Author Topic: The OFFICIAL 2013 NFL SEASON Thread  (Read 30782 times)

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2949
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
The OFFICIAL 2013 NFL SEASON Thread
« on: April 07, 2013, 03:13:49 PM »
Might as well get it started as a lot is happening in the off season and we're not too far from the draft.. :o

The Buffalo Bills officially haven't confirmed the acquisition of Kevin Kolb, but the team's new favorite to start at quarterback spoke about the move for the first time Thursday.

After a disastrous stint in Arizona, Kolb believes things will be different in Buffalo because of the coaching staff. He expects coach Doug Marrone's hurry-up offense to look a little different.

"Without giving away too much," Kolb told The Buffalo News, "the unique style of offense that these guys run and what they bring to the picture as far as their knowledge of the game and their creativity and their ability to be open-minded, it really excited me.

"I think a lot of times in this league you have people who are set in their ways and they follow other people's leads all the time. I'm very optimistic about what we're gonna do."

New Philadelphia Eagles coach Chip Kelly has attracted a lot of attention this offseason, but Marrone's homage to the Bills' old "K-Gun" option will be fascinating to watch, too. Kolb does not have great arm strength, but this offense could play more to his theoretical strengths of timing and accuracy.

"It was a breath of fresh air to hear Doug and offensive coordinator Nate (Hackett) and their offensive philosophy," Kolb said. "I'm excited and I want to be a part of it."

Tarvaris Jackson and a rookie to be named later should join the roster, but Kolb clearly is the favorite to start. If Marrone can turn Kolb into a useful starter, the new coach will get a deserved reputation as an offensive wizard capable of unforeseen sorcery.
Not sure if the Bills got a good quarterback or a 'Corn Kolb' by acquiring free-agent Kevin Kolb from the Cardinals  :-\
Guess we'll see..

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2400
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
Re: The OFFICIAL 2013 NFL SEASON Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 04:32:56 PM »
Getting a QB even the Cardinals did not want.......I think we know how this will go.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 04:57:34 PM »
Getting a QB even the Cardinals did not want.......I think we know how this will go.
Yeppers.. A corn-Kolb right up the arse :-[

Offline Ortega

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 21
    • Ortega's Covers
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013, 12:18:02 AM »
I think i can say, unequivocally, i do not give two shits where the hell Geno Smith ends up at the draft.  The 2013 draft class must be pretty scummy that some third rounder, Michael Vick-lite QB, gets all the attention.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 02:07:04 PM »
Round 1 of the NFL Draft:

Buffalo

Panthers

Who knows :-X

« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 02:10:41 PM by RVR II »

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 02:55:24 PM »
My three day BBQ-BOOZE-DRAFT event is underway.  Gonna be a long three days!

WOOT!

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 03:25:28 PM »
My three day BBQ-BOOZE-DRAFT event is underway.  Gonna be a long three days!

WOOT!
Wish I was there :'(

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 01:04:38 AM »
1st round:
So the Bills get a QB named EJ Manuel

And the Panthers get a DT named Star Lotulelei.. Don't know much about this guy :-\

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2013, 05:34:22 AM »
Nice comment from the STL sports page this morning talking about the draft.  RVR II will not be pleased.

Don't ask me why Buffalo drafted Florida State QB E.J. Manuel. I have no idea. But it's a copycat league and apparently the Bills believe he's RG III or something. Weird pick.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2013, 07:06:32 AM »
Welp.. Looks like the same-ol same-ol :-[

Offline Ortega

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 21
    • Ortega's Covers
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2013, 12:24:46 AM »
This draft year is a strictly meat-and-potatoes draft.  Plenty of teams with good QBs with horrible O-lines, and teams with good offense, but horrible defenses that need those missing pieces to put them over the top.  This is essentially a time for GMs to stock up on Linebackers and left tackles, as those positions were the best available this year.  Not a lot of flashy offensive players in this crop of new recruits.  Not every year will have your Luck's and RG3's. 

As far as Buffalo, they dropped Fitzpatrick during free agency and picked up Kolb.  My guess is that they hoping to do what they used to do with rookie QBs:  Have a veteran start games, and allow the rookie to absorb the system.  Not every QB is going to be great right out of the gate.

From all the tweets and comments on blogs, it seems that fans think unless you draft nothing but wide receivers, running backs, and quaterbacks, its a wasted pick.  It might not be flashy, but good guards and left tackles make Qb backs better, and they tend to stay in the league far longer than QBs and WRs.  And great defensive backs and tackles are valuable as well.  Look at New Orleans:  Drew Brees put up outstanding numbers this season, yet they had a near non-existent defense this year.  Notice that is all they have picked so far.   

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2013, 12:30:11 AM »

As far as Buffalo, they dropped Fitzpatrick during free agency and picked up Kolb.  My guess is that they hoping to do what they used to do with rookie QBs:  Have a veteran start games, and allow the rookie to absorb the system.  Not every QB is going to be great right out of the gate.

I would agree with this.  8)

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2013, 06:04:19 AM »
The Jets waive Tebown.. :o
The Tim Tebow error in New York finally -- mercifully -- is over.

The New York Jets announced Monday morning that Tebow was waived after one season with the team. NFL.com's Albert Breer and Ian Rapoport reported that Tebow was told face-to-face by new GM John Idzik and coach Rex Ryan when Tebow arrived for phase two of the Jets' offseason program.

Idzik insisted on keeping Tebow through the draft in case they could find a trade partner or use for him. After selecting quarterback Geno Smith in the second round, Tebow -- not Mark Sanchez -- is the odd man out.

Tebow threw only eight passes as a Jet and rushed the ball 32 times, with great effectiveness. Despite awful quarterback play in front of Tebow, Ryan and offensive coordinator Tony Sparano never wanted to use Tebow as a starter. And they had no idea how to use him as a backup. The Jets wasted a fourth- and sixth-round pick in exchange for Tebow in a trade last offseason that smacked of ownership involvement.

Owner Woody Johnson wanted headlines; he got them. He just didn't get a lot of victories. Ryan threw one, last useless verbal bouquet to Tebow on his way out the door.

"We have a great deal of respect for Tim Tebow," Ryan said in a statement released by the team. "Unfortunately, things did not work out the way we all had hoped. Tim is an extremely hard worker, evident by the shape he came back in this offseason. We wish him the best moving forward."

Rapoport has reported all weekend that the Jets plan to bring Sanchez to OTAs and let him compete with Smith for the starting job. It costs a lot to cut Sanchez, and it appears he will remain on the roster this season.

Tebow, on the other hand, now is cast out into the wildnerness at just the wrong time. It's going to be hard for him to get a job at this stage, much less one with a realistic shot at playing time. Tebow will go through waivers and he's very unlikely to be claimed because of his salary. After he clears waivers, Tebow will be free to sign with any NFL team.

Even if Tebow ever rises again, his stay in New York wiill go down as a huge career setback. Otherwise, his stay with the Jets will be remembered as the beginning of the end of his quarterbacking career.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 06:06:34 AM by RVR II »

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1464
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2013, 04:11:50 PM »
I'm already sick of the Tebow/Pats talk.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2013, 04:39:35 PM »
I'm already sick of the Tebow/Pats talk.
His home team the Jags don't even want him?? :D :D