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/6Bytig-oavY" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/6Bytig-oavY</a>

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #70 on: May 22, 2013, 09:37:52 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/_m0yN3j7fLU?hl=en_US&amp;" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/_m0yN3j7fLU?hl=en_US&amp;</a>

Number 27 : Guys and Dolls
(36 points on 3 of 12 lists. Top Vote #13 by George Harrison)

Synopsis:
In the depression, a gambler, Nathan Detroit, is the proprietor of the largest floating crap game in New York. But due to police pressure, only one facility will host the game, and they require a deposit of $1000. And Nathan is broke. So he makes a bet with Sky Masterson, a gambler who will bet on anything, that Sky can't get a "doll" of Detroit's choice to travel with him to Havana for a night of dancing and dining. Sky agrees to the bet and Detroit chooses Sarah Brown, a local Save-A-Soul Mission volunteer, as Sky's date. As Masterson pursues her, Detroit has a fight with his fiance.

Sky promises Brown "one dozen genuine sinners" if she'll accompany him to Havana, but she refuses. However, when the leader of the Save-A-Soul  group warns her that the mission will shut down unless sinners are found, Sarah relents to Sky's offer and heads to Havana. The pair fall for each other and then return to New York where they discover that Detroit has been using the mission to host the craps game and Sarah tosses Sky out.

Later, with both Sky and Nathan's relationships on the rocks, Sky finds the craps game, being held in the sewer, pays Detroit $1,000 saying he lost the bet and then bets each man present $1,000 against their souls. Sky wins and delivers the gamblers to the mission where, due to the influx in new sinners, the mission is saved. Both Sarah and Detroit's fiance vow to marry their respective mates and reform them.

Memorable Songs:
"Luck Be a Lady Tonight" and "Sit Down, You're Rocking the Boat"

Awards:
Many, many Tony awards.

Trivia Notes:
Fox has recently acquired the rights to the film and is scheduled to release a remake later in 2013. It's set to star Channing Tatum and Joseph Gordon-Levitt.

Coming Soon:
I'm going to have to listen to some Sex Pistols to clear my palette.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #71 on: May 22, 2013, 09:40:24 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/7dyl0j3WU6Y?version=3&amp;" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/7dyl0j3WU6Y?version=3&amp;</a>

Number 26 : Hair
(37 points on 2 of 12 lists. Top Vote #2 by Tripe)

Synopsis:
In the play, a tribe of hippies interact with the audience in a mostly plotless performance, culminating in a hallucinogen fuel spirit quest and culminates in Claude joining the army, dying, and audience members being lead up to dance on stage.

In the movie, an Oklahoman farm boy, Claude, travels to New York City  before joining the Army. There he meets a hippie tribe, lead by George Berger, who befriend him. As Claude ships out to basic training in Nevada, the tribe follow him, determined to break him out. George poses as Claude so that he can meet with socialite Shelia one last time, but while he is away, the unit ships out to Vietnam, taking Berger with them.

Memorable Songs:
Aside from the title song, "Aquarius", "Good Morning Starshine" and "Let the Sunshine In" were huge successes in the 70s. (And, no, not the one that Pebbles sang. That's a different Let the Sunshine In.) And Manchester England England across the Atlantic sea might resonate with some folks in the forum as well.  Not me though. That Atlantic Sea lyric is like eating tinfoil to me.

Awards:
Grammy for best score.

Trivia Notes:
The first London performance of Hair included as members of "the tribe" Tim Curry and Richard O'Brien, who would collaborate on a musical soon after....

Hair has been performed in many countries and over 300 versions of the soundtrack have royalties being collected for them.

As of 2003, James Rado, who helped create the play, claimed that "Hair had been performed in every nation except for Vietnam, China, India (which has done one since then) and the Arctic and Antarctic continents as well as most African countries." Since the Arctic isn't a continent and the Atlantic isn't a sea (No, not letting that go), I'd advise you not to hire Rado to tutor your children in geography. I'd also like to see North Korea's production of the play. That'd be interesting.

Coming Soon:
Yeah, thanks to Seth McFarlane, there's only one song to use...

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #72 on: May 22, 2013, 09:41:59 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/9Jj622vbrrU?hl=en_US&amp;" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/9Jj622vbrrU?hl=en_US&amp;</a>

Number 25 : The Music Man
(38 points on 2 of 12 lists. Top Vote #3 by Compound)

Synopsis:
A con man (Harold Hill) arrives in River City, Iowa and masquerades as a travelling band instructor intending to swindle the residents into creating a marching band, which he allow him toe sell them uniforms, instruments and instruction. But when the instruments arrive, Hill plans to skip town with the money.

Anticipating trouble from the town Librarian, Marian,  Hill sets out to seduce her. She initially resists his charm but after her younger brother begins to open to Hill, she begins to fall for him. Hill, falling for Marian as well, prepares to leave town, but a former victim of Hill arrives in town and exposes him. A mob captures Hill, and as they prepare to tar and feather him, the town's boys (who have been taught to play via "the think method" of visualizing how to play without every touching an instrument) arrive and play very sloppily, but to the delight of their parents. Hill is saved and stays in town to help run the band.

