Author Topic: My Janet and Cole-a-thon  (Read 1663 times)

MightyJack

My Janet and Cole-a-thon
« on: April 12, 2013, 04:38:12 AM »
To me, this dynamic duo hasn't issued a bad release. They offer a fresh, upbeat alternative to the masters (Mike, Kev and Bill) and I have had a blast revisiting these trax.

I watched my (traditional) top 2 first: Ghost and Poltergeist. My quick and dirty impression of these is that Ghost is the more consistent, but Poltergeist offers the bigger guffaws. The Zelda and Little girl voices had me howling with laughter. Both were a joy and got the ‘thon off to a rousing start.

After that I went with The Lost Boys. I originally had this ranked #3, and I still loved it, but I think it might lose that designation after watching Jaws EYE EYE EYE! I originally had Jaws ranked with Dirty Dancing as the two weakest releases (comparatively speaking, they are still a hoot and a half) but this go-through I got frequent big laughs (loved the guy with the big patch on his sweater… who gets a Hogwarts quip). Oh, and Mike's cameo was inspired.

For me it's all about my laughter, the movie is secondary. But Footloose is torture to sit through. Yes, Jaws III is the worse/silliest movie, but something about Footloose causes intense suffering -back, stomach, head and anal pain  (akin to what I feel after eating at Del Taco... wink, wink) maybe it's the forced melodrama and conflict, the trite stereotypical characters... I just loathe this film and want to smack it silly. So while the riffing was solid, I have a hard time sitting through it.

Looking forward to finishing up with Dirty Dancing and Flatliners.  And more Del Taco disses (yes, that running gag always cracks me up)

And hoping release number 8 is on the horizon.

So, are you big fan? And if so what are your favorite releases? And do you wonder -if Janet and Cole are so interested in 3rd nipples- why don't they riff the Man With the Golden Gun?

« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 04:41:41 AM by George Harrison »

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4952
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
Re: My Janet and Cole-a-thon
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 06:07:33 AM »

I can't beleive I still haven't seen their irff of Poltergeist! I totally forgot they did that one, I'll have to check it out this weekend. I wonder how it compares to the Hor-Riff-ic Productions riff? That was great.

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 698
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 09:09:57 AM »
I am a fan. I even paid for the download of the last rifftrax shorts DVD just to get the Janet Cole riffs.   I have been revisiting theirs as well because I have been redoing my riffs in HD. Next up is Poltergeist!
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

MightyJack

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013, 01:50:38 AM »
Sounds cool.

And yeah Poltergeist is a gas, a lot of gut busters.

Watching Dirty Dancing, which was even better than I remembered. It has been a while since I last caught it. Love the “Baby Want”, “Baby Hide” etc, riffs.

The film itself sits behind Footloose as my least favorite… which makes me think that maybe I just hate dancing kids in the 80s. :) – (give me Fred and Ginger in "Swing Time", any day)

Thankfully the riffing makes them bearable. 
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 01:53:06 AM by George Harrison »

Offline ColeStratton

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 260
  • I'm king of the room!
    • SF Sketchfest
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 11:52:23 PM »
Thanks for the super nice words, guys. We sure do loooooooove riffin! I know its been a while between releases -- 'fraid we just have a lot going on (and Rifftrax HQ has a lot on their plates as well), so its hard to get the stars to align to get a film picked, written and riffed. We are definitely going to do more, hopefully in the next couple of months. Thanks for watching our riffs and helping them find an audience as well!
My website!: www.colestratton.com
My podcast!: www.popmyculturepodcast.com
My comedy fest!: www.sfsketchfest.com
My goodness!

Offline Raven

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 177
  • Nevermore...
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2013, 10:40:08 AM »
Flatliners had been on my top 10 list for some time.  I have it purchased but haven't gotten around to watching it yet.  You guys pick some really great titles to riff.  I'd love to see something like Van Helsing or Congo. 

Offline Johnny Unusual

• Tells No Tales
  • Liked: 3808
  • Now you're playing with power!
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2013, 05:59:05 PM »
Hey Cole, do you think you'll do a VOD sometime in the future?  Maybe the rights to Teen Witch are within easy reach!

Offline ColeStratton

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 260
  • I'm king of the room!
    • SF Sketchfest
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 10:23:21 AM »
Hey Cole, do you think you'll do a VOD sometime in the future?  Maybe the rights to Teen Witch are within easy reach!

Hmmm. A VOD would be fun. Teen Witch? TOP THAT!

We definitely have some films we've been aching to riff, just hope we are able to get on it soon!
My website!: www.colestratton.com
My podcast!: www.popmyculturepodcast.com
My comedy fest!: www.sfsketchfest.com
My goodness!