Author Topic: Is this the first movie to have a literal...  (Read 5290 times)

Offline RockSiren

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 24
    • The Store
Re: Is this the first movie to have a literal...
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2013, 09:25:42 AM »
If such an abomination were to happen, I would hope there would at least be more than one song.

Offline losingmydignity

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 301
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2013, 06:44:03 PM »
The best thing about the hippies is...they have no profession.  Sitting in the park seems to be all they do!

Well, what with all the fires, I'm guessing they are pre-Burning Man. Well, at least they're not total Burners. No bad art in sight.

Offline RockSiren

• Schnappi Supporter
    • The Store
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2013, 08:54:21 PM »
LOL did you see the clothes, do those count?

Offline losingmydignity

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2013, 08:58:33 PM »
Well, the irony here is that BIM's (hmmm, suddenly hungry for Korean Bibimbop) are the ones who dress like Burners.

Offline LuvBJones

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 43
  • Dairy Council took my thumbs
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2013, 11:48:09 PM »
So, the BIM takeover carries the Devil/Forbidden Fruit motif through to The End Times where the Antichrist (named Boogalow, presumably more entertainment-y than Beelzebub) forces everyone to accept his mark and joins the world under a single rule.  The Devil's checkmate on humanity was instigated by the 1994 Worldvision contest, which clearly refers to the Eurovision song contest, which is more threatening to our individual freedoms than the  UN and free bicycle programs combined. Finally, the Deux Ex Mercedes comes down and raptures up all the hippies, who seemed to keep their souls simply by camping illegally and sparking a doob. Everyone else loses their souls by dancing to disappointing choreography. And another thing! Why did the actors in this seem like the same actors in Space Mutiny? Is there a farm where they raise these people? And why were all the females dressed conservatively, even by showgirl standards, while the men were stripped down to their plum smugglers? Was this movie earnest in its irony, or ironic in its earnestness? WHY WON"T THIS MOVIE LET ME SLEEP ANYMORE?  :gouge:

PS: Dandi and Pandi are Gog and Magog. I think Shake is just a lame play on the word snake. I did like his snake hood costume, and I ADORED his Amazing Stories robe! And how does this movie get away with Pandi finding redemption by date raping Alphie? I'm pretty sure it doesn't work that way, unless it's some kind of O.T. sacrifice of the innocents thing. Why did they name God Mr. Topp? Top Cat? On Top of Old Smokey? Top male seeks Bottom? This movie goes far deeper than any of us are willing to admit, MUCH deeper! I'll seal off the bathroom, you get some Kleenex boxes for shoes, you cover the windows in tinfoil, and for GOD'S sake don't use your cell phones!
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 11:58:30 PM by LuvBJones »
WARNING: In case of Rapture, this dance belt will be unoccupied.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5708
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2013, 06:55:02 AM »
So, the BIM takeover carries the Devil/Forbidden Fruit motif through to The End Times where the Antichrist (named Boogalow, presumably more entertainment-y than Beelzebub) forces everyone to accept his mark and joins the world under a single rule.  The Devil's checkmate on humanity was instigated by the 1994 Worldvision contest, which clearly refers to the Eurovision song contest, which is more threatening to our individual freedoms than the  UN and free bicycle programs combined. Finally, the Deux Ex Mercedes comes down and raptures up all the hippies, who seemed to keep their souls simply by camping illegally and sparking a doob. Everyone else loses their souls by dancing to disappointing choreography. And another thing! Why did the actors in this seem like the same actors in Space Mutiny? Is there a farm where they raise these people? And why were all the females dressed conservatively, even by showgirl standards, while the men were stripped down to their plum smugglers? Was this movie earnest in its irony, or ironic in its earnestness? WHY WON"T THIS MOVIE LET ME SLEEP ANYMORE?  :gouge:

PS: Dandi and Pandi are Gog and Magog. I think Shake is just a lame play on the word snake. I did like his snake hood costume, and I ADORED his Amazing Stories robe! And how does this movie get away with Pandi finding redemption by date raping Alphie? I'm pretty sure it doesn't work that way, unless it's some kind of O.T. sacrifice of the innocents thing. Why did they name God Mr. Topp? Top Cat? On Top of Old Smokey? Top male seeks Bottom? This movie goes far deeper than any of us are willing to admit, MUCH deeper! I'll seal off the bathroom, you get some Kleenex boxes for shoes, you cover the windows in tinfoil, and for GOD'S sake don't use your cell phones!
You're not supposed to think directly at it.

