Author Topic: RIP Roger Ebert  (Read 2789 times)

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5685
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
RIP Roger Ebert
« on: April 04, 2013, 01:10:51 PM »
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-roger-ebert-dead-20130404,0,602338.story

Sad, but not altogether unexpected, news.

I shall choose to remember him in his guest appearance (along with Siskel) on The Critic.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/c_fAVEz-Y34" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/c_fAVEz-Y34</a>

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
Re: RIP Roger Ebert
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 01:22:25 PM »
He was my FAVORITE movie reviewer and his few DVD commentaries (like the one from "Dark City") were the best I have ever heard.  It was a real movie learning session on them.

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3563
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 01:44:33 PM »
I didn't always agree with him, but I have a lot of respect for him.  RIP.

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 01:57:47 PM »
Yeah, I remember disagreeing with him a number of times. But this dude was essential in bringing movie criticism and thinking into the mainstream, which in turn made it somewhat more accessible a thing for the rest of us.

Plus, all else aside, he threw all of his his at-one-point-quite-substantial weight behind supporting Dark City. I could never hate him after that.

So I'll miss the man, for sure.

Offline knightsaber1

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
  • Please Recycle After Defeating
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 03:21:46 PM »
Truly a sad day for all of us, I think. We knew it wouldn't be long, but we just didn't want it to happen anytime ever.  :'( :'( :'(

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 03:39:48 PM »
sad, he fought that cancer hard.  Damn cancer.

Read his final book not too long ago.  It was really good. 
Opticians are easy on the eyes

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 04:16:02 PM »
With scientists finding out the universe may be a computer simulation, will Ebert get in trouble with God for saying video games aren't art?

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 1185
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 04:31:08 PM »
http://www.theonion.com/articles/roger-ebert-hails-human-existence-as-a-triumph,31945/
CHICAGO—Calling the overall human experience “poignant,” “thought-provoking,” and a “complete tour de force,” film critic Roger Ebert praised existence Thursday as “an audacious and thrilling triumph.” “While not without its flaws, life, from birth to death, is a masterwork, and an uplifting journey that both touches the heart and challenges the mind,” said Ebert, adding that while the totality of all humankind is sometimes “a mess in places,” it strives to be a magnum opus and, according to Ebert, largely succeeds at this goal. “At times brutally sad, yet surprisingly funny, and always completely honest, I wholeheartedly recommend existence. If you haven’t experienced it yet, then what are you waiting for? It is not to be missed.” Ebert later said that while human existence’s running time was “a little on the long side,” it could have gone on much, much longer and he would have been perfectly happy.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 05:02:36 PM »
http://www.theonion.com/articles/roger-ebert-hails-human-existence-as-a-triumph,31945/
CHICAGO—Calling the overall human experience “poignant,” “thought-provoking,” and a “complete tour de force,” film critic Roger Ebert praised existence Thursday as “an audacious and thrilling triumph.” “While not without its flaws, life, from birth to death, is a masterwork, and an uplifting journey that both touches the heart and challenges the mind,” said Ebert, adding that while the totality of all humankind is sometimes “a mess in places,” it strives to be a magnum opus and, according to Ebert, largely succeeds at this goal. “At times brutally sad, yet surprisingly funny, and always completely honest, I wholeheartedly recommend existence. If you haven’t experienced it yet, then what are you waiting for? It is not to be missed.” Ebert later said that while human existence’s running time was “a little on the long side,” it could have gone on much, much longer and he would have been perfectly happy.
As wierd as the bottom half of his face was near the end, I am glad they went with practical effects instead of CGI.

Offline pstokely

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2013, 07:10:17 PM »
will he be buried with copies of Cop and a half and Home Alone 3? :D
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 07:39:07 PM by pstokely »

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5122
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2013, 07:19:34 PM »
After hearing about some of his future plans yesterday, this was really disheartening news.  Roger Ebert was one of the best reviewers even when I didn't agree with him and created a show that I originally watched for movie clips but eventually appreciated for their thoughtful reviews and opening my eyes to movies I would have otherwise missed.  I recommend reading his Great Movies articles on his website to find out about some great movies you might have missed or to remind yourself why some of the great movies are great.

Here are a couple I like (comedies too.  Might make you feel better)
Groundhog Day
http://rogerebert.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=%2F20050130%2FREVIEWS08%2F501300301%2F1023

This is Spinal Tap
http://rogerebert.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=%2F20010121%2FREVIEWS08%2F101210301%2F1023

Offline Starman!

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 359
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2013, 07:33:27 PM »
This just breaks my heart. He was the greatest film critic ever. I loved his DVD commentaries too. I spent a lot of my childhood/pre teen years watching Ebert & Roper (not as good as Siskel & Ebert, I know). The man was truly an idol for me. R.I.P.

Offline TheUnabeefer

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 937
  • I am a flying cow... worship me or DIE!!!
    • The Unabeefer Beefs
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2013, 07:59:56 PM »
I just have to say that I love, respect and think so highly of the man that I typed my typical "death of a celebrity" joke witty remark tweet like I usually do... thought for a second... said "That's much too soon"... backspaced it... and resumed reading his quotes.

Anyone who knows me to shy away from a joke ever doesn't really know me at all....... I will miss Roger Ebert.
...and there he was, reigning supreme at number two.  The One... The Only... The Unabeefer.

Offline Lembach

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 8272
  • Hormel Batch Master
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2013, 02:38:38 AM »

Offline KidFlash

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 173
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2013, 07:15:55 AM »
Yeah, one of my FB friends posted 'don't be a dick about Ebert' <paraphrasing>, and the responses he got were of the 'who's being a dick?' variety. My FB feed was a love-fest, but that's because I have film geek friends and family. My tribute status to him was about five paragraphs, but that is because he and Siskel were huge in my development as a writer and as a film lover. Plus he was kind enough to actually publish an article of mine on his website three years ago. I'll treasure that always.

I see that Kevin posted a picture of Ebert from the Esquire article (that you should all read) on his Tumblr.