login

Author Topic: Edgar Allan Poe  (Read 5085 times)

Offline J-Proof

• J-Proof
  • The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1
Re: Edgar Allan Poe
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2007, 02:10:51 PM »
How many volumes of Anne Rice were in that shelf? Was it just that someone misplaced a novel, or were a ton of her novels in that shelf?

Anyway - I think that the standards for what goes i nthe category of "literature" on the bookshelf is mostly determined by the store that's selling the book =P (and probably mostly for their own ease of categorization)

Reverting back to Poe's "The Bells" again -- I realize he was probably heavily medicated when he wrote it, and that he was passing through time and space etc. I also get that the poem, as with any other poem, is meant to breach the barrier of language and image.

Just that personally, to me, the meter of the poem doesn't seem to work that well (but heck, neither do DaPenguins =P). Also, his use of repetition doesn't feel, to me, like it is successfully conveying the chime of bells (which was his goal).

"The Raven," however, is magnificent, along with so many other poems he wrote or was commissioned to write.

I stand firmly on one point tho - his one novel is a disaster. Poe's style of writing can work for short stories, but not for an entire novel =P
J to the Pizzo
P to the Jizzay...

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2007, 02:17:40 PM »
(but heck, neither do DaPenguins =P).

Im curious who that is a dig of actually lol

Offline Rude

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 3
  • Forum Czar
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2007, 02:27:21 PM »

I've noticed that no one really paid attention to my original post...  :'(   But i just directed a radio play of Edgar Allan Poe's story The Tell Tale Heart. We adapted the script from an Old Time Radio broadcast and performed it live on Neighborhood Public Radio here in San Francisco just last week.

The station's theme for the month of March was Madness. So me and my producer figured what better author, and what better story than The Tell Tale Heart?

-Rude

PS- I'll have an MP3 of the performance available for download soon!
"I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."<a href="http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3</a>

• Compsognathus
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2007, 02:30:48 PM »
uh rude what original post?

The station's theme for the month of March was Madness. So me and my producer figured what better author, and what better story than The Tell Tale Heart?

house of usher is a damned good story of madness i think

Offline Rude

• Forum Czar
"I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."<a href="http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3</a>

• Compsognathus
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2007, 02:36:41 PM »
heh sorry man, no one MEANT to ignore it ;)

Offline Rude

• Forum Czar
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2007, 02:38:54 PM »
Quote from: sarcasm_made_Easy
heh sorry man, no one MEANT to ignore it ;)

That's alright... i've just been crying myself to sleep every night this week. No big deal, you heartless jerks!

-Rude

• Compsognathus
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2007, 02:42:48 PM »
Hey your on public radio, you ought to be USED to no one listening to you.

Oh wait your in San Fran, thats probably all anyone listens to. LOL

Offline RandyMistie

• Liked: 116
  • Hello!
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2007, 03:20:00 PM »
How many volumes of Anne Rice were in that shelf? Was it just that someone misplaced a novel, or were a ton of her novels in that shelf?

Anyway - I think that the standards for what goes i nthe category of "literature" on the bookshelf is mostly determined by the store that's selling the book =P (and probably mostly for their own ease of categorization)

Reverting back to Poe's "The Bells" again -- I realize he was probably heavily medicated when he wrote it, and that he was passing through time and space etc. I also get that the poem, as with any other poem, is meant to breach the barrier of language and image.

Just that personally, to me, the meter of the poem doesn't seem to work that well (but heck, neither do DaPenguins =P). Also, his use of repetition doesn't feel, to me, like it is successfully conveying the chime of bells (which was his goal).

"The Raven," however, is magnificent, along with so many other poems he wrote or was commissioned to write.

I stand firmly on one point tho - his one novel is a disaster. Poe's style of writing can work for short stories, but not for an entire novel =P

All of her novels were there, and none were anywhere else!  Yes, I realize that the clerk had nothing to do with where the books go, I was really only semi-serious when I confronted him with it for that reason.  But, his answer just amazed me.  Of the two, which would you put in literature and which would you put in horror?  C'mon, that should be an easy question.  If those were the only two authors to consider, would you really put Rice in Literature over Poe?

Rude, I'm sorry, I will surely be on the look out for that radio play.
Hi!  I'm Randy and I'm a Riffaholic...

• Compsognathus
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2007, 03:29:06 PM »
Poe because sadly less people read him

Offline J-Proof

• J-Proof
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2007, 05:48:52 PM »
Poe belongs in literature, and Rice belongs in FICTION lol. I love Rice's work but it's not classic or staple "literature." Not that that should be considered a dis to Rice.

She is much more than a horror novelist. Her work is very dramatic and not very "scary" persay. Not like a King novel at least. I would put her work in "Fiction," which arguably is a more esteemed location than the "horror" section (arbitrary of course).

I guess the Canon Law for deciding what literature belongs in "Literature" is deciding which works have been the most unique and effective.

- Poe wrote some of the first truly gothic tales, many still keeping kids awake at night, and he practically invented the who-done-it mystery.
- Rice wrote fantastic stories, but vampire novels have been done before.

Again, not to dis Rice. I think her work is fantastic.
J to the Pizzo
P to the Jizzay...

Offline starfighter

• Big Montana
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2007, 05:57:12 PM »

I've noticed that no one really paid attention to my original post...  :'(   But i just directed a radio play of Edgar Allan Poe's story The Tell Tale Heart. We adapted the script from an Old Time Radio broadcast and performed it live on Neighborhood Public Radio here in San Francisco just last week.

-Rude

PS- I'll have an MP3 of the performance available for download soon!

All of this brought to mind a film of Vincent Price reading Poe short stories.   Unfortunately, my research on Amazon shows that the 2003 DVD release of "An Evening with Edgar Allan Poe" along with Corman's film of "The Tomb of Ligeia" is OOP and going for collector prices.  I mention this cause I remember seeing it on public television and really enjoying Price's performance, especially on The Tell-Tale Heart.  He also read  The Sphinx, The Cask of Amontillado and The Pit and the Pendulum.  Maybe this is still available some places, but I think I'll take a look at youtube.