Offline RockSiren

• Schnappi Supporter
    • The Store
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2013, 09:06:22 AM »
As quoted from the Devils Hand- "finally a cult where fat guys can sway all they want."

And I think its pretty pompous to be so "down on America" when-

1.) it was filmed in Germany- hence the odd compliation of ambiguous accents ala Space Mutiny
2.) the "main and good" characters are from Canada
3.) none of the "main and featured" actors, aside from Shake, are from the USA.  They are from Germany, Canada, Russia, Jamaica, the UK (including "God" and Professor Landlady Sprout there (was she ever young?) and miscellaneous other lands

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2644
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2013, 09:51:25 AM »
Professor Landlady Sprout there (was she ever young?)

She was born in 41, so you'd have to find some of her work on TV in the 60s.

Offline RockSiren

• Schnappi Supporter
    • The Store
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2013, 10:02:57 AM »
Ah lol. 

Offline losingmydignity

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2013, 11:51:40 AM »
I was in West Berlin in the 90's. People dressed a lot weirder than the BIM's. It was pretty cool.

Offline Sugar Ray Dodge

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 541
    • Utah Graphics World
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2013, 09:35:51 PM »
In an odd way, I actually kinda like the ending of the movie. I mean, yeah, it was executed rather stupidly, but I have a soft spot for scenes in which people either find their faith and/or have it validated. Being a person of faith, I appreciate what they were trying to do, I guess is a better way of putting it, even if they did it in a very, very stupid way. I think that if you're going to create Biblical allegories, it might be best to just drop the allegory and adapt an actual Bible story. There's enough of them...

Offline Sugar Ray Dodge

• Not Hurt By Pain
    • Utah Graphics World
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2013, 09:41:07 PM »
Dandi and Pandi are Gog and Magog.

Is that who they were supposed to be? If so, they kinda sucked at it... which I guess would be consistent with the rest of Biblical allegories in the movie. I know that Alfie and Bibi were supposed to be some kind of super weird Adam and Eve, Boogaloo was the Devil and Shake... I'm still not sure who I think he is yet. He could be A LOT of different dudes, honestly.

Offline losingmydignity

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2013, 12:58:32 PM »
God help us, I just realized Terence Malick's Tree of Life has the same ending (and themes) as The Apple...

Offline LuvBJones

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 43
  • Dairy Council took my thumbs
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2013, 08:41:05 PM »
"Is that who they were supposed to be? If so, they kinda sucked at it... which I guess would be consistent with the rest of Biblical allegories in the movie. I know that Alfie and Bibi were supposed to be some kind of super weird Adam and Eve, Boogaloo was the Devil and Shake... I'm still not sure who I think he is yet. He could be A LOT of different dudes, honestly." [sorry, my quote buttons aren't working]

Well, the consistency in Biblical allegories in The Apple must be in the inconsistency. The random mingling of Genesis and Revelations kind of gave me whiplash. I think the movie was trying to be genuine in its message, but in a somewhat underinformed way. I think its telling that Golan & Globus made an end times allegory that featured entertainment lawyers as the front line of the Devil's army!
WARNING: In case of Rapture, this dance belt will be unoccupied.

Offline Sugar Ray Dodge

• Not Hurt By Pain
    • Utah Graphics World
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2013, 09:21:01 PM »
Yeah, I found the Revelations allegories strange since the director is an Israeli Orthodox Jew. Mr. Topps is sort of consistent with the God from the Old Testament, especially since there is no real New Testament Christ figure in the movie. Topps, though, didn't really smite anybody. I also found it weird that he was on speaking terms with Boogaloo, in that they speak to each other very casually, like they see each other all the time and aren't terribly hostile with one another. And Boogaloo did NOTHING to stop the Topps' disciples from following the Heavenly pimp car. But I guess I'm thinking about it way too much.