Memorable Songs:
Aside from Family Guy reintroducing Shipoopi to the world, other songs include "76 Trombones", "til there Was You", "Gary Indiana, Gary Indiana, Gary Indiana", "Pick a Little" and "Ya Got Trouble."

Awards:
Oscar for best musical score. Entered into the National Film registry in 2005.

Trivia Notes:
Matthew Broderick starred in a 2005 remake of the movie. I shan't talk about that version.

The Music Man was also the not very subtle inspiration for the Simpsons episode "Marge vs. The Monorail", which some Bronies took as the  inspiration for "The Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 6000." They would be wrong.

Coming Soon:
The second time on this list for this subject....

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #73 on: May 22, 2013, 09:45:04 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/6dDmcsbIeBY?version=3&amp;" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/6dDmcsbIeBY?version=3&amp;</a>

Number 24 : Wicked: The Untold Story of the Wizard of Oz
(41 points on 2 of 12 lists. Top Vote #3 by Tripe)

Synopsis:
After the death of the Wicked Witch of the West, Glinda the Good descends to tell the citizens of Oz the story of the late witch.

Years earlier, Elphaba was born to a munchkin politician. But due to her freakish green ski, she was outcast and spurned by the other citizens of Oz. But her younger sister is beautiful and beloved, although wheelchair-bound. As they grow, the pair is sent to the prestigious Shiz academy. Elphaba and the stuck up Galinda are assigned to become roommates. Skipping ahead, they fight and then become friends. After a time, Elphaba is selected to help The Wizard as his press secretary. But she soon discovers that the Wizard is not who she thought he was and has been stealing the power of speech from Oz's animals and is a criminal and a fraud. She flees, but the Wizard frames her and she flees to the West while Galinda (Or Glinda, as she's become known) stays behind in Oz.

Months pass and Glinda has become engaged to Prince Fiyero, who once pursued Elphaba. Elphaba returns to Munchkinland, and uses her powers to enchant her sister's slippers, allowing her to walk. But the sister has become tyrannical, and imposed harsh rules upon the munchkins in an attempt to keep the man she is besotted with close by. He is cursed to become a heartless tin man when he attempts to flee and Elphaba renounces her sister and leaves her forever.

She returns to the Wizard's palace, attempting to free the winged monkeys. After a bried encounter with the Wizard, she bumps into Fiyero, who professes is lover for her and runs away with her. In the meantime, the headmistress of Shiz casts a spell bringing a farmhouse to Oz which lands on and kills the Witch of the East. Elphaba arrives as the teen is leaving and is captured by the guards, but Fiyero intervenes and frees her. In the meantime, the Wizard sends a group of 4 to kill Elphaba. Glinda meets with her, the pair forgive each other and Glinda is told to take charge in Oz. The witch is then dispatched soon after and Glinda realizes that Elphaba was The Wizard's biological daughter. She orders the wizard to leave Oz. But as she speaks to the citizens, we return to the castle where it is revealed that Elphaba is in fact alive, saved by Fiyero, and the pair leave Oz forever. And then Ozma gets turned into a boy for a while...

Memorable Songs:
Aside from "Defying Gravity" the other best known song from the musical would be "Popular".

Awards:
A lot of Tony nominations, although it lost most of them to Avenue Q.

Trivia Notes:
Shrek: The Musical (sigh) "borrows" a good chunk of "Defying Gravity" in its Act I ending.

The novel which Wicked has spawned two additional sequels.

Coming Soon:
... argh I skipped writing up 23 as well. Be right back. (Although the title is oddly appropriate for my circumstance.)

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #74 on: May 22, 2013, 09:59:11 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/cIdLALcIc14?hl=en_US&amp;" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/cIdLALcIc14?hl=en_US&amp;</a>

Number 23 : A Hard Day's Night
(41 points on 2 of 12 lists. Top Vote #1 by George Harrison)

Synopsis:
The Beatles, harassed by their manager and fans, head from Liverpool to London for a TV show. Upon arrival, Paul's grandfather convinces Ringo to go out and experience life instead of hanging around, so Ringo goes for a walk. As the rest of the Beatles look for him, Ringo gets a drink, rides a bike, walks along a canal, and ends up getting arrested, along with Paul's grandfather. And then they all reunited for the concert.

Memorable Songs:
Aside from the title song, "Can't Buy Me Love", "She Loves You" and about a dozen other songs all appear in the film.

Awards:

Trivia Notes:
The words "The Beatles" are never actually said in the movie.

The novelization of the film (Yes, they made one) is the first book in the English language to have the word "grotty" in it. I'll leave it to our English folks to explain why that is significant.

Coming Soon:
Nuns! Can't make a musical without them!