login

Author Topic: June 19th, 2013- Not a good day  (Read 1472 times)

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1008
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
June 19th, 2013- Not a good day
« on: June 19, 2013, 04:59:56 PM »
Okay, let's see who died today:

Vince Flynn, author, 47, cancer
Michael Hastings, journalist, 33, car crash
Slim Whitman, singer, 90, old age
James Gandolfini, actor, 51, heart attack

Day? End already.

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
Re: June 19th, 2013- Not a good day
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 03:27:37 AM »
Plus thousands and thousands of completely non-famous people. 

Though fame is a bit of a stretch for the guys you listed too.  I've only ever heard of two of them.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6580
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 05:47:08 AM »
I'm trying to think of anything I've actually seen Gandolfini in. Because I hate gangster movies and such, I certainly never watched any of Sopranos or movies where he was a gangster.
So I'll just have to trust everybody that he's a good actor.

EDIT: Actually looking through his IMDB page, and ayeah, I haven't seen anything here (nor would I want to). Aside from Where The Wild Things Are, and I didn't even like that movie, and he was just a voice.

Offline Raven

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 177
  • Nevermore...
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 05:54:58 AM »
I'm trying to think of anything I've actually seen Gandolfini in. Because I hate gangster movies and such, I certainly never watched any of Sopranos or movies where he was a gangster.

EDIT: Actually looking through his IMDB page, and ayeah, I haven't seen anything here (nor would I want to). Aside from Where The Wild Things Are, and I didn't even like that movie, and he was just a voice.

I'd recommend Last Castle.  Not a gangster movie at all and Redford was really good.

Zombie Monty

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 09:06:49 AM »
Vince Flynn was one of my favorite authors.  His Mitch Rapp books were fantastic and hopefully someday will make for a cracking film franchise for a up and coming action star.

RIP  :(

Offline Satellite of Love

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 631
  • We Got Movie Sign!!
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 09:24:30 AM »
R.I.P. Tony Soprano

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1008
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2013, 01:33:17 AM »

Though fame is a bit of a stretch for the guys you listed too.  I've only ever heard of two of them.

Which doesn't make them not famous.
Flynn wrote 13 novels that hit the NY times bestseller chart and 6  that hit #1 on it.
James Gandolfini played Tony Soprano of the Sopranos, which a good chunk of the US was watching for a number of years.
Slim Whitman sold 120 million albums and was cited by Michael Jackson, George Harrison, Paul McCartney and Elvis Presley as major influences on their musical careers. Plus he saved the world during that Martian invasion.
And Michael Hastings, the least famous guy, was a reporter for Rolling Stone and Newsweek and was the journalist who in 2010 wrote an interview for Rolling Stone that got General McChrystal, who was heading the US operations in Afghanistan, fired.

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 7358
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2013, 07:32:32 AM »

Which doesn't make them not famous.

And it doesn't make them important either.  I'm just so sick of shit like this and this.  Once a week at minimum, someone on one or more of the forums I frequent posts one of these inane RIP random person threads.  It was obnoxious enough when it happened with actual famous people, but now people do them for obscure shit like random nobodies who had some tangential connection to the arts or journalism field.  Like you see "RIP Hans Borkface, 2nd Assistant Director for such notable films as 'The Cockroach That Ate Cincinnati'.  He will be missed."  I mean, seriously... a reporter?

It's disingenuous horseshit.  The dead guy doesn't know; he's dead.  I think that the living people make these posts to try and project some kind of image of themselves as deep people concerned about life and death.  It's a ploy to draw attention to themselves.  Probably my favorite cold open from The Office was the season 8 episode which starts with Ryan making some huge mournful stink over the death of Smokey Robinson (which turned out to be a hoax), and everyone in the office was calling him out on it.

the five] seven stages of grief:
1. denial
2. anger
3. bargaining
4. making forum threads
5. depression
6. acceptance
7. being a dick to everyone
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3331
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2013, 07:18:17 PM »

I have to assume that when you looked at IMDB, you didn't look at the part where they listed the movies he was in, because he was in The Man Who Wasn't There.

In The Loop is also very good.
FINE