Author Topic: What. Things. Did. We. Learn?!  (Read 6404 times)

Offline Trekker4747

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 475
Re: What. Things. Did. We. Learn?!
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2013, 03:09:08 AM »
You know, in all honesty, I thought the whole "the big battle was a vision" thing was well played. I was only vaguely familiar with how the book ended and I thought maybe I had been mistaken or they had changed it. I was honestly shocked when Carlise was killed because he was a likable character, felt for Alice when Harpo got killed, etc.  And then it was all a vision from Alice. I really thought it was well-played. A good way for the movie to have its cake (having a climatic battle) and eat it to (have it ending with the Vampire Vatican shrugging, saying "nevermind"and walking away.)

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2013, 05:20:24 AM »
The thing about the fake final battle that pissed me off was that it was so needless and gutless.  Yes they killed off some popular characters, but it was the end of the series.  You can afford to include SOME loss.  It's not like they killed off Bella and Edward.  They didn't even have the guts to kill either of the main characters in a fantasy.  It just strikes me as extremely wussy writing when you don't have the guts to force your audience to part with any characters they may have connected with, or allow your characters to experience any real or lasting consequences.  And it's even worse when you decide you want to have it both ways by having bad stuff happen, but not have it stick.  I think I'd have been less annoyed if everyone had just died in the first film, but they spent the second film looking for the dragon balls to revive them all.

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2013, 06:04:44 AM »
I learned that usually Jacob can just spontaneously fursplode into werewolf form, but sometimes, for no apparent reason, he has to strip down to his underwear first.

Why did Jacob feel the need to tell Charlie about his condition in the first place if it never led to anyone telling him about Bella's condition?

And what are they going to do a few decades from now when Bella still looks like a teenager?

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 1185
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2013, 08:19:58 AM »
You know, in all honesty, I thought the whole "the big battle was a vision" thing was well played. I was only vaguely familiar with how the book ended and I thought maybe I had been mistaken or they had changed it. I was honestly shocked when Carlise was killed because he was a likable character, felt for Alice when Harpo got killed, etc.  And then it was all a vision from Alice. I really thought it was well-played. A good way for the movie to have its cake (having a climatic battle) and eat it to (have it ending with the Vampire Vatican shrugging, saying "nevermind"and walking away.)

I actually thought it was a decent action scene.  No shaky cam.  Still couldn't tell what was going on because everyone looks alike, but the scene was good.  I'd laugh at the guy who said it matched the Avengers finale, but it was easily the best part of this terrible film series.

Apparently it never happened in the book.  They gathered for battle, crazy south American halfbreed shows up, everyone leaves.

A few online reviewers said it was actually quite a treat being in the theater opening weekend, because apparently they kept it under wraps and the fangirls were freaking out when characters started dying left and right.

<a href="http://blip.tv/play/AYOKl0UC" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://blip.tv/play/AYOKl0UC</a>
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 08:27:37 AM by Rainbow Dash »

Offline Trekker4747

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2013, 11:55:32 AM »
I saw the movie at a screening a couple night before release and there was certainly a shock from the audience when Carlisle got killed and cheers when Alice had Dakota Fanning killed.  I do agree that it was hard to feel for the werewolf deaths because I had no idea who any of them were.  I also wonder why Aro would be so bothered by his own "death."  If I understand correctly he was turned before Christ making him over 2000 years old. Certainly he'd WELCOME death at this point. That's why he expressed such giddy glee over Renesseme's hybrid status it was first new and different thing he had see in centuries.

Offline losingmydignity

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 344
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2013, 12:43:34 PM »
I just learned that some of you know way too much about the Twilight series books and movies.

Having just watched Bridget and Mike's riff of Next last week, I can honestly say I didn't expect Twilight to rip off a lousy Nicholas Cage movie.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 04:36:14 PM by losingmydignity »

Offline Trekker4747

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2013, 02:40:19 PM »
Zah? Where is the Mike/Bridger Riff?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 02:46:53 PM by Trekker4747 »

Offline blahnut

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2013, 01:21:25 AM »
I learned when your team has a guy who can set enemies on fire with his mind, he should cause a team-killing earthquake instead.
Rowsdower.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2013, 04:40:05 AM »
Why did all the good actors in the film half to act so goofily in the film?   The two guys who played the main bad guys are good.....what on earth?

Offline NRRork

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 91
    • Yep, I have a deviantART gallery. But it's pretty cheerful drawings-- no angsty poems or black-and-white photos of wooden chairs.
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2013, 08:30:02 AM »
I didn't learn a damn thing. How could I? I'm still trying to figure out what the HELL I just watched.

This movie tried to throw EVERYTHING at us-- and it all missed. And like all the others, I hated it but I am spellbound by it.
I used to have an image here, but Photobucket got cheap about remote linking. I guess I'll have to think of something witty instead. Which I will. Later. It caught me by surprise, in all honesty. It's hard to be clever on command, I mean, YOU try it. Be funny: NOW! See, tough. So, gimme a bit, 'kay?

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6691
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2013, 08:33:59 AM »
Why did all the good actors in the film half to act so goofily in the film?   The two guys who played the main bad guys are good.....what on earth?
You think anyone with any talent is going to take this shit seriously?

Offline dylan

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2013, 09:23:36 PM »
I learned about my favorite newly-revealed vampire power: having muttered conversations from 500 feet apart. Convenient when traditional vampire fighting is 90% running at your opponent while grimacing.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2013, 05:41:14 PM »
I learned that vampire sex becomes much less violent and lengthy when BOTH of them are invulnerable, rather than when one of them is soft and very breakable.

Offline Trekker4747

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2013, 07:23:57 PM »
It's interesting how quickly Edward and Bella give up sex right after we're told that vampires spend quite a deal of time at first HAVING rough, wild, sex.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2013, 05:29:40 PM »
I learned that a father won't notice when his daugter is suddenly ice cold when he hugs her.

I don't think we actually saw what the one vampire's smake plumes actually did. They say it paralizes people, but that doesn't seem too impressive compared  to some of the others.

So apparently all of a sudden the Vulturi are some kind of oppressive dictatorship?

Also, Bela's "shield" looks a hell of a lot like an even cheaper version of Invisible Woman's invisibility forcefield from the Fantastic Four movies.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 05:58:19 PM by Darth Geek »