login

Author Topic: Accidental actor deaths on set during fighting scenes  (Read 2564 times)

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 204
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
Re: Accidental actor deaths on set during fighting scenes
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2013, 12:02:15 PM »
I can't think off the top of my head of any ACTUALS, but there are a number of close calls.

While still not hand to hand per se, Cracked mentioned an incident on Lord of the Rings where Viggo Mortensen's deflection of a knife thrown at his head was not only awesome-looking, but saved his life.  The knife-throwing stuntman screwed up and somehow threw the very real knife incorrectly and instead of going to the side actually went directly at Mortensen.  If he hadn't deflected it, we probably would have Stuart Townsend as Aragorn after all.

That's still a mechanical error, though, and though they were only a few feet away I would still rule this out as a direct fistfight.  But it's one of the closest examples I can think of.

Of course, there is that video online of the guys auditioning for the kung fu movie and falling flat on their faces.  I find it hard to believe somebody DIDN'T die failing that badly.  "What kind of wood is this?" ;)
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 4402
  • You're all invited to my bunga bunga party!
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2013, 12:04:28 PM »
Actually probably close to what you're asking about are the Ong Bak movies with Tony Jaa. I don't think anyone actually died but lord they came close to it. Plus Tony Jaa went insane while filming Ong Bak 2 in the jungle.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2013, 12:09:39 PM »
From what I understand, the worst injuries in kung-fu movies tend to be the smaller stunts that they don't usually think twice about, as opposed to the big set pieces/final fights that get planned and blocked down to the smallest detail. For instance, one of the worst injuries of Jackie Chan's career (I want to say a skull fracture, but I'm not sure) was due to a small slip and fall when he had to hop from a tree to a wall.

Fights where it looks like someone got seriously injured... well, good. That would be the point. I often conclude chats about The Raid by saying "so they probably killed a couple guys to make that one. Totally worth it, though."

Online Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1545
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2013, 12:11:50 PM »
Let's see.  Here's what I was able to find.  The story about the gun I told seems to be about the movie the Crow, and it's what killed the lead actor in that. 

Halley Berry got pretty beat up on Gothika, and ended up with a broken arm, but I can't find out specifics of how it happened.

Viggo Mortensen's tooth was cut in half by a sword, and he almost drowned going down a river. 

A guy was mauled to death by a bear in Semi-Pro

That's as close as I could find.  No deaths from hand to hand combat. 

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2013, 12:33:20 PM »
Mauled to death by a bear?  Did Mike Ditka take someone out?