Author Topic: Netflix and Amazon Prime.  (Read 1122 times)

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
Netflix and Amazon Prime.
« on: May 16, 2013, 07:29:13 AM »
Looks like Amazon Prime is trying to get the jump on Netflix by signing deal to have shows shown on them, and maybe not on Netflix.  Since Amazon has way less items than Netflix, this must be their attempt to get more viewers.  I have them both for my TV and will play on my iPad/iPhone too, so I am covered no matter what.

Dear Customers,

More exclusives for Amazon Prime members—we've just finalized a deal with NBC/Universal for Grimm Season 1, Suits Season 1, and Covert Affairs Seasons 1-2 launching today, and two new series: Hannibal coming later this year, and Defiance early next year. Amazon Prime will be the exclusive subscription service for streaming all of these hit shows for the next 4 years.

We're also adding fan favorites like Smash, Eureka, Warehouse 13, and Alphas, and more kids' shows like Curious George and Land Before Time. Prime members are already enjoying The Hunger Games, just added in April, and our brand new Amazon Original Pilots, where your feedback will help us decide which shows we'll make into full seasons just for Prime Instant Video.

In addition to unlimited streaming of more than 40,000 movies and TV episodes, Prime offers unlimited free two-day shipping on millions of items and the Kindle Owners' Lending Library—choose from more than 300,000 books to borrow as frequently as once a month with no due dates. Learn more about Amazon Prime.

Thanks for being a customer,

Jeff Bezos
Founder & CEO

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2657
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
Re: Netflix and Amazon Prime.
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 07:53:11 AM »
This is probably why Netflix stopped putting the expiration dates on the database that 3rd party websites use, effectively shutting down all the "expiring soon" sites.

Another case where competition between big companies hurts the consumer, all these exclusive deals mean you can't pick one service any more and expect to get the shows you want in the future, or even the shows you have now with that service since the deals usually only last a few years.

It will really hurt if we end up with 20 different streaming services all with exclusive deals.

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 415
  • Prepare to die, obviously!
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 12:01:22 AM »
I noticed a short time ago that all the MST3K episodes in my Netflix queue disappeared. It appear that Amazon now has an exclusive on that show.
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 02:40:48 AM »
I recently found out that Netflix actually uses Amazon Cloud Services to deliver their content.  So the lynchpin of their business runs through their biggest competitor?  That sounds like if Pepsi just rented bottling plants from Coca-Cola.  I don't understand why Amazon doesn't just, like, cut off Amazon to fuck them over or something.

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 07:04:29 AM »
 Amazon would lose cloud service customers if they started interfering with anyone for petty reasons like that.

It's funny, last year Netflix went down for a day in my area because an Amazon server farm in Maryland got hit by lighting, but Amazon VOD was still working fine.  That seemed to show that Netflix seems to have their player software locked in for your region, if the local server goes down it will not switch to one farther away. 

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 07:40:19 AM »
I think both are great companies and only good people own them and would not try and mess with each other.......... well, except they killed Blockbuster, which I loved.

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 1185
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2013, 08:02:01 AM »
On a recent business trip I learned that the iOS amazon prime app won't allow HDMI output to a TV. 

So Netflix is still the winner in my book.

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 08:10:59 AM »
That HDMI thing is probably a copy protection thing.  Amazon is way more restrictive in how a VOD is delivered, especially for downloaded copies.  I'm sure it's to please the studios, since Amazon sells and rents new releases.

I'll agree with Bob, both Amazon and Netflix seem to be run very well, very customer oriented.  I had an issue with my season pass for Warehouse 13 this week and they just added the episode without charging me.  Still haven't heard about what will happen next week, if I have to switch to buying the shows individually I will, I don't care about the $0.15 per episode savings, I do the passes so I get the emails telling me when the episodes are available.